Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughtful BBC piece on Didcot power station 07:41 - Aug 16 with 702 viewsSteve_M

Ahead of the demolition of it's cooling towers this weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-49165336

Having spent a few years working closely with a couple of power stations of that era, and visited a few more, I have mixed feelings about their demise. Relics of a bygone era in many ways but places that contributed greatly to the country over their working lives and the view from many trains won't be the same without the outline of cooling towers in the distance.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 7:54]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thoughtful BBC piece on Didcot power station on 08:29 - Aug 16 with 631 viewsdavblue

i suspect they want the space for housing developments, they are really aggressive around these parts at the moment for building houses and they are a bit of an eyesore.

Didcot has been blighted a bit by association with the views, which i suspect will now be softened over the years.
Thoughtful BBC piece on Didcot power station on 08:38 - Aug 16 with 614 viewssoupytwist

Reminds me of train journeys to Bristol while I was at university to see my girlfriend at the time as the train generally stopped at Didcot Parkway and passed the power station on the way out. Also didn’t know it was designed by Gibberd, architect of much of Harlow.

I’d forgotten about the terrible building collapse a few years ago, hopefully the rest of the decommissioning occurs without incident.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024