Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO 14:20 - May 22 with 2506 viewsNo9

While they are happy to make a lot of noise about the WTO do any of them really understand it & how it works?
Maybe this one doesn''t know much at all-

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/andrea-jenkyns-brexit-tory-mp-wto-rules-countries-bb
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 14:29 - May 22 with 1995 viewsSwansea_Blue

No, especially Art 24 of GATT.

Their claims have been dismissed so many times by trade experts, including the bloke that helped write it, that obviously they're (a) not prepared to listen and a bit thick, or (b) deliberately lying to their supporters. I suspect it's a mixture of the two - maybe the likes of Moggy are the liars and the likes of Andrea Jenkyns are just thick.

Welcome to post-truth Britain, where what you've been convinced to believe is more important than what's correct.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 14:35 - May 22 with 1980 viewsOldsmoker

Most countries who trade on WTO rules have also established Trade agreements with their main import/export countries. They replace the WTO rules with their own agreements.
So, WTO is the start position for trading and is not a coverall.
The fact that nations seek their own trade agreements shows that WTO rules are not desirable.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 14:47 - May 22 with 1953 viewsPinewoodblue

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 14:35 - May 22 by Oldsmoker

Most countries who trade on WTO rules have also established Trade agreements with their main import/export countries. They replace the WTO rules with their own agreements.
So, WTO is the start position for trading and is not a coverall.
The fact that nations seek their own trade agreements shows that WTO rules are not desirable.

May's deal provides time to negotiate a future deal with the EU, time that will wasted as there is incentive for the EU to reach agreement.. WTO terms place both the UK and the EU 27 in a less advantaged position in the short term but notice the prospect of a quicker, smoother nevogiation.

You need to look at the mid - long term picture.

As an aside if we had left the EU in March on a no deal the government could bald out British Steel as EU law wouldn't apply.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:02 - May 22 with 1917 viewsNo9

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 14:47 - May 22 by Pinewoodblue

May's deal provides time to negotiate a future deal with the EU, time that will wasted as there is incentive for the EU to reach agreement.. WTO terms place both the UK and the EU 27 in a less advantaged position in the short term but notice the prospect of a quicker, smoother nevogiation.

As an aside if we had left the EU in March on a no deal the government could bald out British Steel as EU law wouldn't apply.

The British steel matter has nothing to do with the EU.
EU legislation allows for state aide and is practiced frequently in other EU countries.
More to do with the Holding Co
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:03 - May 22 with 1912 viewsOldsmoker

"you need to look at the mid-long term future".
Like I said, WTO is a starting position.

"... the government could bail out British Steel...."
This is a Tory government. They don't do bail-outs. If the markets say that there is no demand for British steel then the markets rule and they go under.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:06 - May 22 with 1910 viewsOldsmoker

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:03 - May 22 by Oldsmoker

This is a Tory government. They don't do bail-outs. If the markets say that there is no demand for British steel then the markets rule and they go under.

Did I just say the government don't do bail-outs.
Sorry, I was wrong.
They do, but only if its a bank.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:06 - May 22 with 1911 viewsNo9

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 14:29 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

No, especially Art 24 of GATT.

Their claims have been dismissed so many times by trade experts, including the bloke that helped write it, that obviously they're (a) not prepared to listen and a bit thick, or (b) deliberately lying to their supporters. I suspect it's a mixture of the two - maybe the likes of Moggy are the liars and the likes of Andrea Jenkyns are just thick.

Welcome to post-truth Britain, where what you've been convinced to believe is more important than what's correct.

Most people don't understand the WTO is a Member Club, Members make the rules.
The UK, having surrendered its membership now operates within the WTO as a part of the EU membership & can't be an independent member until it lelaves the EU when all the benefits of what the EU gets.
The UK will have to start again = could be some time
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:08 - May 22 with 1905 viewsHARRY10

It is quite frightening how many are still blinded by this la la land of fantasy.

It reminds me of a cousin who believes we can talk to the dead, as no matter what arguments are put up and no matter how absurd her arguments are shown to be she still clings to this idea.

And that is the real proble, where there is almost 'mass hysteria' with folk having seemingly fixated on something that is the cause of all their woes not wanting to let go of that particular 'comfort blanket.

