Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees 15:11 - Jun 25 with 2861 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

A hell of a lot of players at League One level find themselves out of contract.

Any player who fancies themselves as good enough for a top League One club or potentially higher will likely allow their contract to run down.

They don't command massive fees which forces the club to sell and it's better for a club like Gillingham to keep Eaves and hope that they somehow make the top 6 off his goals than to sell for a small fee on the basis of him only having done it in League One, only to find themselves in trouble without him.

We are the big fish in this division. Realistically we can pick up the cream of the division that is out of contract on this basis. It's the one time where not spending money actually makes sense.

This isn't an issue. It was having this attitude a division higher when very few quality players at that level were free.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:20 - Jun 25 with 2817 viewsMrTown

I’m more concerned that most are now been snapped up.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:20 - Jun 25 with 2816 viewsJ2BLUE

A lot of free CBs are like Shittu with the footwork of JET.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:29 - Jun 25 with 2769 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I agree, nothing wrong with a free.

Ultimately a good player on a free transfer is better deal
than a good player for £1m.

We've had some good free's over the years.

In this division, I think wage budget will have more impact than transfer budget.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:34 - Jun 25 with 2757 viewsGuthrum

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:20 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

CB wise, we have Chambers, Nsiala and Woolfenden, with Ndaba and Donacien as cover, plus Skuse can do a job in an emergency. For me, another LB is a higher priority.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:36 - Jun 25 with 2751 viewswkj

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:34 - Jun 25 by Guthrum

CB wise, we have Chambers, Nsiala and Woolfenden, with Ndaba and Donacien as cover, plus Skuse can do a job in an emergency. For me, another LB is a higher priority.

Isn't that Ahmed lad coming in as LB?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:41 - Jun 25 with 2730 viewsITFC_Forever

The lower leagues are whole different kettle of fish.

There's far less players on long-term contracts - three year deals are pretty uncommon... one / two year deals are far more the norm.

And as you say, the players who have shown they are decent players at L1 / L2 don't tend to sign new deals as they know their decent form will have attracted others.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:44 - Jun 25 with 2708 viewsGuthrum

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:36 - Jun 25 by wkj

Isn't that Ahmed lad coming in as LB?

Who? Must have missed that one.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 16:01 - Jun 25 with 2666 viewsOsborneOneNil

Nsiala and Wolfie as first choice.
Login to get fewer ads

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 16:03 - Jun 25 with 2651 viewschicoazul

Thanks for your input DanFord

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 17:19 - Jun 25 with 2544 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 15:20 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Tilt wasn't free though was he. Ultimately we couldn't afford him.

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 17:21 - Jun 25 with 2535 viewspointofblue

I agree, nothing written by with free transfers... as long as we are putting offers in.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 17:24 - Jun 25 with 2524 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 17:21 - Jun 25 by pointofblue

I agree, nothing written by with free transfers... as long as we are putting offers in.

We paid £750k for Harrison, the same for Edwards.

There are players of similar calibre in this division out of contract.

Norwood would probably have cost £1m plus at least. Older than Jackson but scored 3 times more goals in the same division and we paid well over that for Jackson.

I'd imagine Holy would have been £300,000 or so.

Nathan Thompson at Portsmouth could probably command £400,000.

So no point paying the sort of fees we paid for Harrison when you can get players of that ilk for nothing, using your position as one of the biggest 2 or 3 clubs at this level.

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 17:28 - Jun 25 with 2503 viewspointofblue

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 17:24 - Jun 25 by WarkTheWarkITFC

We paid £750k for Harrison, the same for Edwards.

There are players of similar calibre in this division out of contract.

Norwood would probably have cost £1m plus at least. Older than Jackson but scored 3 times more goals in the same division and we paid well over that for Jackson.

I'd imagine Holy would have been £300,000 or so.

Nathan Thompson at Portsmouth could probably command £400,000.

So no point paying the sort of fees we paid for Harrison when you can get players of that ilk for nothing, using your position as one of the biggest 2 or 3 clubs at this level.

I agree - I just have my doubts whether we are still looking to build the squad with frees after Lambert’s comments today. One more striker might be it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 18:00 - Jun 25 with 2443 viewsJ2BLUE

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 17:19 - Jun 25 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Tilt wasn't free though was he. Ultimately we couldn't afford him.

Hang on, are you actually Danford?!?!?!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 06:42 - Jun 26 with 2186 viewsKeaneish

Exactly the problem.
No-one's seen Ndaba play. Wolfenden has had one professional season on loan.
Skuse isn't a centre back. Donacien looked poor at centre back.
Nsiala is rash and Chambers is banned for the first game and has had a poor season.

All in, that's a really weak set of options in my opinion. If Chambers gets injured, we're already stretched!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 07:54 - Jun 26 with 2091 viewsBlueBoots

Also a hell of a lot of players above League One level find themselves out of contract...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/giovani-dos-santos/profil/spieler/44674

Just saying like

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 10:21 - Jun 26 with 1956 viewsblue62

Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at frees on 07:54 - Jun 26 by BlueBoots

Also a hell of a lot of players above League One level find themselves out of contract...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/giovani-dos-santos/profil/spieler/44674

Just saying like

That name has not cropped up for a few days, surprised no one has mentioned Darren Bent being available.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024