Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
thoughts on next season? 11:51 - Apr 12 with 2338 viewsdwrawa

I posted a while ago that I thought getting rid of MM might bite you on the harris and was pretty much told to mind my own (Which is fair enough as I'm a Barnsley fan)

Paul Lambert for me is from a similar school of managers as MM and didnt really see it as an ambitious appointment and wouldve been quite underwhelmed had he joined us. Paul Hurst fair enough - I wouldnt have minded him at Oakwell but the lure of a bigger club in yourselves proved too much and seemed to be a bit of a car crash and naive tactically from what I can gather

Is your squad good enough to be competitive next season in the ale houses? littered with academy graduates etc ?

If its any consolation its been refreshing going to games with a sense of belief that we might actually win most weeks as opposed to the opposite in the championship where we cant seem to compete.
thoughts on next season? on 12:20 - Apr 12 with 2268 viewsPendejo

We're heading on an adventure, one that could take us to the 4th tier and beyond...

I think MM had run his course at Ipswich, he did a fantastic job then lost the plot.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

thoughts on next season? on 12:25 - Apr 12 with 2263 viewsReuser_is_God

A couple of things.....

We didn't get rid of Mick, it was a mutual decision.

We haven't been relegated because we parted ways with Mick.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

thoughts on next season? on 12:27 - Apr 12 with 2247 viewsITFC_Forever

Mick had to go.

Hurst coming in like a wrecking ball was the problem that has caused this mess, not Mick leaving.

And that's before you then consider the macro-environment in the Championship at the moment.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Genuine question.... on 12:29 - Apr 12 with 2224 viewsBloots

thoughts on next season? on 12:25 - Apr 12 by Reuser_is_God

A couple of things.....

We didn't get rid of Mick, it was a mutual decision.

We haven't been relegated because we parted ways with Mick.

....do you think we'd have been relegated if he was still here?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Genuine question.... on 12:32 - Apr 12 with 2219 viewsReuser_is_God

Genuine question.... on 12:29 - Apr 12 by Bloots

In a word, no.

However making the change was still the right thing to do, unfortunately Hurst (who you were a big advocate of) royally fcuked it up.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Agreed. (n/t) on 12:33 - Apr 12 with 2199 viewsBloots

Genuine question.... on 12:32 - Apr 12 by Reuser_is_God

In a word, no.

However making the change was still the right thing to do, unfortunately Hurst (who you were a big advocate of) royally fcuked it up.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Genuine question.... on 12:35 - Apr 12 with 2194 viewsdwrawa

No I dont...I'll get the tin hat on! He certainly wouldnt have done any worse!

If you want a man on a budget and you had to name a few managers it would have to be Mccarthy and Warnock

Granted from what I've read before the football wasnt scintillating but you can only work with the tools you've got

The championship as per a previous reply is right in that there are now becoming leagues within a league (similar to the premiership) and I can honestly say I wouldnt be gutted if we didnt go up because you only have to look at the 3 that did last season and none of them have pulled up any trees and I fear we would be the same and its not enjoyable being spanked every other week - or more annoyingly when we outplay teams for 60 minutes and lose because of a short spell of pressure.

The finishing in Lge 1 is an eyeopner!!
thoughts on next season? on 12:38 - Apr 12 with 2172 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lambert has proven not to be the same as McCarthy so far in several ways.

MM turned round a team firmly headed for League 1 and kept us up before taking us to the play-offs and then a couple of seasons of drifting. He did so with solid, pragmatic football and an arrogance in the press that saw him alienate too many fans.

Lambert has improved the style of play but taken us backwards in terms of results. He has been severely hampered by the squad and injuries but he has a lot to prove still.

