Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where's the money going? 08:40 - Apr 20 with 2603 viewsChocorange

We were outclassed by a Preston team yesterday that has an average home attendance of 3000 less than us , so if this is a division all about money , then either we are wasting money hand over fist of they are making the very best use of there's.

For the record we are currently 14th on average attendance for this season and of the team's below us in that table , none are receiving parachute payments. So would it not be reasonable in that simplistic view to expect to be around 14th if all things were equal and income being used averagely.

So , if we have an experienced manager on a reasonable mid championship wage, where is the rest of the money going?

I cannot see many players in our squad who would be classed as high earners?
Or are we overpaying some average players?
Or do we have far too many poor players being paid average wages and are a drain when added altogether...
Or is it something else ??
Where's the money going? on 08:48 - Apr 20 with 2566 viewsthebooks

We were paying the 18th highest salaries in the league, according to the most recent figures. It's lower now, I suspect. Preston may be paying higher wages (i.e. their owners are investing more: the link between attendances and overall income isn't that direct).

I reckon Bart's on a relatively OK wage, Skuse and Judge too. We have a very large squad, which indicates lots of relatively low paid, mediocre players.

Add in losing all your goals in one hit, choosing the wrong manager and having no real strategy beyond saying salaries aren't everything, and it's not that surprising we are where we are.
Where's the money going? on 08:52 - Apr 20 with 2551 viewsMullet

Accrington mostly.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Where's the money going? on 09:22 - Apr 20 with 2477 viewsPJH

Where's the money going? on 08:52 - Apr 20 by Mullet

Accrington mostly.

Logged back in just to upvote that.

It made be chuckle but it is also right.
Where's the money going? on 09:45 - Apr 20 with 2419 viewsBluefish

Where's the money going? on 08:48 - Apr 20 by thebooks

We were paying the 18th highest salaries in the league, according to the most recent figures. It's lower now, I suspect. Preston may be paying higher wages (i.e. their owners are investing more: the link between attendances and overall income isn't that direct).

I reckon Bart's on a relatively OK wage, Skuse and Judge too. We have a very large squad, which indicates lots of relatively low paid, mediocre players.

Add in losing all your goals in one hit, choosing the wrong manager and having no real strategy beyond saying salaries aren't everything, and it's not that surprising we are where we are.

We won't be 18th since Lambert came in. He ridiculed Hurst for the number of signings in one window and then tried to match him. There will be some big salaries amongst Keane, Quaner, Collins etc

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Where's the money going? on 09:58 - Apr 20 with 2394 viewsElderGrizzly

Where's the money going? on 09:45 - Apr 20 by Bluefish

We won't be 18th since Lambert came in. He ridiculed Hurst for the number of signings in one window and then tried to match him. There will be some big salaries amongst Keane, Quaner, Collins etc

Commentator mentioned yesterday, Sheff Utd are 16th in terms of wage budget this season.
Where's the money going? on 10:00 - Apr 20 with 2375 viewsHerbivore

Where's the money going? on 09:58 - Apr 20 by ElderGrizzly

Commentator mentioned yesterday, Sheff Utd are 16th in terms of wage budget this season.

They really should be the kind of model we aspire to from here, hopefully with a few fewer seasons in League 1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where's the money going? on 10:05 - Apr 20 with 2359 viewsBluefish

Where's the money going? on 09:58 - Apr 20 by ElderGrizzly

The championship always has the same, there is always a cheaper club that defies the odds. We had a turn and so did brentford and huddersfield etc. Every club wants to do it but you can't just copy those clubs and replicate it, likewise it doesn't mean they can sustain it.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Where's the money going? on 10:07 - Apr 20 with 2342 viewsWestcountryblue

Where's the money going? on 10:00 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

They really should be the kind of model we aspire to from here, hopefully with a few fewer seasons in League 1.

There model is similar to MMC's model a few seasons ago....small squad, spend good wages on experienced pros at this level, take the odd punt here and there.

Our current approach to recruitment seems to have no strategy or focus whatsoever !
Login to get fewer ads

Where's the money going? on 10:25 - Apr 20 with 2279 viewsFtnfwest

It’s salaries that mark the difference more these days. Our wage budget had already gone down as of last summer when several higher paid players left. Nodge have built a team that was more expensive to buy but not that much more, however the average player there is earning nearly a times what one could earn for us. That boils down to £20-25m more per year, plus players who are on more like £15k than £5k per week and you then see a massive difference in quality.
Edit - I suppose one silver lining is that we now just an averagely paid manager
[Post edited 20 Apr 2019 10:26]
How about? It's not simply about money on 11:20 - Apr 20 with 2161 viewsPendejo

If it were Newcastle United would achieve more and Sunderland would not have dropped into the 3rd tier. Leeds... well they would be Champions of Europe wouldn't they?

Thankfully, there are aspects of football that are still about... football and not finance.

We have been relegated this season mainly because a massive mistake was made last summer; management recruitment, player management and no-doubt how our owner spent HIS money.

Hurst and Doig were seemingly a complete disaster; heard some frankly bizarre stories about them

Letting go proven players; McGoldrick, Garner, Waghorn and Webster then replacing them with unfinished products, not quite yet ready to hit the Championship all at the same time, though I'm sure they will all progress.

I think the buck stops with Evans... but he's the OWNER not an employee, I'm sure it hurts him more, if only in the pocket.

The team as a whole has underperformed, and I'm sure the experienced players would probably agree that individual mistakes August to October put us in a tailspin from which we couldn't recover even if Moody Mourinho, Feisty Fergie or Gallant Guardiola were in charge.

Forget the finance, it's NOT the be all and end all. We were sh1T this season, simple as that.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Where's the money going? on 13:50 - Apr 20 with 2002 viewsjontysnut

If only we had something like a director of football operations to get a grip of fees and wages.
Where's the money going? on 17:28 - Apr 20 with 1799 viewsChocorange

Where's the money going? on 10:05 - Apr 20 by Bluefish

The championship always has the same, there is always a cheaper club that defies the odds. We had a turn and so did brentford and huddersfield etc. Every club wants to do it but you can't just copy those clubs and replicate it, likewise it doesn't mean they can sustain it.

Yes there's always a cheaper club that defies the odds, sadly we are now a middling club, that defies the odds to under perform and be the worst.

Questions have to be asked and action taken to resolve starting this summer.

Players on big wages have to be the best players not just in our team but those who would get in to other good teams .They also Dint want to be injury prone or that money is lost.

We also do not need a lot of dross , some of the players have not shown anything to say they are up to it all season and others are past their best

Big decisions to be made... I hope there's a plan !
Where's the money going? on 18:07 - Apr 20 with 1699 views66notout

I would say we chose two wrong managers and the current incumbent is doing nothing to prove me wrong. Other than that, totally agree with your sentiments.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024