Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? 20:40 - May 23 with 2049 viewschristiand

Interested in what many out there in TWTD world think as political topics are often popular threads. Thoughts?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:41 - May 23 with 1373 viewsSpruceMoose

I think Cameron deserves a special mention, being the melt who kicked this all off and then ran away and hid.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:44 - May 23 with 1359 viewsm14_blue

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:41 - May 23 by SpruceMoose

I think Cameron deserves a special mention, being the melt who kicked this all off and then ran away and hid.

Yeah, May is the Lambert to Cameron’s Hurst.
Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:45 - May 23 with 1358 viewsbluelagos

I think if you are considering the whole Brexit mess, David Cameron should be ahead of TM.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:48 - May 23 with 1342 viewspointofblue

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:45 - May 23 by bluelagos

I think if you are considering the whole Brexit mess, David Cameron should be ahead of TM.

The stupid thing is I think Cameron would have approached the negotiations with the EU better than May. He wouldn't have had much more success in getting anything through the Commons but I think his route with the mire would have been more logical than his successors.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:49 - May 23 with 1344 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have no love for TM and it certainly seems so at the moment but I believe history will judge that she picked up an impossible task of delivering Brexit with remainers vetoing any deal to leave and hard leavers vetoing anything that looks like a compromise.

She should have built bridges with the opposition from the start and had Labour any other of it's past leaders she probably would have.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:50 - May 23 with 1336 viewsSpruceMoose

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:49 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

I have no love for TM and it certainly seems so at the moment but I believe history will judge that she picked up an impossible task of delivering Brexit with remainers vetoing any deal to leave and hard leavers vetoing anything that looks like a compromise.

She should have built bridges with the opposition from the start and had Labour any other of it's past leaders she probably would have.

The wrong person at the wrong time. I think she is just ill equipped for the job at hand rather than willfully evil.

She was evil has Home Secretary though. She doesn't get a pass for that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:55 - May 23 with 1325 viewsGlasgowBlue

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:50 - May 23 by SpruceMoose

The wrong person at the wrong time. I think she is just ill equipped for the job at hand rather than willfully evil.

She was evil has Home Secretary though. She doesn't get a pass for that.

She is a contradictory character. Lagos will tell you that she was the first HS who understood the need to bring closure to Hillsborough. She was also responsible for the Modern Slavery Act and put an end to Stop and Search.

But her anti immigrant rhetoric and actions was reprehensible.

Iron Lion Zion

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:55 - May 23 with 1314 viewsSteve_M

She should do but virtually all the candidates to replace her could be worse.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:56 - May 23 with 1313 viewsSwansea_Blue

Imo, yes. She was handed an impossible task, but:
- she wanted the job
- she made a rod for her own back with her immovable 'red lines'
- she's headed off every hurdle by making unworkable promises that inevitably make matters worse
- she won't listen, adapt, engage. At all.
- worse, her denial of the impact of her policies, in the face of ample evidence and external criticism, is borderline criminal

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:59 - May 23 with 1288 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:48 - May 23 by pointofblue

The stupid thing is I think Cameron would have approached the negotiations with the EU better than May. He wouldn't have had much more success in getting anything through the Commons but I think his route with the mire would have been more logical than his successors.

We'll never know as he did a runner.

You can't negotiate when you run away.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:04 - May 23 with 1267 viewsbluelagos

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:55 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

She is a contradictory character. Lagos will tell you that she was the first HS who understood the need to bring closure to Hillsborough. She was also responsible for the Modern Slavery Act and put an end to Stop and Search.

Yeah, she ensured the families were given funding for their legal teams at the inquests. Let herself down over Orgreave, though that was Amber Rudd as home Secretary.

And many in the Labour Party, namely Jack Straw, Blair and Blunkett were to quote a scouse mate, Sh1t houses.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:10 - May 23 with 1237 viewsrgp1

More of concern is that our system of democracy is dead in the water, not because of leavers or remainers but because our politics is so fractured that I don't think we will ever see majority government ever again!

Yes May is weak but she is probably a victim of our current system.
Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:21 - May 23 with 1195 viewsGlasgowBlue

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:10 - May 23 by rgp1

More of concern is that our system of democracy is dead in the water, not because of leavers or remainers but because our politics is so fractured that I don't think we will ever see majority government ever again!

Yes May is weak but she is probably a victim of our current system.

Coalitions are an alien concept in this country (taking aside 2010-2015) but they are fairly normal on the continent where PR rarely delivers a majority for a single party.

Compromise is the way forward. Dogma should be consigned to the political dustbin.

Iron Lion Zion

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:26 - May 23 with 1171 viewsSwansea_Blue

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:21 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

Coalitions are an alien concept in this country (taking aside 2010-2015) but they are fairly normal on the continent where PR rarely delivers a majority for a single party.

Compromise is the way forward. Dogma should be consigned to the political dustbin.

