Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan Judge 07:43 - Aug 14 with 2662 viewsskyblue23

I can't understand the criticism that Alan Judge is getting. The same Alan Judge who fans were desperate to be announced, the same Alan Judge people where hoping didn't sign for QPR and the same Alan Judge I've seen multiple people say could be the best player in League 1.

He's had a bit part pre season with injury and now starting to get to full fitness. He came on Saturday replacing a guy who had scored our only 2 goals and looks to be the left midfielder we've been waiting for, so it was always going to be difficult to match that.

Yes he's looked rusty but I never expected him to come putting in 10/10 performances from the off. Get behind the guy rather than moan every time a cross falls short or he misplaces a pass!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Alan Judge on 07:51 - Aug 14 with 2608 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Alan Judge on 07:53 - Aug 14 with 2597 viewsGarv

Alan Judge on 07:51 - Aug 14 by BryanPlug

That’s so lazy just to look at stats though. Try looking at the bigger picture of last season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Alan Judge on 07:56 - Aug 14 with 2592 viewsskyblue23

The same Alan Judge who was the stand out performer in a team that wasn't good enough. There is only so much one player can do by himself.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Alan Judge on 08:03 - Aug 14 with 2553 viewsBryanPlug

Alan Judge on 07:56 - Aug 14 by skyblue23

The same Alan Judge who was the stand out performer in a team that wasn't good enough. There is only so much one player can do by himself.

Alan Judge on 08:21 - Aug 14 with 2491 viewsGuthrum

Judge is supposed to be a top class player. He was for Brentford, prior to his injury. However, until he begins to prove that for us (goals, assists, effective set-piece delivery, being the engine room of the team), there will always be this nagging skepticism.

From what I saw last season and the commentary this, he still seems low on self confidence, doesn't really know his place in the team or how best to apply his abilities. He is both of undroppably good pedigree and seemingly not operating in the right place, mentally or positionally.

Fortunately, unlike a serious physical injury, those things can be remedied as we go along. Hopefully Judge's effectiveness will increase as he becomes more comfortable.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Alan Judge on 08:26 - Aug 14 with 2467 viewsskyblue23

Alan Judge on 08:03 - Aug 14 by BryanPlug

Think if you look back to last season he was the only player to create anything for us. It's not down to Judge to put a ball in the box and then make it onto the end of his own cross. Hence why people were excited by the Judge Norwood partnership this season when it was announced we had both.

How many games does Norwood have to go without a goal before you start saying he isn't good enough?

Alan Judge on 08:35 - Aug 14 with 2447 viewsKeaneish

I see you've jumped on the meaningless Mullet stat train. Sadly, I can see this gaining momentum. There's a bigger picture than one player to target for any shortcomings. Is Norwood now rubbish because he hasn't scored for three games too?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 8:36]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Alan Judge on 08:45 - Aug 14 with 2399 viewsGuthrum

Alan Judge on 08:35 - Aug 14 by Keaneish

I see you've jumped on the meaningless Mullet stat train. Sadly, I can see this gaining momentum. There's a bigger picture than one player to target for any shortcomings. Is Norwood now rubbish because he hasn't scored for three games too?

Judge has now made 22 appearances for Ipswich, without the hoped-for impact. I'm not writing him off, or Dozzell, but they do have to start making their quality work - consistently - at some point.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Alan Judge on 08:50 - Aug 14 with 2362 viewsBryanPlug

Alan Judge on 08:26 - Aug 14 by skyblue23

Think if you look back to last season he was the only player to create anything for us. It's not down to Judge to put a ball in the box and then make it onto the end of his own cross. Hence why people were excited by the Judge Norwood partnership this season when it was announced we had both.

How many games does Norwood have to go without a goal before you start saying he isn't good enough?

Alan Judge on 08:51 - Aug 14 with 2351 viewsHerbivore

Alan Judge on 07:56 - Aug 14 by skyblue23

Several players managed to score or set up more goals than Judge during the second half of last season. Judge had a run of a few games where he looked good but rusty and lacking end product. He faded rather than pushed on thereafter. Some of our fans have rewritten this as him being the best player on the park by a mile every time he pulled on the shirt. Some others are a bit more skeptical based on his actual contribution. I'm hopeful he'll come good but we seem reluctant to play a system that really suits him at present and for much of last season too. Perhaps Lambert has also calculated that he's not good enough to build a side around.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Alan Judge on 09:00 - Aug 14 with 2308 viewsHerbivore

Alan Judge on 08:35 - Aug 14 by Keaneish

Judge has had half a season's worth of football with us. You may think stats are meaningless, but for an attacking player given a lot of freedom and who some of our fans think is too good for us, I would expect more than one assist and zero goals in half a season. Plenty of our supposedly inferior players managed better over that time frame.

