Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us 12:11 - Aug 7 with 5310 viewsportmanking

From bottom-ten Championship to top-ten League One.

As so many of us have predicted on here, ME is merely setting fan expectations in line with his own pockets.

He talks about marrying ambition and reality - the man's had zero ambition in us since 2011!!
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:12 - Aug 7 with 2273 viewsHerbivore

Relegation has meant we've gone from a bottom 10 Championship side to a top 10 League 1 side in terms of budget. I think you might have misunderstood his point.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:13 - Aug 7 with 2268 viewsReuser_is_God

His financial input hasn't changed.

We've lost £9m this summer which we will get back when we get promoted in May.

Calm down dear.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:15 - Aug 7 with 2251 viewsportmanking

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:12 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

Relegation has meant we've gone from a bottom 10 Championship side to a top 10 League 1 side in terms of budget. I think you might have misunderstood his point.

But how the heck are we only top 10 budget in this league?

Sunderland aside, we should be up there at the very top. This is a club that hasn't played at this level in two generations. ME is the only man culpable for residing over this decline and now he wants us to suck up his "prudence"!

The whole statement smacks of him getting tetchy about us questioning his ownership. Yes, he might not take a penny out of the club, but he knew full well what to expect from owning a modern-day football club.

Frankly, if he can't stand the heat, get out the god damn kitchen.
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:16 - Aug 7 with 2233 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is it a downgrade? I was slightly concerned he went top ten as I would see us as top 5 at least.

But are Luton, Brentford, Millwall, Barnsley, Charlton, Wigan, Blackburn, Preston, Hull and Reading any more flush than Sunderland, Portsmouth, Peterborough, Burton, Rotherham, Blackpool and Coventry, aside from the extra revenue that being in the division above brings?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:18 - Aug 7 with 2216 viewshomer_123

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:15 - Aug 7 by portmanking

Sunderland aside, we should be up there at the very top. This is a club that hasn't played at this level in two generations. ME is the only man culpable for residing over this decline and now he wants us to suck up his "prudence"!

The whole statement smacks of him getting tetchy about us questioning his ownership. Yes, he might not take a penny out of the club, but he knew full well what to expect from owning a modern-day football club.

Whilst I think you are over egging the importance, your point is valid - we should be more than 10 in terms of budget....but it is what it is.

At the end of the day Evan's article tells us nothing inherently different from what we already knew.

At this point, we just need Lambert to get on with is. We have 3 points on the board from a tricky away game at Burton. Let's consolidate that with 3 points against Sunderland.

Whilst debate and discussion is healthy....in this instance it isn't going to change anything.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:18 - Aug 7 with 2211 viewsSitfcB

We are in the top 68 in the country.

It’s just a number he has thrown out, in reality we are top 5 but he doesn’t want to limit the number.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:19 - Aug 7 with 2200 viewsHerbivore

In respect of the first part, I imagine we are top 2 or 3 in terms of budget but (a) I'm assuming he doesn't know every other side's budget, and (b) he's trying not to place too much expectation on us finishing top 2, as per the end of the interview.

In respect of the rest, the football landscape in the second tier has changed beyond recognition since ME bought the club. For the first few years under his ownership we were the big spenders in the division but fees and wages inflated hugely in recent years and we got left behind. It's all well and good saying he should just go, but that relies on someone coming in to buy us who is willing to both provide stability and invest at a greater level than ME is willing to. I'm not sure that's as straightforward as you seem to think it is.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2019 12:20]

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:20 - Aug 7 with 2198 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:16 - Aug 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is it a downgrade? I was slightly concerned he went top ten as I would see us as top 5 at least.

But are Luton, Brentford, Millwall, Barnsley, Charlton, Wigan, Blackburn, Preston, Hull and Reading any more flush than Sunderland, Portsmouth, Peterborough, Burton, Rotherham, Blackpool and Coventry, aside from the extra revenue that being in the division above brings?

Leeds/Forest/Wednesday/Derby/WBA compared to Rochdale/Bury/Accrington/AFC Wimbledon/Fleetwood...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:20 - Aug 7 with 2198 viewsPhilTWTD

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:18 - Aug 7 by SitfcB

We are in the top 68 in the country.

It’s just a number he has thrown out, in reality we are top 5 but he doesn’t want to limit the number.

Think it would be a surprise if we've not got the second biggest wage bill in the division.
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:21 - Aug 7 with 2179 viewsWeekender

Of course he has made numerous mistakes for which criticism is fair but financial criticism leads to the usual question: How much more of his money should he spend on your pastime?

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:23 - Aug 7 with 2161 viewsportmanking

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:19 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

In respect of the first part, I imagine we are top 2 or 3 in terms of budget but (a) I'm assuming he doesn't know every other side's budget, and (b) he's trying not to place too much expectation on us finishing top 2, as per the end of the interview.

In respect of the rest, the football landscape in the second tier has changed beyond recognition since ME bought the club. For the first few years under his ownership we were the big spenders in the division but fees and wages inflated hugely in recent years and we got left behind. It's all well and good saying he should just go, but that relies on someone coming in to buy us who is willing to both provide stability and invest at a greater level than ME is willing to. I'm not sure that's as straightforward as you seem to think it is.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2019 12:20]

On your last point re. stability. I think Evans is playing a masterstroke by duping fans into thinking he's providing that and "looking to the future", when in reality he's turned the investment tap off and running the club as a minimum viable product - something that Lambert has alluded to on several occasions.

