Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK 01:52 - Jun 10 with 9057 viewsSpruceMoose

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/jeremy-hunt-abortion-limit-12-weeks-to

Better keep an eye on this stuff people. It's creeping and I'd like a country unlike the one I'm currently in to come back to.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 02:14 - Jun 10 with 3417 viewsJ2BLUE

He makes it very clear that it's a personal opinion and if any votes ever came up on the subject they would be free votes.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 2:21]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 02:22 - Jun 10 with 3402 viewsSpruceMoose

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 02:14 - Jun 10 by J2BLUE

He makes it very clear that it's a personal opinion and if any votes ever came up on the subject they would be free votes.

Hmmm.

Forgive me if I don't trust them to keep their personal feelings personal.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 3:17]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 04:25 - Jun 10 with 3372 viewsgordon

Did he explain why he wants more teenage girls and young women to have children against their will?
Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 06:37 - Jun 10 with 3336 viewsBlueNomad

“MP’s could vote with their conscience....”

It won’t be a very high turnout then
Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:30 - Jun 10 with 3253 viewsBlueBadger

I'm sure that it's also his personal opinion that contraception and education around it should be far more easily accessible, child support payments should go up, as should government subsidies for childcare and adoption/fostering service. Hell, he probably also believes that the minimum wage, particularly in the under-25's age group that would be particularly hard hit by the pressures of unplanned/unwanted children.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:32 - Jun 10 with 3256 viewsBlueBadger

And yet again, it's always interesting how these 'no state intervention in people's lives' types always get very keen on state intervention when people stop being straight white men with salaries above 50 grand a year.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 13:09]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:34 - Jun 10 with 3248 viewsBlueBoots

Tough one for me this...

I'm pro-choice, but with the advances in medical science meaning that premature babies can survive from 21 weeks, I'm uncomfortable with the current law (24 week limit, abortion possible after 24 weeks in exceptional circumstances), and think it should be changed to 20 weeks (retaining the exceptional circumstances rule after this time)

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:40 - Jun 10 with 3234 viewsDanTheMan

My understanding of this is that the majority of abortions at the later weeks are due to medical issues and not people deciding they no longer want a child.

To be fair to him, he was asked about this without bringing it up and said it wouldn't be a policy, which is good.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:43 - Jun 10 with 3223 viewsMugwump

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:34 - Jun 10 by BlueBoots

Tough one for me this...

I'm pro-choice, but with the advances in medical science meaning that premature babies can survive from 21 weeks, I'm uncomfortable with the current law (24 week limit, abortion possible after 24 weeks in exceptional circumstances), and think it should be changed to 20 weeks (retaining the exceptional circumstances rule after this time)

I agree

I am very much pro choice but how people can abort after nearly 6 months is quite frankly abhorrent.

I
Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:50 - Jun 10 with 3207 viewsGlasgowBlue

I dint think 12 weeks is unreasonable. If you are going to make a choice to end a life then it certainly shouldn’t be at a stage where he/or she is very much recognisable as a human baby.

I certainly wouldn’t call trying to preserve life as “toxic”.

Like Hunt, this is my personal view and I wouldn’t fierce that view on others.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 8:50]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:51 - Jun 10 with 3201 viewsblueconscience

How long you stuck over there for?

You are clearly not enjoying it.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:54 - Jun 10 with 3195 viewsDanTheMan

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:50 - Jun 10 by GlasgowBlue

I dint think 12 weeks is unreasonable. If you are going to make a choice to end a life then it certainly shouldn’t be at a stage where he/or she is very much recognisable as a human baby.

I certainly wouldn’t call trying to preserve life as “toxic”.

Like Hunt, this is my personal view and I wouldn’t fierce that view on others.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 8:50]

Again I might be wrong, but things like anencephaly cannot be detected until much later.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:56 - Jun 10 with 3191 viewsMugwump

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:54 - Jun 10 by DanTheMan

Again I might be wrong, but things like anencephaly cannot be detected until much later.

I am sure that their could and should be medical exceptions.
Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:14 - Jun 10 with 3153 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:54 - Jun 10 by DanTheMan

Essentially that. Over 90% of terminations are performed before 13 weeks, of those performed after 13 weeks they are, overwhelmingly, performed for non-viable foetuses which would either stand no chance of survival outside the womb or in circumstances in which continuing with pregnancy is actively endangering the health of the mother rather than 'elective' procedures.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 9:44]

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:19 - Jun 10 with 3131 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:14 - Jun 10 by BlueBadger

Essentially that. Over 90% of terminations are performed before 13 weeks, of those performed after 13 weeks they are, overwhelmingly, performed for non-viable foetuses which would either stand no chance of survival outside the womb or in circumstances in which continuing with pregnancy is actively endangering the health of the mother rather than 'elective' procedures.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 9:44]

My views are formed by personal experience and I’ve posted this before.

16 years ago when my wife was expecting our twin daughters a scan revealed that both babies had cysts on their brains and this is a sign of Edwards Syndrome, which would have see the babies born terribly deformed and unlikely to live past their first birthday. I'm welling up right now thinking about the emotions Mrs GB and myself went through during that period. Obviously one of the options given to us was for my wife to abort the pregnancy. That was very upsetting for me but imagine what the wife was going through.

