Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something needs to be done about these types of decisions 15:04 - Jun 21 with 6390 viewsStokieBlue

The law has to change, there is no way this guy should be bankrupt because someone stepped out in front of him looking at their phone:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-

Cyclists are going to need more protection from prosecution than that if we as a society want people to be greener and cycle where possible.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:07 - Jun 21 with 3691 viewsSpruceMoose

I bet he regrets not making his own claim now, poor bloke.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:09 - Jun 21 with 3678 viewsHolyGoalie

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:07 - Jun 21 by SpruceMoose

I bet he regrets not making his own claim now, poor bloke.

Poor bloke? Shouldn't have been pratting about on a bike all day like a pillock and got a real job using his hands if he has that kind of energy to start trying to murder people trying to walk about

Ipswich by the grace of gloves

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:10 - Jun 21 with 3678 viewsGeoffSentence

It says that the reason he had to pay out and she didn't was because he did not submit a claim.

"The judge, Shanti Mauger, said both were equally to blame for the incident on a busy junction near London Bridge, but only Brushett was entitled to a payout because she had put in a claim and Hazeldean had not."

So looks more like an admin error than making the cyclist pay more than his fair whack.

That being said, there have been calls for motorists to be held entirely culpable for accidents involving pedestrians whether they were responsible or not, as a way of making motorists take more care. That would certainly lead to these sort of injustices.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:14 - Jun 21 with 3654 viewsSpruceMoose

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:09 - Jun 21 by HolyGoalie

Poor bloke? Shouldn't have been pratting about on a bike all day like a pillock and got a real job using his hands if he has that kind of energy to start trying to murder people trying to walk about

You raise a valid point.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:15 - Jun 21 with 3656 viewsBiGDonnie

His solicitors have called for an important change in the law.

Perhaps if they weren't quite clearly a sh*t solicitor the poor bloke wouldn't be out of pocket.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:17 - Jun 21 with 3643 viewsfooters

I used to think people reading books while they were walking was bad, but now with all these smartphone thingies the problem is so much worse.

Seriously, what's so important you have to do that? Be present, be aware, take your eyes off the fcking screen. It can wait till later.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:18 - Jun 21 with 3635 viewsSpruceMoose

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:17 - Jun 21 by footers

I used to think people reading books while they were walking was bad, but now with all these smartphone thingies the problem is so much worse.

Seriously, what's so important you have to do that? Be present, be aware, take your eyes off the fcking screen. It can wait till later.

No it can't. Owning the libs is a 24/7 job, you utter paper jockey.

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:24 - Jun 21 with 3609 viewsThe_Last_Baron

It's time cyclists and their reckless conduct was brought to book.

Many of them are fine and use the road correctly but others are reckless, arrogant and break every rule of the road going. I'd have the bike of any cyclist found going through a red light taken away on the spot and crushed in the pound.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Login to get fewer ads

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:25 - Jun 21 with 3600 viewsSpruceMoose

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:24 - Jun 21 by The_Last_Baron

Many of them are fine and use the road correctly but others are reckless, arrogant and break every rule of the road going. I'd have the bike of any cyclist found going through a red light taken away on the spot and crushed in the pound.

For fairness sake I hope you're planning on crushing the car of any drivers breaking the rules of the road too?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:31 - Jun 21 with 3587 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

That's got it all.....the suing victim, works in finance and runs a yoga retreat....I hate her already. A saucy judge..."don't worry love you are still very attractive." And solicitors creaming off 96k while she gets 4....we're doomed hah!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:37 - Jun 21 with 3566 viewsStokieBlue

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:24 - Jun 21 by The_Last_Baron

What would you have done to the lady who decided to pull out from a parked position and knock me to the other side of the road into oncoming traffic just 6 weeks or so ago?

I assume her car is going to be crushed?

Or perhaps sweeping generalisations are childish and unhelpful?

SB

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:40 - Jun 21 with 3546 viewsSpruceMoose

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:37 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

What would you have done to the lady who decided to pull out from a parked position and knock me to the other side of the road into oncoming traffic just 6 weeks or so ago?

I assume her car is going to be crushed?

Or perhaps sweeping generalisations are childish and unhelpful?

SB

I think you should be allowed one free punch of her first born grandchild. Would you settle for that?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:40 - Jun 21 with 3549 viewsWD19

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:17 - Jun 21 by footers

Watched a woman drag 3 kids out into the road on a busy bend by my office doing just this on a mobile phone. Motorist screeched to a swerving halt that meant nothing more than a dropped bag in the end....but for a second it looked like I was watching the premature end of several young lives (and a dippy womans).
Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:42 - Jun 21 with 3538 viewsStokieBlue

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:40 - Jun 21 by SpruceMoose

I think you should be allowed one free punch of her first born grandchild. Would you settle for that?

To be honest, I'd prefer 100k if that's the way we are going.

Perhaps the compensation should increase with the increasing shades of the bruises.

SB
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 15:43]

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:48 - Jun 21 with 3511 viewsPendejo

Its a long time since I worked in Insurance, however, if he has a contents policy doesn't the Personal Liability section cover this?

If not then all cyclists should be required to be insured...

But sticking him with the costs as he hadn't put in a claim is simply not British [fair play & all that]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:52 - Jun 21 with 3496 viewsStokieBlue

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:48 - Jun 21 by Pendejo

Its a long time since I worked in Insurance, however, if he has a contents policy doesn't the Personal Liability section cover this?

