Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become 14:53 - Feb 26 with 11241 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Do you want to leave (based on lies and a complete lack of what that would look like)? or do you want to remain (based on lies and a complete lack of what that would look like compared to leave)?

Essentially we were asked if we were hungry or not and 52% people said they were and we then all got served up a horse sh*t sandwich and told to eat.

The people that were not hungry are being told they have to eat it anyway because the people that were hungry have been told it was good for you, even those the very same people didn't get what they wanted either but are instead pretending that it's yummy and exactly what they ordered from the menu rather than refusing to gobble up what they've been given.

52% of people would rather eat a horse sh*t sandwich than admit they were wrong, misled or things could have changed.

It's essentially the time my nan got rock hard potatoes, a cremated steak and cold peppercorn sauce at The Oyster Reach and refused to complain, but paid without saying a word and left a tip anyway, because she didn't want to upset anyone. Happy to accept the financial burden of someone else's incompetence rather than make a thing of it.

What an utter disaster and it's the most 2019 thing I can think of. People making a decision without any information with which to make that decision and then years later when even the experts don't know what it means, the same people claiming that they definitely know it's right and being totally unwilling to even consider that anything could possibly have changed.

The state of this world is the only thing that ever makes me thankful I'm not much younger!
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 15:13]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 14:55 - Feb 26 with 4427 viewsSpruceMoose

Point of order. We knew what Remaining would look like. It was what we had. There were no changes proposed.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 14:57 - Feb 26 with 4418 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 14:55 - Feb 26 by SpruceMoose

Point of order. We knew what Remaining would look like. It was what we had. There were no changes proposed.

Should have expressed that better. We knew what remain would look like, but didn't know whether we'd be better or worse off because we didn't know what leave actually was.

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 14:59 - Feb 26 with 4410 viewsSpruceMoose

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 14:57 - Feb 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Should have expressed that better. We knew what remain would look like, but didn't know whether we'd be better or worse off because we didn't know what leave actually was.

Ah got you.

I agree with you.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:10 - Feb 26 with 4387 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 14:59 - Feb 26 by SpruceMoose

Ah got you.

I agree with you.

To me it's like, nearly 3 years ago, Marcus Evans had suggested we submit a bid of £3m for a player in Manchester United's Reserves and 52% of us agreeing he should go for it.

We are now in a position to bid £3m for the same player, but know he's actually been released by United, played 6 games for Bury, was released and has come on as a sub twice for Northwich Victoria.

Yet 52% of people still want us to now buy him for £3m anyway rather than admit that it's worth reassessing and making a decision based on what we actually know now.

Evans making that bid would be laughed at as complete insane. Yet people seem to be okay with the very same principal, not of some millionaire wasting his money, but a decision that could make or break them and their children for decades to come.

Unbelievable.

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:17 - Feb 26 with 4368 viewsBrianTablet

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:10 - Feb 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

To me it's like, nearly 3 years ago, Marcus Evans had suggested we submit a bid of £3m for a player in Manchester United's Reserves and 52% of us agreeing he should go for it.

We are now in a position to bid £3m for the same player, but know he's actually been released by United, played 6 games for Bury, was released and has come on as a sub twice for Northwich Victoria.

Yet 52% of people still want us to now buy him for £3m anyway rather than admit that it's worth reassessing and making a decision based on what we actually know now.

Evans making that bid would be laughed at as complete insane. Yet people seem to be okay with the very same principal, not of some millionaire wasting his money, but a decision that could make or break them and their children for decades to come.

Unbelievable.

In a kind of metaphoric heaven, it's Lee Martin being scouted by Jacob Rees-Mogg, tied to a contract by Michael Gove and then plucked from obscurity by Boris Johnson.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:19 - Feb 26 with 4360 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:17 - Feb 26 by BrianTablet

In a kind of metaphoric heaven, it's Lee Martin being scouted by Jacob Rees-Mogg, tied to a contract by Michael Gove and then plucked from obscurity by Boris Johnson.

You know what, I was reading back what I posted, read Manchester United Reserves and realised that Brexit is Lee Martin at the same time you posted!

Who was the lad that went from Tranmere to Bayern Munich and is now in the non-league and still only about 23? It would be like paying the same money now as we were willing to do when Bayern made their bid!
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 15:32]

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:21 - Feb 26 with 4345 viewsfooters

Don't worry, my friend- there are plenty of young bucks around here ready to lead the charge!

Those old little Englanders don't stand a chance.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:25 - Feb 26 with 4328 viewsBrianTablet

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:19 - Feb 26 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You know what, I was reading back what I posted, read Manchester United Reserves and realised that Brexit is Lee Martin at the same time you posted!

Who was the lad that went from Tranmere to Bayern Munich and is now in the non-league and still only about 23? It would be like paying the same money now as we were willing to do when Bayern made their bid!
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 15:32]

Leave vs Remain is basically Lee Martin vs Cole Skuse, isn't it?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:30 - Feb 26 with 4313 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:25 - Feb 26 by BrianTablet

I'd say more Kenlock v Emmanuel.

Maybe both will be good options but at the moment neither option looks like something I'd pin my entire future on.

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:41 - Feb 26 with 4288 viewsLeagueOne

Just replace the word Brexit with the phrase "Young and exciting" and you can equally make the same arguments about yourself arguing for Paul Hurst and signing all those League One players, which the owner backed based on what you wanted, when you have no real experience of running or managing a football club, thus ideally shouldn't have been listened to on your own logic, but you don't understand how it works as proven by the outcome?