Laughable that so many continue to be brainwashed by his annual drone.
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:25 - Aug 7 with 2133 viewsportmanking

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:21 - Aug 7 by Weekender

Of course he has made numerous mistakes for which criticism is fair but financial criticism leads to the usual question: How much more of his money should he spend on your pastime?

He should spend what it takes to get this big, proud, historic club where it should be - competitive in the second tier at the very minimum. Anything less is selling the people of Suffolk down the river.

And ultimately, if he can't achieve that, he should hold his hands up and admit he's failed and actively find a buyer to do right by the town.
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:26 - Aug 7 with 2121 viewsHerbivore

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:23 - Aug 7 by portmanking

On your last point re. stability. I think Evans is playing a masterstroke by duping fans into thinking he's providing that and "looking to the future", when in reality he's turned the investment tap off and running the club as a minimum viable product - something that Lambert has alluded to on several occasions.

Laughable that so many continue to be brainwashed by his annual drone.

And yet we have an academy that continues to do well and is producing players for the first team squad on a regular basis. That doesn't come cheap and all contributes to the future sustainability of the club.

You've not really addressed any of the points raised in this thread to be honest. Kind of feels like you're just having a rant.

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:29 - Aug 7 with 2093 viewsrosseden

did he really though, when he got involved it was nothing like it is now.

highest paid players in 2008/9 in the Uk
Lampard / Terry 140k p/w
highest paid now 320k p/w

championship top wages
2008 - 25k or so
now £80k

the game has moved on insane amounts.....

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:29 - Aug 7 with 2090 viewsHerbivore

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:25 - Aug 7 by portmanking

He should spend what it takes to get this big, proud, historic club where it should be - competitive in the second tier at the very minimum. Anything less is selling the people of Suffolk down the river.

And ultimately, if he can't achieve that, he should hold his hands up and admit he's failed and actively find a buyer to do right by the town.

How do you propose he does that second bit?

And how much of his own money should he put in to make the 14th best supported second tier side regular promotion contenders at that level? It's easy to say 'whatever it takes' but how much are we talking here?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:30 - Aug 7 with 2083 viewsFtnfwest

Bottom ten in the championship was being generous anyway, more like bottom 5
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:30 - Aug 7 with 2082 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:20 - Aug 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Leeds/Forest/Wednesday/Derby/WBA compared to Rochdale/Bury/Accrington/AFC Wimbledon/Fleetwood...

I think you miss the point.

I was comparing the bottom 10 of the Championship with the top (nearly) 10 in League 1.

Do you think we were on the same financial footing as the first of your list when we were in the Championship? Do you think we are now on the same financial footing as those in your comparison.

For what it's worth, I think ME is overplaying the number of League 1 clubs that could compare to our finances.

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:31 - Aug 7 with 2078 viewsportmanking

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:26 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

And yet we have an academy that continues to do well and is producing players for the first team squad on a regular basis. That doesn't come cheap and all contributes to the future sustainability of the club.

You've not really addressed any of the points raised in this thread to be honest. Kind of feels like you're just having a rant.

Yes I have, if the football landscape has changed that much, Evans should move on.

It's the same in any other type of industry. Evolve or die.
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:32 - Aug 7 with 2065 viewsFrankfurtBlue

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:13 - Aug 7 by Reuser_is_God

His financial input hasn't changed.

We've lost £9m this summer which we will get back when we get promoted in May.

Calm down dear.

Where does the £9m figure come from?
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:33 - Aug 7 with 2054 viewsHerbivore

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:31 - Aug 7 by portmanking

Yes I have, if the football landscape has changed that much, Evans should move on.

Okay, so I'll ask again. How do you propose he 'moves on'? How many buyers that can not only match Evans' spending but exceed it year on year do you think are out there looking to buy a club like us?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:33 - Aug 7 with 2054 viewsportmanking

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:29 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

How do you propose he does that second bit?

And how much of his own money should he put in to make the 14th best supported second tier side regular promotion contenders at that level? It's easy to say 'whatever it takes' but how much are we talking here?

As I've said before, you can't put a figure on it. We're the fans and the lifeblood of the club, not the commercial brains behind it. You don't have to be Einstein to recognise that our lack of competitiveness and dynamism on and off the pitch has led us to our lowest ebb.
So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:33 - Aug 7 with 2045 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:31 - Aug 7 by portmanking

How do you suggest he "moves on"?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:34 - Aug 7 with 2051 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:35 - Aug 7 with 2034 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:30 - Aug 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think you miss the point.

I was comparing the bottom 10 of the Championship with the top (nearly) 10 in League 1.

Do you think we were on the same financial footing as the first of your list when we were in the Championship? Do you think we are now on the same financial footing as those in your comparison.

For what it's worth, I think ME is overplaying the number of League 1 clubs that could compare to our finances.

Ah sorry, thought you meant in more general terms but can see what you mean now

But yes, I do still think it is a downgrade

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:35 - Aug 7 with 2029 viewsportmanking

So in one fell swoop Evans has downgraded us on 12:33 - Aug 7 by Herbivore

Okay, so I'll ask again. How do you propose he 'moves on'? How many buyers that can not only match Evans' spending but exceed it year on year do you think are out there looking to buy a club like us?

Of course there would be legitimate buyers out there that would be interested in buying Ipswich at the very bottom of their curve. If Bolton in their current state can attract attention, then we have every chance.

To me, Evans is now like a gambler at the roulette table, wanting one more spin and seemingly unable to accept failure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024