Alan Judge on 09:03 - Aug 14 with 2297 viewsDubtractor

Alan Judge on 08:51 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

Several players managed to score or set up more goals than Judge during the second half of last season. Judge had a run of a few games where he looked good but rusty and lacking end product. He faded rather than pushed on thereafter. Some of our fans have rewritten this as him being the best player on the park by a mile every time he pulled on the shirt. Some others are a bit more skeptical based on his actual contribution. I'm hopeful he'll come good but we seem reluctant to play a system that really suits him at present and for much of last season too. Perhaps Lambert has also calculated that he's not good enough to build a side around.

So far, and I really hope that he improves on this, he has looked like one of those players with a bit of technical ability but no end product. Added to which he has very little positional discipline which gives an additional headache to the team.

The thing with his return this season is that it was a broken wrist, not a leg injury, so you'd assume that he should be fit enough, and probably will still have been doing a lot of work with the ball in pre season.

Lets hope that when the team settles into the season he becomes an important part of it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Alan Judge on 09:07 - Aug 14 with 2286 viewsKeaneish

Alan Judge on 08:45 - Aug 14 by Guthrum

Judge has now made 22 appearances for Ipswich, without the hoped-for impact. I'm not writing him off, or Dozzell, but they do have to start making their quality work - consistently - at some point.

Given Judge wasn't match fit in January which typically takes 3 - 4 games and he was drafted in amongst a sea of other players in a toothless side who were nigh on relegated and not playing the number 10 role with any regularity, I think he can be given some slack. Now he's been out injured during pre-season and still not match fit, quite, the knives are out. Of course he needs to perform, he’s a top earner and one of our best players.

I think Dozzell is a different story.

Alan Judge on 09:07 - Aug 14 with 2281 viewsHerbivore

Alan Judge on 09:03 - Aug 14 by Dubtractor

So far, and I really hope that he improves on this, he has looked like one of those players with a bit of technical ability but no end product. Added to which he has very little positional discipline which gives an additional headache to the team.

The thing with his return this season is that it was a broken wrist, not a leg injury, so you'd assume that he should be fit enough, and probably will still have been doing a lot of work with the ball in pre season.

Lets hope that when the team settles into the season he becomes an important part of it.

I hope he comes good, but I'm yet to be convinced. I agree with what you say about technical ability but no end product, last season he looked to me like a player who is at about 80% of what he would be at his best and that last 20% is that bit of sharpness around the box that gives you the end product. He's been back from his serious injury for over 2 and a half years so at what point do we say it's not a lack of match fitness anymore and that he just isn't the player he used to be?

Alan Judge on 09:12 - Aug 14 with 2260 viewsMullet

Alan Judge on 08:45 - Aug 14 by Guthrum

People seem to be forgetting Leeds at home very quickly regarding Dozzell.

We've changed our striker, our keeper, got a few missing and the expectation of this league to perform. It's no wonder players are looking out of sorts, but a few who are quick to write off or trumpet players they either haven't seen much of, or don't read the game very well are going to look silly.

Downes and Woolfenden have had loans and come back in next to senior pros with a settled position and a word in their ear. Lambert seems to have no idea where to play Andre, whereas MM and England have him set.

Based on the potential both have over the next 18 months, it's odd to see anyone not argue both have to produce now or they'll have no future here.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Alan Judge on 09:25 - Aug 14 with 2212 viewsHerbivore

Alan Judge on 09:07 - Aug 14 by Keaneish

Given Judge wasn't match fit in January which typically takes 3 - 4 games and he was drafted in amongst a sea of other players in a toothless side who were nigh on relegated and not playing the number 10 role with any regularity, I think he can be given some slack. Now he's been out injured during pre-season and still not match fit, quite, the knives are out. Of course he needs to perform, he’s a top earner and one of our best players.

I think Dozzell is a different story.

Judge wasn't match fit when he signed? He'd made two dozen appearances for Brentford that season before joining us. Admittedly many were from the bench but he'd had decent game time, plus a full preseason, plus training with their first team squad regularly. Even allowing for a few games to get up to full sharpness he still flattered to deceive and if anything his performances declined as the season progressed.

