Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bolton Game off 22:51 - Apr 26 with 3996 viewsACP84

Postponed over unpaid wages - could we finish 23rd after the inevitable points deduction!?!
Bolton Game off on 22:53 - Apr 26 with 3584 viewsArnieM

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/april/efl-statement-bolton-wanderers-v-brentford/

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Bolton Game off on 22:57 - Apr 26 with 3548 viewsCoco

In reality the points SHOULD BE deducted next season when it will actually matter.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Bolton Game off on 23:01 - Apr 26 with 3519 viewsElderGrizzly

Bolton Game off on 22:57 - Apr 26 by Coco

In reality the points SHOULD BE deducted next season when it will actually matter.

I think they are the rules too now. If already relegated, it will apply next season.
Bolton Game off on 23:05 - Apr 26 with 3504 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Bolton Game off on 23:01 - Apr 26 by ElderGrizzly

I think they are the rules too now. If already relegated, it will apply next season.

Which frankly I’d prefer. For two reasons.

1) We deserve to finish bottom this season.
2) That is one lesser rival for next season if it’s a hefty point deduction.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Bolton Game off on 23:21 - Apr 26 with 3431 viewsElderGrizzly

Bolton Game off on 23:05 - Apr 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Similar thing regarding points deductions happened to Leeds when they thought they were being clever and announced their issues after relegation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/aug/09/newsstory.leedsunited
Bolton Game off on 23:23 - Apr 26 with 3419 viewsTheBoyBlue

I'm of the opinion that Marcus Evans has been a disaster for this club and yet still in comparison to some of these other owners...

Again the fans suffer. Brentford fans who have forked out for travel and accommodation and of course Bolton fans who even with this takeover (by yet another dubious character) who must be really worried about what their club faces.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Bolton Game off on 00:05 - Apr 27 with 3313 viewsfactual_blue

Bolton Game off on 23:01 - Apr 26 by ElderGrizzly

Does the fact there are two issues at play here make a difference.

On the one hand there is a penalty to be imposed for failing to fulfil fixtures. There is another for going into administration (which isn't certain, but looks extremely likely) . It might be the former is imposed this season (ie when the fixtures were not fulfilled) and the latter next.

I think the Leeds case has been mentioned: they staved off administration until they'd been relegated (by us) so as to avoid taking a points deduction which could have relegated them despite their efforts on the field.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Bolton Game off on 06:54 - Apr 27 with 3041 viewschristiand

How woeful is that? We are hoping to avoid finishing bottom due to another club’s financial situation rather than being capable enough on the pitch to get results for ourselves. We deserve to be where we are, we’ve just not been good enough this season.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

Bolton Game off on 06:57 - Apr 27 with 3030 viewsm14_blue

Bolton Game off on 06:54 - Apr 27 by christiand

How woeful is that? We are hoping to avoid finishing bottom due to another club’s financial situation rather than being capable enough on the pitch to get results for ourselves. We deserve to be where we are, we’ve just not been good enough this season.

I don’t think anyone really cares to be honest mate.
Bolton Game off on 07:46 - Apr 27 with 2919 viewsGuthrum

Bolton Game off on 23:05 - Apr 26 by The_Romford_Blue

I entirely agree with you.

However, it could be argued that they have, effectively, cheated by spending so far beyond their ability to pay. Is Bolton's points advantage over us down to players hired/retained, but which they could not genuinely afford?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bolton Game off on 07:46 - Apr 27 with 2921 viewsdavblue

Its highly embarrassing being below that shower of a club.

To do what wevedone shows how spectacularly bad we have been.
Bolton Game off on 08:05 - Apr 27 with 2847 viewstractorboy1978

Bolton Game off on 07:46 - Apr 27 by Guthrum

I entirely agree with you.

However, it could be argued that they have, effectively, cheated by spending so far beyond their ability to pay. Is Bolton's points advantage over us down to players hired/retained, but which they could not genuinely afford?

The majority of the clubs in this division can't "genuinely afford" the players they have if the owners cut funding, including us.
Bolton Game off on 08:17 - Apr 27 with 2800 viewsGuthrum

Bolton Game off on 08:05 - Apr 27 by tractorboy1978

The majority of the clubs in this division can't "genuinely afford" the players they have if the owners cut funding, including us.

The difference being that the other owners (including ours) did have the money to keep covering losses, or funded hirings by selling players.

Bolton did not actually have the cash, neither did they raise any through the transfer market. Thus retaining the best members of their squad beyond what they (or their owners) could really afford.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2019 8:18]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bolton Game off on 08:26 - Apr 27 with 2755 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bolton Game off on 08:05 - Apr 27 by tractorboy1978

The majority can. But you’re spot on that it isn’t sustainable - the vast majority do indeed run at a loss. When you look at the owner contributions over and above income it’s just ridiculous. It’s also very hard to consistently break even in the PL for smaller teams, despite what’s said about the money there. Easy to make profits for one or two years but over time the cost base shoots up as teams have to pay more to existing players or to attract new players.

Makes you wonder why anyone buys a club. Just a rich person’s play thing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bolton Game off on 08:27 - Apr 27 with 2752 viewsIP12

Bolton Game off on 08:17 - Apr 27 by Guthrum

The difference being that the other owners (including ours) did have the money to keep covering losses, or funded hirings by selling players.