Theirs is not a belief born of reasoned argument or rational thought, just blinkered delusion they are scared of letting go.
Login to get fewer ads

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:11 - May 22 with 1893 viewseireblue

How can you look at the mid-long term future, if it is simply unknown?
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:14 - May 22 with 1876 viewsflimflam

Ironically JC has said they would nationlise British Steel but must be unaware the EU laws prohibit it albeit on a temporary basis.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:16 - May 22 with 1873 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:11 - May 22 by eireblue

Rubbish. I'm having a rainbow unicorn with extra sparkles!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:17 - May 22 with 1879 viewsfactual_blue

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:08 - May 22 by HARRY10

It is quite frightening how many are still blinded by this la la land of fantasy.

It reminds me of a cousin who believes we can talk to the dead, as no matter what arguments are put up and no matter how absurd her arguments are shown to be she still clings to this idea.

And that is the real proble, where there is almost 'mass hysteria' with folk having seemingly fixated on something that is the cause of all their woes not wanting to let go of that particular 'comfort blanket.

Theirs is not a belief born of reasoned argument or rational thought, just blinkered delusion they are scared of letting go.

I heard it described perfectly the other day; leavers were promised and voted for a unicorn. They're getting a donkey with an ice cream cone tied to its head.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:27 - May 22 with 1846 viewsfactual_blue

To paraphrase Rowan Atkinson, I wouldn't trust a brexiteer to sit the right way round on a toilet.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:28 - May 22 with 1839 viewsfactual_blue

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:11 - May 22 by eireblue

And as J M Keynes pointed out, in the long term we are all dead.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:41 - May 22 with 1807 viewsNo9

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:14 - May 22 by flimflam

Ironically JC has said they would nationlise British Steel but must be unaware the EU laws prohibit it albeit on a temporary basis.

Not true
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:01 - May 22 with 1776 viewstractordownsouth

It’s funny, whenever I ask the Brexiters who elected the WTO they mysteriously seem to lose internet connection or something...
[Post edited 22 May 2019 16:03]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:04 - May 22 with 1771 viewstractordownsouth

And also whenever you ask them which of the leading Brexiteers advocated a no deal before the referendum they seem to go quiet.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:26 - May 22 with 1737 viewsbluejacko

Did you listen to the reason the Govt can’t give them more money?its against international law.

They also received £110m from the Govt not so long ago.
Hopefully a buyer can be found to secure all those jobs.
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:35 - May 22 with 1722 viewsjontysnut

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:01 - May 22 by tractordownsouth

It’s funny, whenever I ask the Brexiters who elected the WTO they mysteriously seem to lose internet connection or something...
[Post edited 22 May 2019 16:03]

I don't really know what WTO rules actually are, but I get annoyed at people who claim that this is the answer to everything when they plainly don't know either
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:50 - May 22 with 1699 viewsbluejacko

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:35 - May 22 by jontysnut

I don't really know what WTO rules actually are, but I get annoyed at people who claim that this is the answer to everything when they plainly don't know either

That’s the rub though you can get an ‘expert’ either way.
Doom and gloom or rays of sunshine.
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 17:17 - May 22 with 1672 viewsflimflam

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 15:41 - May 22 by No9

Not true

Correct me if I am wrong but that is how I understood it.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 17:25 - May 22 with 1664 viewsOldsmoker

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 16:26 - May 22 by bluejacko

Did you listen to the reason the Govt can’t give them more money?its against international law.

They also received £110m from the Govt not so long ago.
Hopefully a buyer can be found to secure all those jobs.

"can't give" "won't give"
Same thing.
If the Tories WERE allowed to bail them out they wouldn't.

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 17:51 - May 22 with 1647 viewsbluejacko

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 17:25 - May 22 by Oldsmoker

"can't give" "won't give"
Same thing.
If the Tories WERE allowed to bail them out they wouldn't.

You really don’t know that do? Talk about making it up!
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 18:10 - May 22 with 1628 viewsNo9

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 17:17 - May 22 by flimflam

It isn't true.
Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 18:13 - May 22 with 1625 viewsNo9

Do brexiteeer MP's understand the WTO on 17:17 - May 22 by flimflam

I forgot the UK government already gave BS £120 Mn a short while back.
& when the EU pu together a deal to get EU steel producers to put in place measures to stop the Chinese dumping steel in the EU - the UK opted out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024