Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! 13:53 - May 2 with 3801 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Well worth a watch for the kids who don't remember it or have never heard of it.

Basically, Carlisle went into the final day of the 1999 season knowing they could go down even with a win. It was out of their hands. They had to beat Plymouth and hope Scarborough slipped up.

At half-time Carlisle were drawing 0-0 and going down but then the visitors took the lead and Brunton Park was apparently like a morgue. Carlisle eventually levelled but, with Scarborough drawing, they still needed to get a winner.

In injury time at Brunton Park the fans were told Scraborough had finished. They needed a winner against Argyle to stay in the league.

Carlisle won a corner and Jimmy Glass, a GOALKEEPER, who was on loan, scored with the LAST KICK of the game, in a time when keepers rarely ever went up and the scenes afterwards were absolutely insane. Proper pitch invasion.

For me it was up there with Michael Thomas winning the league for Arsenal at Anfield, Aguero winning the league for City, United scoring twice in injury time in the Champions League final and Deeney sending Watford through moments after Knockaert's penalty miss as the Top 5 incredible things I have seen in games not involving Town.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 13:57]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:07 - May 2 with 3769 viewsEastTownBlue

They had permission to sign Glass on an emergency loan from Swindon after the old March transfer deadline had passed. A month beforehand he conceded six at home to Ipswich.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 14:13]
Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:14 - May 2 with 3746 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:07 - May 2 by EastTownBlue

They had permission to sign Glass on an emergency loan from Swindon after the old March transfer deadline had passed. A month beforehand he conceded six at home to Ipswich.

Was at that game but never realised it was Jimmy Glass in goal. Town had both full ends behind the goal that day and I’m fairly confident our number wasn’t too far off the number of home fans

Other vivid memories from that day include a second half conga and David Johnson somehow failing to get on the scoresheet despite numerous chances, much to his frustration!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:16 - May 2 with 3738 viewsfactual_blue

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:07 - May 2 by EastTownBlue

Disgraceful pitch invasion.

I hope they were all banned.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:19 - May 2 with 3731 viewsTractorCam

An emergency loan goalkeeper who played 3 games will go down as one of their all time greats, superb!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 15:07 - May 2 with 3625 viewsOsborneOneNil

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:14 - May 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Was at that game but never realised it was Jimmy Glass in goal. Town had both full ends behind the goal that day and I’m fairly confident our number wasn’t too far off the number of home fans

Other vivid memories from that day include a second half conga and David Johnson somehow failing to get on the scoresheet despite numerous chances, much to his frustration!

Yeah I was there too, one of my favourite away days. I've a seat at home from that away end. My fat mate was jumping up and down on it after a goal and broke it! Another mate smuggled it out under his jacket.

We were young, in our defence.
Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 15:13 - May 2 with 3610 viewsSteve_M

What probably helped, from our point of view, is that we didn't play until the Sunday lunch time (us versus Sheffield United in a match more one-sided than last Saturday) so anyone watching Final Score would have seen the scorer come in.

Glass came up as the scorer and they were going on about Carlisle staying up but don't think they clicked that it was the keeper straight away.

Poor old Scarborough, just rubbing in it 20 years on. They went bust after that I think.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 15:58 - May 2 with 3540 viewsITFC_Forever

If Rommy is reading this, then Jimmy Glass is responsible for more absolute scenes than most.

Firstly letting in six against a rampant Town side that ran riot at the County Ground, and then his moment of glory for Carlisle a few weeks later.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 20:48 - May 2 with 3358 viewsSwailsey

Love this story.

Have you read his book? Really interesting.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Login to get fewer ads

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 21:10 - May 2 with 3328 viewscaught-in-limbo

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:16 - May 2 by factual_blue

A great story but this is my favourite last minute goalkeeper goal:

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 22:26 - May 2 with 3264 viewsCoastalblue

I can't believe it was 20 years ago!

Blimey that must make me well over 30.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:50 - May 3 with 3104 viewsGeoffSentence

That was one of my favourite non-Ipswich football moments.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 16:06 - May 3 with 3074 viewsSlambo

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 14:16 - May 2 by factual_blue

The best is the referee getting bundled

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 17:23 - May 3 with 3044 viewsTerra_Farma

That racist video breaks my heart.

Shocking.
Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 20:15 - May 3 with 2991 viewsRonFearonsHair

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 21:10 - May 2 by caught-in-limbo

This is mine

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 20:46 - May 3 with 2968 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 21:10 - May 2 by caught-in-limbo

Awesome, never seen that before.

I do remember the conga though!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 20:49 - May 3 with 2968 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 01:29 - May 4 with 2887 viewsKilburnBlue

Just a month before that game he had six slammed passed him in a home game when he was with Swindon. Selfishly I remember him more for that

Sky are doing a special for the 20th anniversary of that Jimmy Glass goal! on 10:06 - May 4 with 2783 viewsRadlett_blue

It also helps disprove my theory that keepers are usually absolute rubbish when they come up in a desperate attempt to score a late goal.
My favourite example of that was Stuart Pearce (who else) sending David James upfield to play centre forward for the last 7 minutes of a game which they had to win.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024