Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Bradford Fire 13:20 - May 11 with 3797 viewsIllinoisblue

Saw a tweet from Bradford City listing the names and ages of the victims.

The elderly couple, Fred (76) and Edith (79).

The dad and his two kids, Trevor (38), Jayne (16), and Craig (14)

The grandfather, father and son, Edmund (63), John (34), Andrew (11)

And on it goes, dads and their lads, lifelong fans... just heartbreaking beyond belief. A reminder that the mid to late 80s were a terrible time for football

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Bradford Fire on 13:25 - May 11 with 3762 viewsLord_Lucan

It was a real tragedy.

The footage of that fire is something I will never forget, terrible stuff.

That old couple didn't even leave their seats did they?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Bradford Fire on 13:27 - May 11 with 3749 viewsfactual_blue

It's also worth remembering that football stadium tragedies are almost as old as the game itself, and there have been far greater losses of life than at Hillsborough, Heysel or Bradford.

https://www.football-bible.com/soccer-info/top-10-football-stadium-disasters.htm

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Bradford Fire on 13:29 - May 11 with 3727 viewsIllinoisblue

The Bradford Fire on 13:25 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

It was a real tragedy.

just awful. remember watching it on TV and my mum telling me I couldn't go to football anymore which is when I knew it was really serious. It's still shocking just how quickly the fire spreads.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Bradford Fire on 13:33 - May 11 with 3713 viewsLord_Lucan

The Bradford Fire on 13:29 - May 11 by Illinoisblue

just awful. remember watching it on TV and my mum telling me I couldn't go to football anymore which is when I knew it was really serious. It's still shocking just how quickly the fire spreads.

It was incredible, I believe the video is used a lot in training videos.

The crazy thing is that when the stand was at its worse and the heat was so bad that the commentators were saying they were getting too hot in the stand opposite there were still loads of celebrating Bradford fans dancing on the pitch.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

The Bradford Fire on 13:48 - May 11 with 3643 viewsfactual_blue

The Bradford Fire on 13:33 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

The crazy thing is that when the stand was at its worse and the heat was so bad that the commentators were saying they were getting too hot in the stand opposite there were still loads of celebrating Bradford fans dancing on the pitch.

There's a dreadful moment IIRC where a bloke is trying to climb the wall - I think he was alight - and just falls back into the flames.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Bradford Fire on 14:01 - May 11 with 3621 viewsSuperblue95

The Bradford Fire on 13:25 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

It was a real tragedy.

Not sure if it was a couple but there was definitely one old man who died sat upright in his seat. Some of the stories from that fire are truly horrific
[Post edited 11 May 2019 14:01]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

The Bradford Fire on 14:32 - May 11 with 3577 viewsRyorry

So horrible I hate to remember back. Was driving through Leeds listening to the radio - the commentator's agonized voice in describing the scene was terrible, spine-chilling.

One glimpse back just now at a photo of the huge spread & height of the flames and smoke, with the whole stand being completely engulfed was also a horrifying reminder.

R.I.P.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Bradford Fire on 15:36 - May 11 with 3479 viewsSailorBlue

The Bradford Fire on 13:33 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

I did a 3 day fire fighting course for working at sea and they did indeed use the video as part of the training. Was horrific to watch and the worse thing that we did for the whole 3 days. The firefighters leading the course didn’t help with the running commentary: one bloke was walking, stumbling across the pitch his head steaming from the heat “he’s a dead man walking - he ends up being one of the dead”.

To think that if the exit doors weren’t padlocked so many would’ve got out and survived, but they were trapped.
Login to get fewer ads

The Bradford Fire on 15:50 - May 11 with 3431 viewsFreddies_Ears

The Bradford Fire on 15:36 - May 11 by SailorBlue

I did a 3 day fire fighting course for working at sea and they did indeed use the video as part of the training. Was horrific to watch and the worse thing that we did for the whole 3 days. The firefighters leading the course didn’t help with the running commentary: one bloke was walking, stumbling across the pitch his head steaming from the heat “he’s a dead man walking - he ends up being one of the dead”.

