Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Women’s World Cup - success or not? 12:22 - Jul 7 with 789 viewsSE1blue

It’s been a very interesting tournament and it has caused many talking points throughout;

It’s won a lot of new supporters, including many more men.

VAR nearly killed it and now VAR needs a dose of VAR (a much closer look at how it should work).

I think the quality of the teams in the latter stages has proved the goals don’t need to be made smaller but the performance of keepers (still) needs to improve.

Politics and sport will always jar on the big stage. The media has made way more of certain issues than was needed and gone fishing for some that didn't really exist. There were also moments where sexism was claimed by players and it really wasn’t there. For me, women’s football is big enough to ignore comparisons now and should actually show its strength by not getting drawn into this area.

USA: A prime example of when confidence becomes arrogance. I don’t care about the goal celebration - I love a controversial celebration as it shows character - it’s the inability to accept criticism when they sportswomanship wrong. When nobody else behaves like you, that’s normally a measure of when to tone it down a bit.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:23 - Jul 7 with 776 viewsStokieBlue

It's been great.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:28 - Jul 7 with 762 viewsAce_High1

I don't get all this criticism about the USA being arrogant.

Any team or athlete at the top of their game, who is competing to win, and more often than not wins, has an ego - why shouldn't they enjoy being the best?

As you say we want to see individual players have a character so we can get to know the individual, and if they want to celebrate go for it.

When you are the best you have an edge, look across all sports, the best are always a little controversial but who cares. They work hard and they are performing so they can do what they like.

If you win, enjoy it otherwise give up and go home!
The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:32 - Jul 7 with 750 viewsJ2BLUE

It's been a huge success, a very enjoyably tournament. We shouldn't confuse confidence with arrogance. You could accuse England of a bit of arrogance the way they were talking before the USA game but it was just confidence. Same as when Neville said "we'll win that game" about the third place play off before the other semi had been played. It was just confidence and him stating England would bounce back but it can come across as arrogance.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:37 - Jul 7 with 732 viewsPendejo

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:23 - Jul 7 by StokieBlue

It's been great.

SB

Agreed

What little I have seen has been entertaining.

Watching the Lionesses was no different to watching the Lions... lot of promise before anti climax.

VAR approve or not, has made it more of a talking point than maybe it would have been otherwise, and all publicity is good publicity... isn't it?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:40 - Jul 7 with 720 viewschristiand

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:23 - Jul 7 by StokieBlue

It's been great.

SB

Well SB, putting F1 to one side, I agree with you. The tournament in promoting the women's game has been second to none and will give it a huge shot in the arm in going forwards.

Come on the Dutch!
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 12:49]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:50 - Jul 7 with 689 viewsSE1blue

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:32 - Jul 7 by J2BLUE

It's been a huge success, a very enjoyably tournament. We shouldn't confuse confidence with arrogance. You could accuse England of a bit of arrogance the way they were talking before the USA game but it was just confidence. Same as when Neville said "we'll win that game" about the third place play off before the other semi had been played. It was just confidence and him stating England would bounce back but it can come across as arrogance.

Ahhh didn’t see those interviews.

In Canada, we were shown an interview with Rapinoe where she said “we know we’re the best by far. Whatever anyone else brings won’t be as good as what we have.”

That’s where I felt confidence became arrogance but I see your point with context.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 14:05 - Jul 7 with 632 viewsSwailsey

It’s been fantastic and has won a new fan in me. I listen to the Football Daily each morning and have loved the coverage given to it on there - it’s made me feel really involved. The pundit team (especially Solo, Hayes and Nevin) have been fantastic.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 14:14 - Jul 7 with 622 viewsJ2BLUE

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 12:50 - Jul 7 by SE1blue

Ahhh didn’t see those interviews.

In Canada, we were shown an interview with Rapinoe where she said “we know we’re the best by far. Whatever anyone else brings won’t be as good as what we have.”

That’s where I felt confidence became arrogance but I see your point with context.

I see what you mean. I find it really odd that they aren't a bit more humble. Why give your opponents any additional motivation?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

The Women’s World Cup - success or not? on 14:16 - Jul 7 with 618 viewsDeano69

It absolutely has.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024