How do you fancy your chances of promotion this season? Are you resigned to the play-offs or do you think you might still compete for the top two? Do you think we will enjoy football in League 1 more or less than the Championship? How we have both fallen since the play off final 19 years ago.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

thoughts on next season? on 12:57 - Apr 12 with 2094 viewsFtnfwest

We may have survived with MM but we'd have been playing in front of L1 attendances and the overall trend was downwards anyway. Made some decent short term recruitment the year before last.
Lambert who knows. Deserves a shot at it next season but quite a bit to prove.
thoughts on next season? on 13:03 - Apr 12 with 2068 viewsdwrawa

thoughts on next season? on 12:38 - Apr 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Lambert has proven not to be the same as McCarthy so far in several ways.

MM turned round a team firmly headed for League 1 and kept us up before taking us to the play-offs and then a couple of seasons of drifting. He did so with solid, pragmatic football and an arrogance in the press that saw him alienate too many fans.

Lambert has improved the style of play but taken us backwards in terms of results. He has been severely hampered by the squad and injuries but he has a lot to prove still.

How do you fancy your chances of promotion this season? Are you resigned to the play-offs or do you think you might still compete for the top two? Do you think we will enjoy football in League 1 more or less than the Championship? How we have both fallen since the play off final 19 years ago.

Our problem is every time we get a decent player or 2 we sell them on and dont reinvest the profit as we were promised - buy at 250000 sell at 2m, buy at a 1m sell at 4m and so on... however its flawed in the fact that if players keep seeing you dismantling a winning formula and becoming a yo-yo club then it lessens the appeal!

We have fallen foul of a poor January transfer window when we should've strengthened but in true Barnsley promotion chasing style - we sold! (As we did in the championship a couple of years ago when in 7th in January!)

I think we have come unstuck and the loss of kieffer moore (dont laugh!!) has hit us quite hard as we have very little depth in the squad. In fairness to Moore this is his natural level for the time being (as you see with alot of championship players who are better than the division but not good enough for the PL). My gut instinct thinks if we dont get automatic (Which I dont) will see us feel sorry for ourselves and come unstuck in the playoffs as alot of the teams in it had half resigned themselves to the fact that it was their most likely route out of the division

I think you'll find League 1 quite refreshing. Our manager has us playing some cracking football at times and we'll do well to keep hold of him as someone higher up the football food chain will poach him. The main thing I've noticed is that the better players in the team seemed to be marked men and get offered very little protection from the officials. There are some proper knuckledragging tactics deployed by the opposition. You seem to have to win your battles before you can play your football

That 2000 playoff is a distant memory - all i can remember is Hignett scoring in the first few minutes, Barnard missing that bloody penalty, Richard Wright (?) making a cracking save from Hristov - how he got to that is still beyond me - and then Martin bloody Reuser breaking free at the end!! Did Mowbray score/play for you that day as well?
Genuine question.... on 13:31 - Apr 12 with 1995 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

DLWWDLLLDL

Possibly, things werent that rosy when he left.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Genuine question.... on 13:32 - Apr 12 with 1993 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Genuine question.... on 12:32 - Apr 12 by Reuser_is_God

In a word, no.

Agreed.

Hurst being the wrong manager doesnt make Mick the right one.

He would have left for ROI in Nov anyway.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

thoughts on next season? on 13:34 - Apr 12 with 1982 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We've got loads of L1 experience.

That's a problem this season, but a strength next season.

If the young players arent OK for L1 then they havent got a career ahead of them.

thoughts on next season? on 14:06 - Apr 12 with 1939 viewsdwrawa

thoughts on next season? on 13:34 - Apr 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

We've got loads of L1 experience.

That's a problem this season, but a strength next season.

If the young players arent OK for L1 then they havent got a career ahead of them.

Ive said the same thing about our young players - although the average age of the squad is about 21/22 and is the youngest in the division if not the country - that if they dont cut it now in a side playing with confidence in the 3rd tier of english football then you can argue they simply arent good enough - at least for a few seasons.

We have lacked experience recently because of the recruitment policy which doesnt allow players to be signed over 25.

How is Kayden Jackson as a player as he never put the shirt on at oakwell after we signed him?