Bolton did not actually have the cash, neither did they raise any through the transfer market. Thus retaining the best members of their squad beyond what they (or their owners) could really afford.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2019 8:18]

Listening to some ex Bolton players being interviewed last night there were a number of suggestions of 'asset stripping' (allegedly) by the existing management. Maybe this is a bit like the Blackpool situation where the previous owners had a 'percentage' of everything that happened at the club. In that case the size of the wage bill has no relevance.
Bolton Game off on 08:30 - Apr 27 with 2728 viewsButterbing

Bolton Game off on 08:26 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

The majority can. But you’re spot on that it isn’t sustainable - the vast majority do indeed run at a loss. When you look at the owner contributions over and above income it’s just ridiculous. It’s also very hard to consistently break even in the PL for smaller teams, despite what’s said about the money there. Easy to make profits for one or two years but over time the cost base shoots up as teams have to pay more to existing players or to attract new players.

Personally I feel that something has to change. I can’t understand why anybody would want to purchase a club like Bolton. Yet these clubs always seem to survive somehow. It can’t be too long before the bubble bursts and a few clubs actually do disappear. Thankfully, even with all of his faults, Evans is still capable of keeping us afloat at a loss.
Bolton Game off on 08:30 - Apr 27 with 2729 viewsPJH

But when the plaything has a direct financial bearing on peoples lives as Bolton are doing at the moment you have to wonder about the type of person that "owns" the plaything.
Bolton Game off on 08:31 - Apr 27 with 2726 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bolton Game off on 08:27 - Apr 27 by IP12

Listening to some ex Bolton players being interviewed last night there were a number of suggestions of 'asset stripping' (allegedly) by the existing management. Maybe this is a bit like the Blackpool situation where the previous owners had a 'percentage' of everything that happened at the club. In that case the size of the wage bill has no relevance.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are ‘irregularities’ as he’s certainly an irregular character, although obviously I’ve no idea - maybe Anderson is just a rubbish businessman/owner. And a bit of an odd bod to say the least. That’s one area where we are lucky with ME. At least he knows not to shoot his mouth off and has a bit of class.

Bolton Game off on 08:42 - Apr 27 with 2680 viewsMVBlue

Nah I don’t think that they struggle in the Premier League. Once they are up and running in the Premier League, they could effectively play in an empty stadium now due to global and UK TV revenue, and that has been documented. This includes well run clubs like Bournemouth and Crystal Palace. So yes it is the golden egg, it really is. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Bolton Game off on 08:53 - Apr 27 with 2657 viewstractorboy1978

It's more an issue of cash flow than profit/loss. The majority of clubs in this division are committed to contracts that they could not honour in any way, shape or form if the owners didn't transfer funds to cover the shortfall.
Bolton Game off on 09:13 - Apr 27 with 2570 viewsblueprint

It was reported yesterday on talksport ( I know) that if the new owner gets approved then he is promising 12 to 15 million for new signings.
Bolton Game off on 09:21 - Apr 27 with 2535 viewstractorboy1978

Bolton Game off on 09:13 - Apr 27 by blueprint

It was reported yesterday on talksport ( I know) that if the new owner gets approved then he is promising 12 to 15 million for new signings.

He's already been declared bankrupt twice but apparently passes the "fit and proper" test.
Bolton Game off on 09:23 - Apr 27 with 2529 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bolton Game off on 08:42 - Apr 27 by MVBlue

Nah I don’t think that they struggle in the Premier League. Once they are up and running in the Premier League, they could effectively play in an empty stadium now due to global and UK TV revenue, and that has been documented. This includes well run clubs like Bournemouth and Crystal Palace. So yes it is the golden egg, it really is. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

That’s just a snapshot of one year, and some of those clubs made losses the year before. It’s a lot better in the PL than the Championship for sure but still incredibly hard to break even.

This is exactly the sort of article that creates a false impression. Taking a longer view, virtually all clubs rely on additional owner financing. Swiss Ramble reports that only 54% of income in the PL over the last 10 years came through normal operations. The rest is by owner loans (debt) or raising shares.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/ac47ra/premier_l

As I say, people don’t realise how important owner financing is. Of the 3 clubs in that list trying to not incur debt, the 2 smallest ones (Boro & Swansea) couldn’t compete. Only Arsenal pulled it off.

Bolton Game off on 09:24 - Apr 27 with 2520 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bolton Game off on 08:53 - Apr 27 by tractorboy1978

It's more an issue of cash flow than profit/loss. The majority of clubs in this division are committed to contracts that they could not honour in any way, shape or form if the owners didn't transfer funds to cover the shortfall.

Absolutely

Bolton Game off on 09:27 - Apr 27 with 2504 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bolton Game off on 08:30 - Apr 27 by PJH

But when the plaything has a direct financial bearing on peoples lives as Bolton are doing at the moment you have to wonder about the type of person that "owns" the plaything.

Yep. I was just going to say ‘fit and proper’, but someone beat me to it. Marcus is clearly fit and proper, just a bit rubbish unfortunately! But rather him than an Oyston or Anderson any day of the week.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024