But sticking him with the costs as he hadn't put in a claim is simply not British [fair play & all that]

Should pedestrians be insured as well?

She did step out into the road after all whilst on her phone. What if he swerved and was hit by a car and had to claim against her?

SB

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:56 - Jun 21 with 3470 viewsfooters

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:40 - Jun 21 by WD19

Watched a woman drag 3 kids out into the road on a busy bend by my office doing just this on a mobile phone. Motorist screeched to a swerving halt that meant nothing more than a dropped bag in the end....but for a second it looked like I was watching the premature end of several young lives (and a dippy womans).

Yeah but you didn't see the inspiration quote she was liking on instagram lol was well worth it

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:58 - Jun 21 with 3456 viewssparks

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:48 - Jun 21 by Pendejo

If you win your claim, you get your costs. Its normal. Id be amazed if the costs were ordered at 100k on a 10k claim though.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:09 - Jun 21 with 3405 viewsPendejo

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:52 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

Should pedestrians be insured as well?

She did step out into the road after all whilst on her phone. What if he swerved and was hit by a car and had to claim against her?

SB

Yep, Personal Liability policy... if she has one, would cover

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:21 - Jun 21 with 3373 viewsIllinoisblue

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:58 - Jun 21 by sparks

If you win your claim, you get your costs. Its normal. Id be amazed if the costs were ordered at 100k on a 10k claim though.

wondered that too. Felt like a made-up tabloidesque number.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:38 - Jun 21 with 3313 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:21 - Jun 21 by Illinoisblue

wondered that too. Felt like a made-up tabloidesque number.

I have experience in this matter from a friends claim where their car hit a cyclist that was on the left of them at traffic lights, moved off before the car and immediately turned right across their path with no indication.

No injury to my mate as he was in a car. Cyclist got £3k for his injuries. Went on for 3 years before it went to Court and costs ended up being £120,000. Was settled as a 50/50 but on that occasion both parties had to split the costs.

It meant my mate's insurers paid half and the cyclist had to pay half and nonetheless he went absolutely beserk because his solicitors had never spelled out the risk to him of it being settled 50/50 and that he may end up £57k out of pocket!

Weirdly, after arguing for 3 years, my mate became quite friendly with other person over the injustice of it all and equally had not had any proper advice on costs and the risks and both said if they'd had any idea they wouldn't have bothered.

Both were told they would win. Neither firm of solicitors cared because their bill would have to be paid by someone, so seems they dragged it out arguing for years, probably both laughing to each other about how much it was costing someone else.

In this case you have a cyclist and pedestrian, so neither would be insured. Given one was injured and one had a minor injury can anyone really believe they were given proper advice about the risks in such a tricky incident to attribute blame too and were both pig headed enough to have to be proven to be at fault for the sake of being right or getting a few grand against the risk of being bankrupt!

It should be impossible for costs to be so disproportionate. Regardless of how hard it is to attribute blame, surely the lawyers have an obligation. This is an incredible situation where financially it benefits the lawyers to not settle cases like this and argue for longer because their costs continually increase.

Not saying it has happened here, but that's what it looks like and my mate, who obviously felt quite outraged and guilty (that he'd argued with this bloke for years who made a mistake in his eyes but ended up absolutely shafted by over £50k).

So in these situations you can get two people both bankrupt to pay the lawyers that didn't give them the advice they needed and relied upon. Another thing that's completely benefitting the elite.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:49 - Jun 21 with 3269 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s crazy SB. Bloke with right of way, dozy woman wandering around with her head in her phone. The law is an ass at times.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:49 - Jun 21 with 3265 viewsgiant_stow

I'm not sure you go far enough. This seems to be an argument for compulsory bike insurance and probably licensing too, given the way he was apparently riding.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:53 - Jun 21 with 3258 viewsRyorry

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 15:40 - Jun 21 by WD19

Or narrow little winding lane with severe bends on steep hills; woman riding one horse, leading another, while her 3 dogs ran around off-lead & totally uncontrolled in middle of the road. Twice last year. On second occasion was lucky I just saw her through the trees in full leaf & stopped; just about managed to remain polite! & pointed out that one or more of the dogs in particular could get killed given the speed that some people drive at round here. Tbf she did acknowledge that & didn't see her doing it again - someone said recently that she moved away not long after!!

Some people just seem to be completely reckless & lack any forethought.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:55 - Jun 21 with 3250 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Something needs to be done about these types of decisions on 16:49 - Jun 21 by giant_stow

I'm not sure you go far enough. This seems to be an argument for compulsory bike insurance and probably licensing too, given the way he was apparently riding.

At what point (seriously) will we then have pedestrian insurance? Because in this instance the pedestrian was as to blame as the cyclist.

Not sure how it would work for minors. Presumably they'd have to be insured on a parents licence in some manner. Meaning you could be liable and lose your NCB for your child (potentially small) causing an injury or accident.

At the moment, it's quite nice that if your 5 year old accidentally bumped into someone's shin you (and hopefully your child) would say sorry, it would be deemed an accident and life goes on.

Imagine if the person you hit could actually claim compensation? In 10 years time you'd have pedestrians stepping in front of slow moving bikes, taking a bruise or two and claiming £500. If it wasn't for the fact cars can kill you, you'd have pedestrians doing that now.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024