Alan Judge on 09:30 - Aug 14 with 2187 viewsHerbivore

Alan Judge on 09:12 - Aug 14 by Mullet

People seem to be forgetting Leeds at home very quickly regarding Dozzell.

We've changed our striker, our keeper, got a few missing and the expectation of this league to perform. It's no wonder players are looking out of sorts, but a few who are quick to write off or trumpet players they either haven't seen much of, or don't read the game very well are going to look silly.

Downes and Woolfenden have had loans and come back in next to senior pros with a settled position and a word in their ear. Lambert seems to have no idea where to play Andre, whereas MM and England have him set.

Based on the potential both have over the next 18 months, it's odd to see anyone not argue both have to produce now or they'll have no future here.

I really think Dozzell needs a loan somewhere for a year to get him fully match tough and match fit. We are ridiculously well stocked in central midfield and I'm not sure he is quite up to where we need him to be physically at this point to be a regular starter. I don't know if this is still feasible, but a loan to somewhere like a Dutch side or German second tier side would do him the world of good. The leagues are still tough but there's less emphasis on physicality and more on technical ability and I think he could really flourish playing regularly overseas for a year. There's no value in sending him to a League 2 side to get kicked off the park and he will only develop so far with the odd cameo for us.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 9:41]

Alan Judge on 09:33 - Aug 14 with 2175 viewsWestcountryblue

Judge just needs a goal or assist to build his confidence and good run of games.
Alan Judge on 09:42 - Aug 14 with 2136 viewsHerbivore

Alan Judge on 09:33 - Aug 14 by Westcountryblue

Judge just needs a goal or assist to build his confidence and good run of games.

Based on how he's done so far we'll only be waiting until Christmas.

Alan Judge on 09:52 - Aug 14 with 2116 viewsLanky

He helped change the game back in our favour when he came on at Burton and looked very assured. I haven’t been to the past two games but are we flouncing a little bit here?
Alan Judge on 10:00 - Aug 14 with 2083 viewsmonty_radio

I think that when the arrival of a player such as Judge is hyped beyond all possibility that 30yr old returnee from long-term injury can deliver, and having been let go by a middling Championship club, disappointment is always likely.

Certainly, last season he had the look of a player who could control a game in the manner that we'd sadly lacked since McGoldrick dropped off, but he never actually delivered the victories we sought, nor did he bring others into play as might have been hoped. When there is hype and hope doubters are silenced. Those criticising now have not necessarily changed their minds, but may be expressing qualified doubts which his actual performances never did enough to allay and which they knew would be drowned out had they made them earlier.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Alan Judge on 10:22 - Aug 14 with 2027 viewsKeaneish

Alan Judge on 08:50 - Aug 14 by BryanPlug

I thought all Town fans agreed that this season was a clean slate and that PL was going to be given time to shape his team. That goes for players he's signed too for me. There's a lot of chat about Judge's contribution in our side last year. If i remember rightly, he was a breath of fresh air when he signed and looked to make things happen. That curtailed as relegation set in, probably inevitably really.

I'll judge him properly when he's fit and had a run of a few games in a settled starting 11. As far as i'm concerned at the moment though, he's still the best player in our side who we should build a side around.

Alan Judge on 10:28 - Aug 14 with 2011 viewsHerbivore

Alan Judge on 10:22 - Aug 14 by Keaneish

I thought all Town fans agreed that this season was a clean slate and that PL was going to be given time to shape his team. That goes for players he's signed too for me. There's a lot of chat about Judge's contribution in our side last year. If i remember rightly, he was a breath of fresh air when he signed and looked to make things happen. That curtailed as relegation set in, probably inevitably really.

I'll judge him properly when he's fit and had a run of a few games in a settled starting 11. As far as i'm concerned at the moment though, he's still the best player in our side who we should build a side around.

So it's okay for you to judge that he's the best player in our side and we should build a team around him but it's not okay for others to judge that he's been underwhelming and has it all to prove still?

Alan Judge on 10:35 - Aug 14 with 1986 viewshaynes_toe1

He's a good player, but he's also a bit of a 'luxury' player, as people used to refer to number 10's as.

The problem with a player like Judge is he needs good movement in and around him for his technical and passing ability to show. Aside from Norwood, i'm not sure anyone offers that in abundance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024