Thankfully the hospital were able to do further tests that found they didn't have Edwards Syndrome and over the course of the pregnancy the cysts began to shrink to nothingness. We now have two fantastic twin daughters. One who wants to be a human rights lawyer, the other a primary school teacher. They are typical teenagers who love life and have a fantastic future to look forward to.

And that is why I would describe myself as pro life. To me, an abortion is depriving somebody of a wonderful glorious life. It's killing, plain and simple.

I understand that there should be exceptions for medical reasons such as the one I mentioned above and Dan mentioned in the previous post. I fully understand how traumatic it would be for a victim of rape to carry the rapists unborn child for 9 months but in all other circumstances I believe that baby has as much right to live a full and wonderful life as you or I.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 9:36]

Iron Lion Zion

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:19 - Jun 10 with 3130 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:43 - Jun 10 by Mugwump

I agree

I am very much pro choice but how people can abort after nearly 6 months is quite frankly abhorrent.

I

Because the alternatives of bringing to term a child that will live a short, painful and disressing life or its mother dying before they come to term are far, far worse.

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:22 - Jun 10 with 3123 viewsBlueBadger

Also: everyone in this thread, right now.

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK (n/t) on 09:23 - Jun 10 with 3118 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:19 - Jun 10 by GlasgowBlue

16 years ago when my wife was expecting our twin daughters a scan revealed that both babies had cysts on their brains and this is a sign of Edwards Syndrome, which would have see the babies born terribly deformed and unlikely to live past their first birthday. I'm welling up right now thinking about the emotions Mrs GB and myself went through during that period. Obviously one of the options given to us was for my wife to abort the pregnancy. That was very upsetting for me but imagine what the wife was going through.

Thankfully the hospital were able to do further tests that found they didn't have Edwards Syndrome and over the course of the pregnancy the cysts began to shrink to nothingness. We now have two fantastic twin daughters. One who wants to be a human rights lawyer, the other a primary school teacher. They are typical teenagers who love life and have a fantastic future to look forward to.

And that is why I would describe myself as pro life. To me, an abortion is depriving somebody of a wonderful glorious life. It's killing, plain and simple.

I understand that there should be exceptions for medical reasons such as the one I mentioned above and Dan mentioned in the previous post. I fully understand how traumatic it would be for a victim of rape to carry the rapists unborn child for 9 months but in all other circumstances I believe that baby has as much right to live a full and wonderful life as you or I.

Edited in view of edits.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 10:20]

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:24 - Jun 10 with 3116 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:19 - Jun 10 by GlasgowBlue

Badge clearly said most of that 10% are for medical reasons.

"of those performed after 13 weeks they tend, overwhelmingly, to be for non-viable foetuses which would either stand no chance of survival outside the womb or are actively endangering the health of the mother rather than 'elective' procedures."

Wouldn't your own circumstances highlight the value of allowing a bit more time to be sure of an early diagnosis?

To me the abortion debate seems to be more about politics than medicine.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:25 - Jun 10 with 3113 viewsMugwump

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:19 - Jun 10 by BlueBadger

Because the alternatives of bringing to term a child that will live a short, painful and disressing life or its mother dying before they come to term are far, far worse.

I accept that. You have completely ignored my second reply.
Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:27 - Jun 10 with 3105 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:25 - Jun 10 by Mugwump

I accept that. You have completely ignored my second reply.

The law is as it is, so as to allow for medically-led, as opposed to elective, terminations. If you start messing about with 'well, you can have one if THIS applies' you end up with all sorts of muddied waters which help neither clinicians or patients.

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:29 - Jun 10 with 3096 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:24 - Jun 10 by Swansea_Blue

Badge clearly said most of that 10% are for medical reasons.

"of those performed after 13 weeks they tend, overwhelmingly, to be for non-viable foetuses which would either stand no chance of survival outside the womb or are actively endangering the health of the mother rather than 'elective' procedures."

Wouldn't your own circumstances highlight the value of allowing a bit more time to be sure of an early diagnosis?

To me the abortion debate seems to be more about politics than medicine.

Not most, the overwhelming majority.

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:30 - Jun 10 with 3095 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 08:56 - Jun 10 by Mugwump

I am sure that their could and should be medical exceptions.

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK by BlueBadger 10 Jun 2019 9:27
The law is as it is, so as to allow for medically-led, as opposed to elective, terminations. If you start messing about with 'well, you can have one if THIS applies' you end up with all sorts of muddied waters which help neither clinicians or patients.

And also:

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK by BlueBadger 10 Jun 2019 9:14

[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 9:30]

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:35 - Jun 10 with 3062 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK (n/t) on 09:23 - Jun 10 by BlueBadger

Edited in view of edits.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 10:20]

Yes I misread the stat that you posted. Edited.

Iron Lion Zion

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:35 - Jun 10 with 3065 viewsMugwump

Yet more toxic US politics making its way to the UK on 09:27 - Jun 10 by BlueBadger

Not really, it is quite simple to extend a termination limit for medical reasons, who has said that it will have to be a fixed x term for this and y for that?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024