Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough 12:11 - Apr 15 with 1832 viewsSteve_M

Please take a moment to remember that 96 people went to watch a football match, something most of us do many times a year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hillsborough-anniver https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hillsborough-anniver

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:19 - Apr 15 with 1794 viewsITFC_Forever

RIP to all those that died and my thoughts are with their families, and all the survivors (hope you're ok BL if you're reading this).

I was 14 years old, the same age as one of the boys who lost his life.

We had Bradford away that day and away games were another six months in the future for me, so I had been in to town. When I got back, I turned the stereo on to Radio Orwell / SGR / whatever it would have been then to find out the Town half-time score and they were talking about Hillsborough and the horror that was unfolding there.
My Mum's reaction was to instantly ban me from going to football ever again.... although she did then start to realise that may have been a slightly OTT reaction.

If you read books on the subject (The Truth - Phil Scraton, And The Sun Shines Now - Adrian Tempany) or have a browse of RAWK's Hillsborough section, the first-hand accounts from those who were there are harrowing stuff.
And then to add insult, the facts that became apparent after the event as to what went wrong before the event, during the event and the subsequent the cover-ups, corruption and lack of justice makes it all a thousand times worse.

JFT96.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:22 - Apr 15 with 1785 viewsgainsboroughblue

I was watching Town at Bradford that day and it felt so surreal, especially given it had only been a few years since there was awful tragedy there.

The coach journey home was a very quiet one indeed.

RIP the 96.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:22 - Apr 15 with 1786 viewsEwan_Oozami

Eldest Oozami's Liverpool-born boyfriend's Grandad and Uncle were in the Leppings Lane stand that day (and were at Anfield yesterday for the commemoration before the Chelsea game), he said they've never spoken about it - it's difficult for today's youngsters to understand just how harshly football fans were treated in the last century.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:27 - Apr 15 with 1755 viewsPJH

Yes RIP the 96 and thoughts with their families and friends and with the survivors including our very own BL.
Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:41 - Apr 15 with 1718 viewsxrayspecs

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:22 - Apr 15 by gainsboroughblue

I was watching Town at Bradford that day and it felt so surreal, especially given it had only been a few years since there was awful tragedy there.

The coach journey home was a very quiet one indeed.

RIP the 96.

I was at Bradford that day too. The first we knew about the event was when we got back to the car after the game. We had driven up the M1 so had seen loads of Forest and Liverpool coaches en route to Hillsborough.

RIP.
Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:05 - Apr 15 with 1674 viewsbluelagos

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:22 - Apr 15 by Ewan_Oozami

Eldest Oozami's Liverpool-born boyfriend's Grandad and Uncle were in the Leppings Lane stand that day (and were at Anfield yesterday for the commemoration before the Chelsea game), he said they've never spoken about it - it's difficult for today's youngsters to understand just how harshly football fans were treated in the last century.

http://ahillsboroughsurvivor.blogspot.com/2012/04/23-years-ago.html

Feel free to share with any younguns who (understandably) dont understand what football was like.

JFT96

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:11 - Apr 15 with 1652 viewsbluelagos

Tony Evans makes a valid point about many missing the point. The lessons of Hillsborough are far more than a series of mistakes leading to the deaths of innocent people.

They are about how the establishment colluded to shift the blame away from where it lay onto innocent people. Can't say much more due to the ongoing legal cases. But imho that collusion continues today.

Jft96

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:11 - Apr 15 with 1647 viewsBobbychase

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:41 - Apr 15 by xrayspecs

I was at Bradford that day too. The first we knew about the event was when we got back to the car after the game. We had driven up the M1 so had seen loads of Forest and Liverpool coaches en route to Hillsborough.

RIP.

We played Sheff Wed the following season. It was surreal to look down on the terrace below and think of all the people who had died there

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:22 - Apr 15 with 1602 viewschicoazul

JFT96

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:24 - Apr 15 with 1601 viewsbluelagos

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 12:19 - Apr 15 by ITFC_Forever

RIP to all those that died and my thoughts are with their families, and all the survivors (hope you're ok BL if you're reading this).

I was 14 years old, the same age as one of the boys who lost his life.

We had Bradford away that day and away games were another six months in the future for me, so I had been in to town. When I got back, I turned the stereo on to Radio Orwell / SGR / whatever it would have been then to find out the Town half-time score and they were talking about Hillsborough and the horror that was unfolding there.
My Mum's reaction was to instantly ban me from going to football ever again.... although she did then start to realise that may have been a slightly OTT reaction.

If you read books on the subject (The Truth - Phil Scraton, And The Sun Shines Now - Adrian Tempany) or have a browse of RAWK's Hillsborough section, the first-hand accounts from those who were there are harrowing stuff.
And then to add insult, the facts that became apparent after the event as to what went wrong before the event, during the event and the subsequent the cover-ups, corruption and lack of justice makes it all a thousand times worse.

JFT96.

In case you didnt know, the inspiration for the title of Ade's book, And the sunshines now.

BL

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 14:16 - Apr 15 with 1521 viewsITFC_Forever

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:24 - Apr 15 by bluelagos

In case you didnt know, the inspiration for the title of Ade's book, And the sunshines now.

BL

Ah, thanks for clarifying - the thought did cross my mind it was rather odd that the "The Sun" are the first two words of the title, give the newspaper's coverage of events.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 14:31 - Apr 15 with 1486 viewsNo9

They had a minutes silnce at Anfield yesterday
Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 17:55 - Apr 15 with 1385 viewswoodbridge_blue

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:24 - Apr 15 by bluelagos

BL

That final report from the great Peter Jones has to be the most moving, most poignant piece of sports reporting I have ever heard. Incredibly moving. I still can't attend Hillsborough without looking at that terrace below where we sit for Town away games, and wondering just how such a tragedy could have happened on a sunny day out at a football match in this country.
Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 18:20 - Apr 15 with 1362 viewsvapour_trail

Just a reminder that today is the 30th anniversary of Hillsborough on 13:11 - Apr 15 by bluelagos

Tony Evans makes a valid point about many missing the point. The lessons of Hillsborough are far more than a series of mistakes leading to the deaths of innocent people.

They are about how the establishment colluded to shift the blame away from where it lay onto innocent people. Can't say much more due to the ongoing legal cases. But imho that collusion continues today.

Jft96

Well quite.

The prosecutions against the police are one thing. The government of the day should be called to account as well.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024