Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only English based team in Scottish football league 08:19 - May 12 with 3960 viewsPJH

likely to lose their place as Berwick lost their first leg of their playoff 4-0 to Cove yesterday.

That is an interesting fact for a Sunday morning.
Only English based team in Scottish football league on 08:37 - May 12 with 3916 viewsWeWereZombies

That's a shame, but the re-organisation of the Scottish and English leagues had already done for the quiz conundrum 'Which team has spent its entire league history in the Second Division?'

Just had a look at Cove's wikipedia page and it must be the first time in a long time that I have seen a club side whose squad is made up entirely from one nation (saltire of St. Andrew next to every name). Interestingly, when I then looked up Berwick's squad they were entirely Scots too apart from a Tunisian on loan from Alloa.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 8:46]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 08:43 - May 12 with 3894 viewsPJH

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 08:37 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

That's a shame, but the re-organisation of the Scottish and English leagues had already done for the quiz conundrum 'Which team has spent its entire league history in the Second Division?'

Just had a look at Cove's wikipedia page and it must be the first time in a long time that I have seen a club side whose squad is made up entirely from one nation (saltire of St. Andrew next to every name). Interestingly, when I then looked up Berwick's squad they were entirely Scots too apart from a Tunisian on loan from Alloa.

I did not know that Cove were Aberdeen based until I googled.

Another interesting fact.
Only English based team in Scottish football league on 08:46 - May 12 with 3884 viewsWeWereZombies

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 08:43 - May 12 by PJH

I did not know that Cove were Aberdeen based until I googled.

Another interesting fact.

And they play at Balmoral...well, they have called their ground 'Balmoral'. On a quick wander I found that Stirling Albion also have an entirely Scots squad. I wonder how far down the leagues in England one has to go before you find a cross of St. George against every name?

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 09:14 - May 12 with 3837 viewsBluebell

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 08:46 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

And they play at Balmoral...well, they have called their ground 'Balmoral'. On a quick wander I found that Stirling Albion also have an entirely Scots squad. I wonder how far down the leagues in England one has to go before you find a cross of St. George against every name?

Talking of that we were decussing the 4 English teams in the finals in Europe this year.

How many players from Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal have the cross of St George against their names? Not many at a guess!
Only English based team in Scottish football league on 11:32 - May 12 with 3747 viewsPendejo

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 09:14 - May 12 by Bluebell

Talking of that we were decussing the 4 English teams in the finals in Europe this year.

How many players from Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal have the cross of St George against their names? Not many at a guess!

Quality not quantity

Whilst I fully understand, agree and bemoan the point... what is there is quality, isn't it?

Liverpool - Trent Alexander-Arnold and Henderson are current internationals. Milner & Sturridge have been, and the likes of Brewster have potential for the future.

Spurs - Kane, Alli, Trippier, Rose and Dier

Arsenal - well err Maitland-Niles anyone? Welbeck? Actually the young lad Smith-Rowe looked good

Chelsea - Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Ross Barkley

OK so some may argue the toss about some of the players but there are some current and future stars here...
Let's face it when Liverpool ruled Europe there were less Englishmen in their squads then than they have now.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 13:16 - May 12 with 3680 viewsgainsboroughblue

Unless 4-0 is this week's 3-0 dangerous lead.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 13:17]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 13:23 - May 12 with 3662 viewsHerbivore

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 11:32 - May 12 by Pendejo

Quality not quantity

Whilst I fully understand, agree and bemoan the point... what is there is quality, isn't it?

Liverpool - Trent Alexander-Arnold and Henderson are current internationals. Milner & Sturridge have been, and the likes of Brewster have potential for the future.

Spurs - Kane, Alli, Trippier, Rose and Dier

Arsenal - well err Maitland-Niles anyone? Welbeck? Actually the young lad Smith-Rowe looked good

Chelsea - Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Ross Barkley

OK so some may argue the toss about some of the players but there are some current and future stars here...
Let's face it when Liverpool ruled Europe there were less Englishmen in their squads then than they have now.

Joe Gomez and Harry Winks as well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 13:24 - May 12 with 3660 viewsjontysnut

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 08:37 - May 12 by WeWereZombies

That's why Berwick see themselves as a Scottish side based in England rather than an English side playing in Scotland. I've seen both Speedway and football there. Good town, I don't know if they're still at war with France?
Login to get fewer ads

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 13:54 - May 12 with 3619 viewsjudespiveyg

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 13:23 - May 12 by Herbivore

Joe Gomez and Harry Winks as well.

Oxlade-Chamberlain usually played when fit as well.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 20:46 - May 13 with 3433 viewsWeWereZombies

Three things I did not know I found out this afternoon from a programme on BBC Scotland about Celtic's European Cup win back in 1967:

1. Jock Stein was not a Catholic (and was consequently prevented from moving up from reserve team coach to manage the first team by the powers that be, only after successful spells managing Dunfermline and Hibs whilst Celtic failed to win anything for five years did they relent and re-appoint him).

2. All the players for Celtic in that 1967 European Cup Final came from within thirty miles of Celtic's stadium!

3. Steve Chalmers, who scored the winning goal, had twelve years earlier been diagnosed with tubercular meningitis. It was so bad that he was given weeks to live but was successfully treated by a Rangers supporting doctor.

