Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. 18:54 - Jun 24 with 1933 viewschicoazul

...by an openly atheist PM?
Could an openly atheist PM carry out their duties and be *not* an inherently hostile figure to the many religious & agnostic people in the UK?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 18:59 - Jun 24 with 1284 viewssparks

To your second sentence the answer is- By definition- yes.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:00 - Jun 24 with 1281 viewsgordon

For me there would be too high a risk that God would be angry with us and he'd strike us down with pestilence and tornados and more Boris Johnsons.
Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:01 - Jun 24 with 1279 viewsSteve_M

It's not an important issue for hardly anyone is it? I'm not sure it was when the tabloids had a go at Kinnock for not pretending to believe in God.

How is not being religious hostile to people who are?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:01 - Jun 24 with 1277 viewsJ2BLUE

Not in the slightest bit bothered.

I wouldn't want a deeply religious PM whether they are Christian, Muslim or anything else.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:01 - Jun 24 with 1274 viewsfooters

Might start making them pay their fair share of tax.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:02 - Jun 24 with 1267 viewskinnockers

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:01 - Jun 24 by Steve_M

It's not an important issue for hardly anyone is it? I'm not sure it was when the tabloids had a go at Kinnock for not pretending to believe in God.

How is not being religious hostile to people who are?

Took a lot of flak at the time but I stand by my non-beliefs.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:03 - Jun 24 with 1262 viewswkj

Why would a Greek national be the UK priminister, or married by a royal.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:03 - Jun 24 with 1258 viewschicoazul

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 18:59 - Jun 24 by sparks

How so? If one was a Christian one may feel very uncomfortable about the Prime Minister being an atheist. Also MPs have to take the Oath of Allegiance still I believe (but not certain).

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:04 - Jun 24 with 1249 viewsSpruceMoose

I love it when we have our weekly 'Chico doesn't understand atheism 'thread!

I'll post the same thing as I always do:

Not collecting stamps isn't a hobby.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:04 - Jun 24 with 1241 viewsSwansea_Blue

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 18:59 - Jun 24 by sparks

Thereth endeth the threadeth

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:06 - Jun 24 with 1223 viewsfooters

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:03 - Jun 24 by chicoazul

How so? If one was a Christian one may feel very uncomfortable about the Prime Minister being an atheist. Also MPs have to take the Oath of Allegiance still I believe (but not certain).

You have to say an oath at Cubs but they still let me in. Says a lot about the vetting processes of the second-lowest level of our military, if you think about it.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:08 - Jun 24 with 1213 viewsRegencyBlue

As long as they are competent their personal beliefs are their own affair.
Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:08 - Jun 24 with 1213 viewschicoazul

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:04 - Jun 24 by SpruceMoose

I love it when we have our weekly 'Chico doesn't understand atheism 'thread!

I'll post the same thing as I always do:

Not collecting stamps isn't a hobby.

We aren't talking about *me* are we, I literally am talking about how other people may feel.

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:08 - Jun 24 with 1210 viewssparks

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:03 - Jun 24 by chicoazul

On oath of allegiance to the Queen- one presumes not to a fairy story character...

How so? Because there is nothing inherently hostile about not believing in a personal theistic god.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:10 - Jun 24 with 1201 viewschicoazul

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:08 - Jun 24 by sparks

On oath of allegiance to the Queen- one presumes not to a fairy story character...

How so? Because there is nothing inherently hostile about not believing in a personal theistic god.

From your perspective that's true. How might Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Sikhs feel?

Think the Oath still includes "swear to God" doesnt it..?

EDIT; I also think it's a bit rum how one can swear allegiance to the Queen - essentially a religious or if you prefer, spiritual figure and one who is herself deeply religious - and be an atheist.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 19:11]

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:11 - Jun 24 with 1188 viewssparks

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:10 - Jun 24 by chicoazul

From your perspective that's true. How might Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Sikhs feel?

Think the Oath still includes "swear to God" doesnt it..?

EDIT; I also think it's a bit rum how one can swear allegiance to the Queen - essentially a religious or if you prefer, spiritual figure and one who is herself deeply religious - and be an atheist.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 19:11]

Your question was about hostility. If people consider someone who does not share their beliefs but doesnt seek to impress any others on them, "hostile", then you may have happened upon one of the biggest issues with religion...

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:12 - Jun 24 with 1184 viewsSwansea_Blue

Atheists aren't your enemy chico. We're just not interested. We'd prefer the country to be run via decisions based on evidence and logic, but otherwise are quite happy for people of different religions to enjoy their religion in their communities and homes. We certainly don't want to bomb, shoot, burn or attack or kill you through any other means; you need to be more worried about people of different religions or secs if you're worried about hostility.

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:12 - Jun 24 with 1181 viewsJakeITFC

At first when I read this I thought it was stupid, but actually I think there is a fair point in there somewhere.

You’d have to think that something causing separation of church and state (eg in schools or the importance of any religious figures in any area of anything) would be a fairly logical next step.

Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing btw.
Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:13 - Jun 24 with 1176 viewschicoazul

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:11 - Jun 24 by sparks

Your question was about hostility. If people consider someone who does not share their beliefs but doesnt seek to impress any others on them, "hostile", then you may have happened upon one of the biggest issues with religion...

So atheists definitely arent hostile toward religious people?

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:13 - Jun 24 with 1170 viewschicoazul

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:12 - Jun 24 by JakeITFC

At first when I read this I thought it was stupid, but actually I think there is a fair point in there somewhere.

You’d have to think that something causing separation of church and state (eg in schools or the importance of any religious figures in any area of anything) would be a fairly logical next step.

Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing btw.

"At first when I read this I thought it was stupid, but actually I think there is a fair point in there somewhere."

Welcome to a chicoazul thread.

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:19 - Jun 24 with 1140 viewsGeoffSentence

An atheist, who couldn't give two hoots about any of the gods, is much less likely to be hostile to most religious people, than a confirmed religious person who, by definition, believes that there way is the right way and so all others must be weong.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:19 - Jun 24 with 1140 viewsSwansea_Blue

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:13 - Jun 24 by chicoazul

Depends whether you get militant atheists. And if you do, they're utter tools and probably not atheists anyway as they've decided to believe in a lack of belief, which seems somewhat contradictory. Urgh, this makes my head hurt. Nurse!

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:19 - Jun 24 with 1135 viewsDanTheMan

Also no, I could see why religious people might be though.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:23 - Jun 24 with 1112 viewssparks

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:13 - Jun 24 by chicoazul

Non sequitur.

Does anyone on here think they would be bothered.. on 19:25 - Jun 24 with 1106 viewsjontysnut

if being a Christian PM means war, poverty, widening gap between rich and poor, bedroom tax, food banks etc then i don't think there's much more to worry about from an atheist
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024