SO are you as thick as Brexiteer then?

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:43 - Feb 26 with 4278 viewsBinner

Whilst I agree with much of your OP I think it is just we British rather than "the world" who've taken leave of our senses. Most other countries are not hell-bent on destroying their own economies.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:58 - Feb 26 with 4236 viewsfactual_blue

I think this is what happens next:

...vote shortly on May's plan. She's defeated. Vote on just leave or delay.

Just leave gets defeated. Delay gets supported.

The delay goes on until next there's a 'q' in the month or until Hell freezes over, whichever is the later.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:59 - Feb 26 with 4232 viewsfactual_blue

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:41 - Feb 26 by LeagueOne

Just replace the word Brexit with the phrase "Young and exciting" and you can equally make the same arguments about yourself arguing for Paul Hurst and signing all those League One players, which the owner backed based on what you wanted, when you have no real experience of running or managing a football club, thus ideally shouldn't have been listened to on your own logic, but you don't understand how it works as proven by the outcome?

You're as thick as the average norwich supporter, and most of them are at best very, very average.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:59 - Feb 26 with 4229 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:41 - Feb 26 by LeagueOne

Haven't you got a little perch to sit on so you can admire yourself in your little mirror Budgie?

It's not like that at all is it. Almost every ITFC fan, Mick fan or not agreed it was time for a change of manager (was it 86% in the Star survey towards the end of last season).

Pretty much half the British people did not want to change our relationship with the EU.

So no, nothing alike.

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 16:01 - Feb 26 with 4224 viewsChampionship

52% of people would rather eat a horse sh*t sandwich than admit they were wrong

This is just not true if polls are to be believed.
Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 16:29 - Feb 26 with 4163 viewsWonky

I voted remain, economically, judging that the there would be economic pain too soon following on from austerity.

I can't say I spent the time on the issue, (who did?), that is required to understand it with any level of authority.

That's not my job, it's too much, should not been a referendum if we don't understand upon what we are voting.
Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 19:22 - Feb 26 with 4096 viewsbritbiker

I was a remainer but I dont get the whole argument that brexit voters didnt know what they voted for or are thick. Most remainers didnt know what they were voting on either except that its easier for nothing to change.
The EU is nothing like its original conception and none of us know for certain what it will eventully become. For example, what happens when the next or several countries require a bail out? Would Germany or France ever allow interest rates that dont suit their economies rather than one that helps smaller nations.
But as I said earlier, I voted remain but dont pretend I understand it.
Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 19:47 - Feb 26 with 4074 viewsDarth_Koont

Brexit is actually a good thing (not in the sense of leaving the EU without a scoobie because that's obviously very, very bad).

But in terms of a 2019 democracy in a developed country, it's an experiment that puts what we believe or want to be true in direct conflict with what actually is. It's pretty unique in that sense as most politics is based on beliefs, narratives and woolly promises that we'll never agree on but here we suddenly have to deal with reality and to a timescale too.

The only comparable situation is a war where your political beliefs have to measure up to the gritty reality of bad things happening to people. But here, there is no enemy, no war and no cause unless we're fighting reality itself.

Against all that, it's been a test of our political system which has failed to deal with reality abysmally — and crucially the details because that's what reality is. If we're going to take anything from this sorry exercise in futility then perhaps it's getting a better understanding of just how under-represented we are and how much has to change to get the politics and public debate we need and deserve.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 19:57 - Feb 26 with 4060 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 14:55 - Feb 26 by SpruceMoose

Apart from the compulsory goose stepping lessons and being branded with an image of Merkel reclining seductively whilst Macron feeds her peeled (foreign) grapes, of course. I read about it in the Express (or maybe it was on Moggy’s twitter feed).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 19:58 - Feb 26 with 4054 viewsBlueBadger

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 15:25 - Feb 26 by BrianTablet

Mick vs Keane, innit.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 19:59 - Feb 26 with 4054 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think the correct description is post-truth politics = “a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored”.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 20:20 - Feb 26 with 4023 viewsDarth_Koont

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 19:59 - Feb 26 by Swansea_Blue

I think the correct description is post-truth politics = “a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored”.

Well said. I'd like to have included that in my post.

That's where this whole Brexit fiasco is a force for good somehow — an inescapable reality that exposes post-truth politics for the nonsense it is.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 21:06 - Feb 26 with 3965 viewsOxford_Blue

Yeah. Loss of democracy, sovereignty and being part of a United States of Europe.

Precisely why it right to leave.
Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 21:45 - Feb 26 with 3907 viewsBlueBadger

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 21:06 - Feb 26 by Oxford_Blue

Yeah. Loss of democracy, sovereignty and being part of a United States of Europe.

Precisely why it right to leave.

Just out of interest, how do I vote for a representative at the WTO or the board of Kraft?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 21:47]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 21:52 - Feb 26 with 3897 viewsfooters

Brexit is just a metaphor for how totally mental the world has become on 21:45 - Feb 26 by BlueBadger

Just out of interest, how do I vote for a representative at the WTO or the board of Kraft?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 21:47]

Not sure on the former, but on the latter you simply write their name on a cheese single and pop it in the ballot box.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024