Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League 1 promotion at first attempt 12:16 - Mar 7 with 2563 viewsskyblue23

I've seen many people who believe this relegation is the start of a long stay in league 1, but when I look through our squad it actually gives me confidence we could bounce straight back.

Emmanuel - Won promotion and young player of the year at Rotherham last season.

Chambers - If stays is clearly a natural leader, some performances may have dropped but we're also dropping a league to a lesser standard.

Woolfeden - Having a very good season at Swindon this season and will hopefully be ready to slot in.

Dozzell - Managers have discussed about his strength in the Championship, if we don't give him games in league 1 I'd be very surprised as he's clearly talented.

Bishop - If he can stay fit he would easily be one of the better players in league 1.

Judge - If we manage to keep him he will also be one of the better players in league 1.

Huws - If by some magic we can get him fit for next season he would be one of the better players in league 1.

Edwards - Brilliant player early in the season, had a dip in form and an injury but now looking back to his best. Also knows league 1 and has done very well previously.

Downes - Had rave reviews on loan in league 1 with Luton last season and become a regular for us this season.

Harrison - Injuries haven't helped but I have liked what I've seen when he's fully fit. League 1 may be his level to shine.

Jackson - Personally don't rate the guy, always seems offside and although people talk of his pace I just don't think he looks that pacey in the championship. League 1 which he skipped may well be his level.

Obviously these are all my own opinion and I haven't mentioned every single player we own, but I think we have a real good core of a team here with the youngsters coming through. All depending on being fit/staying etc. But this is where Evans needs to choose if league 1 is where we're staying, or if a return to the championship is a must!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:19 - Mar 7 with 2178 viewsGarv

A lot of good points but I have to say I wouldn't be holding out for Huws, and Judge signing is a long way off I feel.

Edwards, Harrison and Bishop will be big players I feel. Probably Chambers and Skuse as well.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:19 - Mar 7 with 2178 viewsSuperblue95

Luton were in league 2 when Downes played there.

We certainly have the potential and a good chance to bounce back. I just worry that there might be a negative, losing mentality at the club. After all, we’ve had one good season in the past 15 and even that one tailed off at the end

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:23 - Mar 7 with 2132 viewstextbackup

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:19 - Mar 7 by Superblue95

We certainly have the potential and a good chance to bounce back. I just worry that there might be a negative, losing mentality at the club. After all, we’ve had one good season in the past 15 and even that one tailed off at the end

tailed off after xmas, so half a good season in 15

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:24 - Mar 7 with 2141 viewsmaccyd9

We'll romp it. Aside from the one's you mention :

Bart or Gerken will be as good anything in the division.

Nolan & Nsiala were the two best players in a play off final side.

Harrison scored 12 goals in League 1 last year in a poor Bristol Rovers.

Edwards was Peterboro's best player.

That doesn't even consider the likes of Sears, Collins, Keane, Lankester, Ward who will all find League 1 a doddle.

Up by March 2020.
League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:25 - Mar 7 with 2136 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think that's where Lambert comes in. Even though we're hapless, for some reason he's kept the moral up. I'm sure after they've had time to regroup in the summer he'll have them up for it next season. Whether he'll have the quality he needs is a different matter, and we won't know until we see what happens with any departures/arrivals.

I wasn't especially optimistic, but then those stats someone posted the other day on promotions following relegation to L1 were heavily stacked in our favour. Something like 50% of clubs come straight back up wasn't it?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:27 - Mar 7 with 2113 viewstextbackup

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:24 - Mar 7 by maccyd9

We'll romp it. Aside from the one's you mention :

Bart or Gerken will be as good anything in the division.

Nolan & Nsiala were the two best players in a play off final side.

Harrison scored 12 goals in League 1 last year in a poor Bristol Rovers.

Edwards was Peterboro's best player.

That doesn't even consider the likes of Sears, Collins, Keane, Lankester, Ward who will all find League 1 a doddle.

Up by March 2020.

especially when re-action get going in section 4

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:27 - Mar 7 with 2121 viewsGeoffSentence

That's the core of the team that has struggled against Bolton, Reading and Rotherham this season, two of whom will be in league one with us next year fighting for promotion alongside us.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:28 - Mar 7 with 2097 viewstextbackup

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:27 - Mar 7 by GeoffSentence

That's the core of the team that has struggled against Bolton, Reading and Rotherham this season, two of whom will be in league one with us next year fighting for promotion alongside us.

best we take the playoff final win then

Login to get fewer ads

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:29 - Mar 7 with 2102 viewsKieran_Knows

For as sh*t as Rotherham were a couple of seasons ago, they managed to come straight back up.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:29 - Mar 7 with 2102 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Had posted this above before seeing your thread, my view;

Granted, we need additions for next season, but I think key first team members will include;

Nsiala (proven at L1)
Nolan (proven at L1)
Bishop
Downes
Dozzell
Harrison (proven at L1)
Sears (proven at L1)
Woolfie
Edwards (proven at L1)
Lankester

Judge and Keane will be key if we keep them, but I'm not confident.

