Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
St Patricks celebrations in the US 16:00 - Mar 15 with 1560 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I've slightly changed my mind as I used to absolutely despise this weekend. As much as I hate the college crowd in green bud light t shirts throwing up everywhere who have probably been to Dublin once and declare themselves Irish American, there is another side of it

Obviously in the north east of the this country there is a long standing link to Irish immigration. Last year I got out of the city and the annoying pub crawls with a friend who's granddad has been here for 70 years from straight off the boat to Ellis island style went to an authentic Irish pub in the middle of nowhere Connecticut. It was pretty cool to drink all night and enjoy the traditional Irish music and tales all very friendly and welcoming and colorful people.

Of course if anyone dare celebrate their British heritage or fly the union jack they'd instantly be a racist. Which is bizarre considering the very moderate politics we have to much of European counterparts for the last half century. Wish we had a day to enjoy for ourselves apart from a wedding every 5 years. That won't happen for a while now for obvious reasons.

Americans: July 4th
Irish: St Patrick's
Dutch: Queens / Kings Day
Many others I am sure....
England ??
[Post edited 15 Mar 2019 16:02]
St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:03 - Mar 15 with 1535 viewsReuser_is_God

Anyone who isn’t Irish but celebrates St Paddy’s day is an absolute weapon.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:05 - Mar 15 with 1526 viewsDarth_Koont

In terms of Ireland, the UK certainly was the enemy.

I read an interesting snippet the other day about the Irish Government at the start of the Second World War weighing up if they were going to be invaded and annexed by Germany or the UK.

The UK has a shameful historical record when it comes to Ireland so not as strange as it sounds.

Pronouns: He/Him

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:05 - Mar 15 with 1524 viewsitfcjoe

Get to Chicago and see the Green River.

Agree with your main point though, other than World Cups and Royal Weddings, flying the cross of St George or the Union Jack is frowned upon

Edit - And Last Night of the proms
[Post edited 15 Mar 2019 16:06]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:10 - Mar 15 with 1491 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:03 - Mar 15 by Reuser_is_God

I know, in the North East US I think the celebrations must be as big if not bigger than Dublin. Some of these people haven't stepped foot in Ireland for 50 years and sound as if they've never left. I found it an interesting anyway evening anyway.
St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:17 - Mar 15 with 1458 viewsZedRodgers

Not long til our big one...

No, not at the moment

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:23 - Mar 15 with 1434 viewsMattinLondon

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:17 - Mar 15 by ZedRodgers

Whoever wears that crap has a strange idea of what independence means.
St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:23 - Mar 15 with 1430 viewsEastTownBlue

As for people who wear those Guinness hats ...
St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:36 - Mar 15 with 1385 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:05 - Mar 15 by itfcjoe

Get to Chicago and see the Green River.

Agree with your main point though, other than World Cups and Royal Weddings, flying the cross of St George or the Union Jack is frowned upon

Edit - And Last Night of the proms
[Post edited 15 Mar 2019 16:06]

Chicago has a big Irish population as well. The river thing is exactly gimmick stuff I try and avoid though/

It's ridiculous when you the Trump stuff nowadays really as things like this weekend show ow the entire country was built on immigrants European, Mexican or otherwise.
Login to get fewer ads

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:49 - Mar 15 with 1357 viewsGeoffSentence

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:17 - Mar 15 by ZedRodgers

even if you go with that, it is a British not English thing as per the OP

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 16:58 - Mar 15 with 1331 viewsSwansea_Blue

I imagine the vast majority who celebrate on St P’s day are really celebrating ‘get as pissed as you can’ day. That goes for the Irish too!

St P during Cheltenham was a blast when I was at College there - led by the Irish punters, but easy to get swept along with it all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

St Patricks celebrations in the US on 17:42 - Mar 15 with 1277 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Last year I was in Barcelona for St. Patrick's Day. Good atmosphere in the Irish bars, a few of them flew out on our flight over there and were a good laugh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024