Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Insurance fraud 09:53 - Jun 28 with 1205 viewsBrianTablet

Do you know anyone who has recently reported a car missing?
I work for Axa and we have been suffering from a spate of imaginary car thefts.
They car is sold to a dodgy forum-dweller and reported as stolen.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Car Insurance fraud on 23:44 - Jun 30 with 978 viewsbritbiker

No. But had a mate who bought a car from a garage with a new mot. Turned out it was not road worthy so he complained to the garage who stated the mot only means it was road worthy on the day they done the mot and he must of damaged it immediately upon leaving their garage, so tough titties. He then complained to DVLA who were not interested.

He then paid someone to nick it, which they did and they burnt it out.

He put in an insurance claim and they offered him a low figure. Upon requesting a higher figure the insurers immediately provided evidence of him going back to garage and contracting DVLA. Basically 'we know what you did but can't yet prove it'.

He promptly accepted the lower figure and spent the next few months expecting a knock on the door by the Police.
Car Insurance fraud on 13:17 - Jul 1 with 700 viewsHARRY10

A few years back something similar happened as someone I knew bought a car at an auction, with 11 months on the MOT.

To keep it short it had terrible emission problems, the seller turned out to be a 'trader, the MOT was done 30 mile away and the only extra mileage was roughly that between the MOT station and the garage.

The auction house did not want to know nor the relevant authorities.

Odd thing that both the trader and the garage suffered damage to cars parked outside their respective premises a good bit later.

Funny old world, innit ?
Car Insurance fraud on 13:23 - Jul 1 with 683 viewsusm

When we were buying a car for my daughter a few years back, I questioned how it had just got an MOT as the tyres were clearly below the legal limit. The guy told me, vaguely, that it "may" have had different wheels (and tyres) on it when it was MOT'd - and this was a dealer!

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Car Insurance fraud on 13:28 - Jul 1 with 673 viewsSouperJim

Car Insurance fraud on 13:23 - Jul 1 by usm

When we were buying a car for my daughter a few years back, I questioned how it had just got an MOT as the tyres were clearly below the legal limit. The guy told me, vaguely, that it "may" have had different wheels (and tyres) on it when it was MOT'd - and this was a dealer!

MOT is barely worth the paper it is printed on. It literally means that the tester considered it to be road-legal at the exact point it was tested, with zero comeback on the tester as to the validity of that claim. If the tester has a vested interest in the car being road-legal...

Buyer beware. Verifiable service history and condition you observe with your own eyes are everything.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Car Insurance fraud on 13:30 - Jul 1 with 670 viewsHARRY10

Car Insurance fraud on 13:23 - Jul 1 by usm

Not an uncommon trick to put on tyresjust for the MOT.

For my part I have never had a problem buying private, even better now with ebay. A chap who knows his stuff always comes along.

Odd bit of advice was he suggests checking the address/area as his thought is that someone living in a wealthy area would not want the grief that goes with problems selling something that turns out to be a dud.

And yes he is a 'trader' though more of a hobby. His niche is recognising what cars are popular/ wanted in certain areas and then finding them cheaper elsewhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024