Good luck with that! I don’t disagree, but we seem to be going in the opposite direction. This is why I had such high hopes for the TIGers, but if they’re struggling to reach consensus the others have virtually no chance.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:12 - May 23 with 1106 viewsrgp1

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:21 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

I agree about compromising, however Belgium was left with no government for nearly 2 years, so I guess there wasn't much compromise there.
Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:16 - May 23 with 1095 viewsgazzer1999

Well the Liar Blair, will take some beating.
Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:31 - May 23 with 1064 viewsfactual_blue

Teresa May isn't, and never has been, our PM.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:41 - May 23 with 1052 viewsphillymark

Neville Chamberlain
Lord Bute
Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:46 - May 23 with 1040 viewsSpruceMoose

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 20:55 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

Fair point.

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:48 - May 23 with 1040 viewsMullet

Thatcher is obviously the worst. No other PM has wreaked such intentional long term havoc on the social fabric of this country or done their utmost to destroy so much of what makes British values and society great.

May is incredibly inept like most insipid Tory PMs but she's probably bang average in some aspects, and weak and obstinate in all the others. She's not really done the damage, she's just picked through the rubble convinced she's clutching gold nuggets and being cheered on by the people sharpening knives in her own party.

It's interesting that in all this mess the two most sane voices in her wing of politics have been Clarke and Hesseltine. Neither of whom I have great love for, but lots of respect. Fairly telling that the generation that followed them are such slurry.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:49 - May 23 with 1040 viewsChurchman

I thinks it is a tight fight between TM and call-me-Dave. But CMD just gets the gold medal.

Even if you ignore unnecessary grinding austerity and laying into the social fabric of this country, which went way beyond what was necessary to correct Labour’s hosing of the economy up the wall, the referendum was a grotesque misjudgement. It left his successor with the problem from hell while he swanned off without a care in the world.

He had no idea what losing the referendum might mean. He did not consider it or allow it to be considered. His pre-referendum begging bowl visit to EU leaders was pathetic because not only did he have no idea how to deal with them, but he also had no idea what he was talking about. There are so many things he could and should have done differently and saying that is not the gift of hindsight. Mix arrogance and stupidity and it looks like call-me-Dave.

TM: she has tried to deal with a problem not of her making which is all that saves her from top spot. In my view she is clueless in every way. Poor judgement, devious (trying to kick the vote down the road on her wretched agreement to scare MPs into voting for it), inflexible, poor listener, micro manager, zero leadership skills, divisive, poor negotiator, poor communicator, put her rotten party before the country etc etc.

I didn’t think I’d see worse than Blair with what he did, but DC and TM have topped him. Sorry Tony, just a bronze medal for you.
Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 23:36 - May 23 with 981 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:49 - May 23 by Churchman

I thinks it is a tight fight between TM and call-me-Dave. But CMD just gets the gold medal.

Even if you ignore unnecessary grinding austerity and laying into the social fabric of this country, which went way beyond what was necessary to correct Labour’s hosing of the economy up the wall, the referendum was a grotesque misjudgement. It left his successor with the problem from hell while he swanned off without a care in the world.

He had no idea what losing the referendum might mean. He did not consider it or allow it to be considered. His pre-referendum begging bowl visit to EU leaders was pathetic because not only did he have no idea how to deal with them, but he also had no idea what he was talking about. There are so many things he could and should have done differently and saying that is not the gift of hindsight. Mix arrogance and stupidity and it looks like call-me-Dave.

TM: she has tried to deal with a problem not of her making which is all that saves her from top spot. In my view she is clueless in every way. Poor judgement, devious (trying to kick the vote down the road on her wretched agreement to scare MPs into voting for it), inflexible, poor listener, micro manager, zero leadership skills, divisive, poor negotiator, poor communicator, put her rotten party before the country etc etc.

I didn’t think I’d see worse than Blair with what he did, but DC and TM have topped him. Sorry Tony, just a bronze medal for you.

The funny thing is, those 3 mentioned almost show Gordon Brown in a good light!

...."bigoted woman" remark doesn't look so bad now.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 23:44 - May 23 with 968 viewsRyorry

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 21:26 - May 23 by Swansea_Blue

Good luck with that! I don’t disagree, but we seem to be going in the opposite direction. This is why I had such high hopes for the TIGers, but if they’re struggling to reach consensus the others have virtually no chance.

I joined TIG but they rapidly lost me - about as exciting & appealing as magnolia porridge ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 23:47 - May 23 with 963 viewsRyorry

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:49 - May 23 by Churchman

"He had no idea what losing the referendum might mean. He did not consider it or allow it to be considered"

Actually, he did, as Tusk repeatedly warned him about it & told him the Referendum was a terrible gamble which could have potentially catastrophic results - so in a way, he/it was even worse than you paint.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 23:48]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 00:14 - May 24 with 932 viewsfactual_blue

Will Teresa May go down as the worst PM in the country’s political history? on 22:41 - May 23 by phillymark

Neville Chamberlain
Lord Bute

Neville Chamberlain did pretty well. Played a tricky hand well at Munich.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024