To think that if the exit doors weren’t padlocked so many would’ve got out and survived, but they were trapped.

The only good luck was that there were no fences. Many / most grounds were at least part-fenced in those days.
The Bradford Fire on 16:28 - May 11 with 3341 viewsLeaky

The Bradford Fire on 15:50 - May 11 by Freddies_Ears

The only good luck was that there were no fences. Many / most grounds were at least part-fenced in those days.

Probably been over shadowed by Hillsborough
The Bradford Fire on 18:23 - May 11 with 3222 viewsChurchman

Many years ago something I was doing at work meant that I had to see all the footage of the Bradford fire and look at all aspects of it. It was an appalling disaster. The time clock against some of the footage shows less than 4 mins from the flames first being visible to complete inferno.
The majority of people that lost their lives did so because human beings are creatures of habit and they tried to get out the way they came in - and the doors were locked. The pitch was the obvious escape route, but the mind doesn’t always work logically when the worst happens. With fires time is everything.
Poor people (who just went to a football match ffs) and their families. Thank goodness stadiums are so much safer these days.
The Bradford Fire on 19:04 - May 11 with 3125 viewsLord_Lucan

The Bradford Fire on 18:23 - May 11 by Churchman

Many years ago something I was doing at work meant that I had to see all the footage of the Bradford fire and look at all aspects of it. It was an appalling disaster. The time clock against some of the footage shows less than 4 mins from the flames first being visible to complete inferno.
The majority of people that lost their lives did so because human beings are creatures of habit and they tried to get out the way they came in - and the doors were locked. The pitch was the obvious escape route, but the mind doesn’t always work logically when the worst happens. With fires time is everything.
Poor people (who just went to a football match ffs) and their families. Thank goodness stadiums are so much safer these days.

Leeds set fire to a burger van next time they played them. Classy.

The Bradford Fire on 19:21 - May 11 with 3084 viewsChurchman

The Bradford Fire on 19:04 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

Leeds set fire to a burger van next time they played them. Classy.

Typical Leeds then
The Bradford Fire on 20:32 - May 11 with 2988 viewsBloomBlue

The Bradford Fire on 19:21 - May 11 by Churchman

Typical Leeds then

Terry Yorath (who was the coach at Bradford) was injured when jumping out of a window to escape the fire after helping to evacuate supporters from a bar.
The Bradford Fire on 21:07 - May 11 with 2913 viewsBerkshire_Blue

The Bradford Fire on 13:27 - May 11 by factual_blue

It's also worth remembering that football stadium tragedies are almost as old as the game itself, and there have been far greater losses of life than at Hillsborough, Heysel or Bradford.

https://www.football-bible.com/soccer-info/top-10-football-stadium-disasters.htm

I didn't realise it was a competition!
The Bradford Fire on 09:30 - May 12 with 2709 viewsDarth_Koont

The Bradford Fire on 16:28 - May 11 by Leaky

Probably been over shadowed by Hillsborough

Yes. I think the difference is that Hillsborough was underlying negligence also but that was an ongoing situation that was made worse by human error/lack of care. And then lied about and denied for decades.

Both truly horrific and chilling to see unfold. RIP the victims but I can't imagine how you get over that as a survivor either.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Bradford Fire on 10:13 - May 12 with 2672 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The Bradford Fire on 13:27 - May 11 by factual_blue

Absolutely. Worth remembering that any of these tragedies could happen again at any given moment. The second we as fans or the authorities take our eye off the risk then we could see a repeat.

This is why I really dislike footballs current way of using stewards rather than police for crowd control, most of them are just £9 an hour ushers who wouldn't have the first idea what to do in a genuine emergency.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The Bradford Fire on 10:51 - May 12 with 2642 viewsEireannach_gorm

The Bradford Fire on 18:23 - May 11 by Churchman

The Estates Manager where I work regularly shows that video and points out the time clock. In such a short time frame any hesitation or a bad choice can be fatal.

An horrendous outcome from a dropped cigarette.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024