Fringes: Nydam, Jackson, Kenlock, Emmanuel. (Can see Jackson being a surprise package next season, dont ask why)

Skuse / Chambers? Happy for them to stay, but can see them leaving, mainly based on wages v utility.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:29 - Mar 7 with 2107 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s worth remembering: NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING. See last summer when all the experts told us Norwich would crumble and die without Gunn and Maddison. Again, we know nothing.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:33 - Mar 7 with 2057 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Its not.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:34 - Mar 7 with 2054 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:29 - Mar 7 by Illinoisblue

It’s worth remembering: NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING. See last summer when all the experts told us Norwich would crumble and die without Gunn and Maddison. Again, we know nothing.

Phil / Gav - Close the board down on this basis please.

We are done.

....to be fair, I dont disagree.

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:37 - Mar 7 with 2025 viewsGeoffSentence

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:33 - Mar 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its not.

To be fair, some of those players weren't good enough to get into the team that has struggled against our fellow relgation contenders.

Much as I would like to think otherwise, League one will not be a breeze.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:38 - Mar 7 with 2013 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Fair point, it was interesting earlier in the season hearing DJ say what an impact Magic had when he came to the club. Not just his technical ability, but his attitude and standards.

We need a couple of really good senior pro's adding to the team.

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:39 - Mar 7 with 2007 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:37 - Mar 7 by GeoffSentence

To be fair, some of those players weren't good enough to get into the team that has struggled against our fellow relgation contenders.

Much as I would like to think otherwise, League one will not be a breeze.

I dont think it will be a breeze, but I think we'll be competitive.

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:41 - Mar 7 with 1988 viewsRadlett_blue

And who failed to beat Exeter & Accrington this season in our 2 games against lower league sides.
Teams will also play harder than usual against Town, given that we will be one of the bigger names in Division 3.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:43 - Mar 7 with 1969 viewsGarv

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:41 - Mar 7 by Radlett_blue

And who failed to beat Exeter & Accrington this season in our 2 games against lower league sides.
Teams will also play harder than usual against Town, given that we will be one of the bigger names in Division 3.

We had similar cup results when we were challenging for the play offs a few years ago.

Cup games are a different kettle of fish...for us.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:58 - Mar 7 with 1878 viewsBinner

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:29 - Mar 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Had posted this above before seeing your thread, my view;

Granted, we need additions for next season, but I think key first team members will include;

Nsiala (proven at L1)
Nolan (proven at L1)
Bishop
Downes
Dozzell
Harrison (proven at L1)
Sears (proven at L1)
Woolfie
Edwards (proven at L1)
Lankester

Judge and Keane will be key if we keep them, but I'm not confident.

Fringes: Nydam, Jackson, Kenlock, Emmanuel. (Can see Jackson being a surprise package next season, dont ask why)

Skuse / Chambers? Happy for them to stay, but can see them leaving, mainly based on wages v utility.

Regarding Jackson...

Can anyone remember what Lambert said about him after the Reading game. Lambert was asked why Jackson hadn't been used as sub given our shortage of fit strikers. My phone rang at that moment and I only half heard Lambert's reply but he sounded bristly and said something like "I pick the side". If I heard right I wonder whether Jackson has found his way into Lambert's bad books...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:00 - Mar 7 with 1853 viewsMullysplace1

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 12:39 - Mar 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont think it will be a breeze, but I think we'll be competitive.

I think we will struggle. Its going to be a culture shock for our youngsters. Big brutes kicking them up in the air every game. Its going to be a tough season
League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:01 - Mar 7 with 1849 viewsVaughan8

Downes had rave reviews at Luton for the first few games, then he went off the boil according to some ST holders I know. Definitely should be a decent enough player in League 1 though. Hes ok in the championship.

I generally feel that youth/younger players will get more of a chance in League one, and it could well help us bring these players through!
League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:05 - Mar 7 with 1807 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:00 - Mar 7 by Mullysplace1

I think we will struggle. Its going to be a culture shock for our youngsters. Big brutes kicking them up in the air every game. Its going to be a tough season

Agree to differ.

Emanuel
Woolfie
Nydham
Downes
Lankester

....all of the above have experience in lower divisions, so not sure how much of a shock it will be.

Supplement plenty of lower league experience to that;

Nsiala (proven at L1)
Nolan (proven at L1)
Harrison (proven at L1)
Sears (proven at L1)
Edwards (proven at L1)

So its only really Bishop and Dozzell who will get the 'culture shock', and I would back them to overcome it.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2019 13:07]

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:41 - Mar 7 with 1688 viewsSteve_D

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:05 - Mar 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agree to differ.

Emanuel
Woolfie
Nydham
Downes
Lankester

....all of the above have experience in lower divisions, so not sure how much of a shock it will be.

Supplement plenty of lower league experience to that;

Nsiala (proven at L1)
Nolan (proven at L1)
Harrison (proven at L1)
Sears (proven at L1)
Edwards (proven at L1)

So its only really Bishop and Dozzell who will get the 'culture shock', and I would back them to overcome it.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2019 13:07]

These people predicting. A quick return and an easy romp up the league are the same people predicting we would be top halve or playoffs this season
League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:51 - Mar 7 with 1648 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:41 - Mar 7 by Steve_D

These people predicting. A quick return and an easy romp up the league are the same people predicting we would be top halve or playoffs this season

Haven't seen much evidence of either of those types of people.

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 14:04 - Mar 7 with 1590 viewsSouperJim

League 1 promotion at first attempt on 13:41 - Mar 7 by Steve_D

What a pointless statement - if you were optimistic enough to think this squad would finish in the top half of the championship, you're not likely to now think they'll struggle in league one are you?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024