Supplementary surprising fact that I have just found on Wikipedia - the only English team Chalmers played for was Newmarket Town - although this was whilst he did his national service at RAF Stradishall.

If you want to see an hour of football memories it is on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08rg0bd/glasgow-1967-the-lisbon-lions

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 21:58 - May 13 with 3354 viewsPJH

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 20:46 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

Three things I did not know I found out this afternoon from a programme on BBC Scotland about Celtic's European Cup win back in 1967:

1. Jock Stein was not a Catholic (and was consequently prevented from moving up from reserve team coach to manage the first team by the powers that be, only after successful spells managing Dunfermline and Hibs whilst Celtic failed to win anything for five years did they relent and re-appoint him).

2. All the players for Celtic in that 1967 European Cup Final came from within thirty miles of Celtic's stadium!

3. Steve Chalmers, who scored the winning goal, had twelve years earlier been diagnosed with tubercular meningitis. It was so bad that he was given weeks to live but was successfully treated by a Rangers supporting doctor.

Supplementary surprising fact that I have just found on Wikipedia - the only English team Chalmers played for was Newmarket Town - although this was whilst he did his national service at RAF Stradishall.

If you want to see an hour of football memories it is on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08rg0bd/glasgow-1967-the-lisbon-lions

Thanks for that, I have just downloaded it.

I knew that all the team were Glasgow born.

Another thing about Jock Stein was that he lasted the same number of days as manager of Leeds as Cloughie did, 44 days.

He of course tragically died at Ninian Park at the end of Wales v Scotland WC qualifier.
Only English based team in Scottish football league on 23:10 - May 13 with 3304 viewsBinner

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 13:24 - May 12 by jontysnut

That's why Berwick see themselves as a Scottish side based in England rather than an English side playing in Scotland. I've seen both Speedway and football there. Good town, I don't know if they're still at war with France?

It's Russia that they're not at war with. From the time of the Crimean War.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:14 - May 23 with 3059 viewsWeWereZombies

Don't know if it has been noted elsewhere but Berwick have gone:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48236317

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:20 - May 23 with 3038 viewsKieran_Knows

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 13:54 - May 12 by judespiveyg

Oxlade-Chamberlain usually played when fit as well.

Rob Holding was a regular for Arsenal until he got injured this season as well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:25 - May 23 with 3021 viewsPJH

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:14 - May 23 by WeWereZombies

I did think of resurrecting this thread after the second leg.

Not sure what Berwick will do now as regards playing because presumably their only way back into Scottish League football, if they want it, would be via the Lowland League.
Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:35 - May 23 with 3005 viewsWeWereZombies

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:25 - May 23 by PJH

I did think of resurrecting this thread after the second leg.

Not sure what Berwick will do now as regards playing because presumably their only way back into Scottish League football, if they want it, would be via the Lowland League.

I think that is the intention. A puzzling situation has arisen for the Highland League now that Cove go into the SPFL, an odd number of teams and no one wants to join the league because it means buying floodlights to conform to the rules. One solution would be to let Inverness's Colts team join but not all are happy with that so a compromise has been suggested of allowing the Caley Jags juniors to play a friendly with whichever team is without a fixture on any particular weekend.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 16:35]

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:40 - May 23 with 2986 viewsPJH

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:35 - May 23 by WeWereZombies

I think that is the intention. A puzzling situation has arisen for the Highland League now that Cove go into the SPFL, an odd number of teams and no one wants to join the league because it means buying floodlights to conform to the rules. One solution would be to let Inverness's Colts team join but not all are happy with that so a compromise has been suggested of allowing the Caley Jags juniors to play a friendly with whichever team is without a fixture on any particular weekend.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 16:35]

I did wonder who would replace Cove.

I wonder how long Fort William will survive, I think that they are the most southerly member of the Highland League and they get thumped most weeks.

I am on holiday based in Fort William early in June, not that that has got anything to do with their survival.

I recently acquired two books about Gretna FC and their brief time in senior football, only read one of them so far.
Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:54 - May 23 with 2967 viewsGeoffSentence

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:14 - May 23 by WeWereZombies

Not exactly a tight affair.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 17:01 - May 23 with 2948 viewsPJH

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:54 - May 23 by GeoffSentence

Not exactly a tight affair.

I think it was the 2nd goal in the 2nd leg that was the killer.
Only English based team in Scottish football league on 18:26 - May 23 with 2888 viewsWeWereZombies

Only English based team in Scottish football league on 16:40 - May 23 by PJH

I did wonder who would replace Cove.

I wonder how long Fort William will survive, I think that they are the most southerly member of the Highland League and they get thumped most weeks.

I am on holiday based in Fort William early in June, not that that has got anything to do with their survival.

I recently acquired two books about Gretna FC and their brief time in senior football, only read one of them so far.

I have always wondered how Fort William stayed in the league, what with being thumped every week and always bottom for years and years, now I know. However, the town is expanding a lot and that might filter through to the club eventually with more investment and also a larger pool of youngsters to supply youth teams feeding the first team.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024