Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help 13:17 - May 1 with 1161 viewsLord_Lucan

I can't get any work done as my wifi connection has dropped low (it does this sometimes), what do you call those things that you plug into your mains and router and then plug the other end in mains and laptop - thus in effect hardwiring it?

I have a Netgear one which I'm using at home and it seems to work. What do I search for please and any recommendations?

Ta

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 13:35 - May 1 with 1133 viewsBasingstokeBlue

"Ethernet over power" or "powerline adapters"

You could also chuck in "WiFi booster"

This may be worth reading:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/wifi-extenders-vs-powerline-adapters-which-i

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 13:41 - May 1 with 1123 viewsghostofescobar

I bought one of these and it's bloody brilliant:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076ZM971B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s0

I did use it to extend rather than just boost, so not sure if that is what you are after. I wanted wifi extended to my garage. I went from virtually zero wifi reception to the signal being as good as anywhere in the house. Also with this device you don't need to change your network connection to connect to it. I'm no techy at all, but this is a great bit of kit. I think it's because it's a "mesh" extender, whatever that is!

GhostOfEscobar

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 14:16 - May 1 with 1070 viewsLord_Lucan

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 13:41 - May 1 by ghostofescobar

I bought one of these and it's bloody brilliant:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076ZM971B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s0

I did use it to extend rather than just boost, so not sure if that is what you are after. I wanted wifi extended to my garage. I went from virtually zero wifi reception to the signal being as good as anywhere in the house. Also with this device you don't need to change your network connection to connect to it. I'm no techy at all, but this is a great bit of kit. I think it's because it's a "mesh" extender, whatever that is!

Thanks both for your help

I've bought one of these Mothers as they can deliver it today.

Here's hoping.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6214467

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 15:57 - May 1 with 1037 viewsBasuco

I had constant wifi drops so invented a fault on my BT router (cable ports not working) so that they sent me out a new router (their latest) and that is much better with very few if any drops now.
A BT engineer previously told me to get a filter socket put in where the line enters the building. The one that has the phone line one side and router in the other, so the broadband signal does not go all over the house and is filtered at entry so you do not need any filters on every telephone socket, this greatly improved my broadband speed in general.
Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 15:59 - May 1 with 1032 viewsBasuco

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 14:16 - May 1 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks both for your help

I've bought one of these Mothers as they can deliver it today.

Here's hoping.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6214467

Don't they have to be on the same electrical ring to work? I might be wrong.
Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 17:10 - May 1 with 963 viewsEireannach_gorm

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 15:59 - May 1 by Basuco

Don't they have to be on the same electrical ring to work? I might be wrong.

Its also not wireless ( you have to connect directly via ethernet port ).
Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 17:21 - May 1 with 950 viewsLord_Lucan

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 15:57 - May 1 by Basuco

I had constant wifi drops so invented a fault on my BT router (cable ports not working) so that they sent me out a new router (their latest) and that is much better with very few if any drops now.
A BT engineer previously told me to get a filter socket put in where the line enters the building. The one that has the phone line one side and router in the other, so the broadband signal does not go all over the house and is filtered at entry so you do not need any filters on every telephone socket, this greatly improved my broadband speed in general.

I’m in the process of moving from BT so new lot are sending new superrouter. My new booster thing is being delivered from 19.00 so I can start work then!

I considered it might be a virus as even non internet stuff is slow so I thought I would do a full scan, that was an hour ago and I’m currently on 5%.

I’m going down the pub.

Forget all this Corbyn stuff, I need Wifi booster help on 11:31 - May 2 with 881 viewsLord_Lucan

Update in case anyone is interested or has the same problems.

I bought a Netgear powerline 1000 and it seems to work but it still isn't great.

For some reason I am still getting a ridiculous download speed of 1.59 and upload of 0.03 but with the Powerline I'm getting 29.94 and 7.34.

Still not brilliant though, I might have to get a new phone socket near to my desk and hardwire it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024