Going back to a previous reply on games gone by between our clubs - I remember one in about 1995 and we were 3-0 with about 5 minutes to play - mick stockwell i think got 1 or 2 and Ian marshall I think got 1. 3 goals in the last 5 minutes!!
thoughts on next season? on 14:12 - Apr 12 with 1909 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

thoughts on next season? on 14:06 - Apr 12 by dwrawa

Ive said the same thing about our young players - although the average age of the squad is about 21/22 and is the youngest in the division if not the country - that if they dont cut it now in a side playing with confidence in the 3rd tier of english football then you can argue they simply arent good enough - at least for a few seasons.

We have lacked experience recently because of the recruitment policy which doesnt allow players to be signed over 25.

How is Kayden Jackson as a player as he never put the shirt on at oakwell after we signed him?

Going back to a previous reply on games gone by between our clubs - I remember one in about 1995 and we were 3-0 with about 5 minutes to play - mick stockwell i think got 1 or 2 and Ian marshall I think got 1. 3 goals in the last 5 minutes!!

Jackson is very quick, but lacks control and awareness. Maybe he'll be better in L1, the Champ was a jump too far.

Who knows.... good old Keifer Moore came to us from non-league and was no where near good enough for the Champ. But he keeps ripping L1 apart.

thoughts on next season? on 14:15 - Apr 12 with 1897 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Getting rid of Mick was not the issue. It was time as agreed by all parties.

The issue was who we replaced him with.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to replace your oven because it just doesn't work any more. The problem is that we replaced him with a lighter which we tried to hold under a frying pan.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

thoughts on next season? on 14:16 - Apr 12 with 1896 viewsrickw

We have a group of youths now coming through and perhaps a year or 2 in League 1 will really help them progress - with the right experienced players to help them.

McCarthy had to go, not just because attendances were dropping to lowest levels in decades, but also because of our youngsters. They are generally smaller technically gifted players, where-as McCarthy likes his battle hardened grafters who would run through brick walls for him - and these youths would never reach their potential under him.

Lambert has said he's going to base the team around them next season, so we'll see how quickly they can adapt and impose their talents on some of the more physical teams in L1. Emmanuel, Kenlock, Woolfenden, Bishop, Dozzell, Downes, Nydam and Lankester are all already in or around the first team with perhaps some of Wright, Morris, Folami, El Mizouni and Ndaba pushing for first team action too next season.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

thoughts on next season? on 14:37 - Apr 12 with 1847 viewsdwrawa

thoughts on next season? on 14:16 - Apr 12 by rickw

We have a group of youths now coming through and perhaps a year or 2 in League 1 will really help them progress - with the right experienced players to help them.

McCarthy had to go, not just because attendances were dropping to lowest levels in decades, but also because of our youngsters. They are generally smaller technically gifted players, where-as McCarthy likes his battle hardened grafters who would run through brick walls for him - and these youths would never reach their potential under him.

Lambert has said he's going to base the team around them next season, so we'll see how quickly they can adapt and impose their talents on some of the more physical teams in L1. Emmanuel, Kenlock, Woolfenden, Bishop, Dozzell, Downes, Nydam and Lankester are all already in or around the first team with perhaps some of Wright, Morris, Folami, El Mizouni and Ndaba pushing for first team action too next season.

For me our recruitment policy has significantly hindered us. At this level you need someone who might not be very gifted in footballing terms but who knows how to stick their boot in. Like I said with this division you seem to have to win the individual battles - especially in the centre of the park before that bit of quality comes through - I dont think you'll have it dissimilar next season - teams will try to kick you about, park the bus and the minute you go a goal up they have to chuck their gameplan out of the window and actually have to consider playing a bit of football.

i will forewarn you though - if you think the refereeing is bad in the championship it gets eclipsed by whats on offer in league one. Truly awful. No word of a lie I'm sure the linesman/referees get their days out as part of a 'gift experience' for fathers day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024