Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this taking offence too far? 08:04 - Aug 20 with 725 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49395718

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:15 - Aug 20 with 688 viewsHerbivore

Surely those with a disability are best placed to judge the offence they are allowed to take at someone mocking their disability? If he'd done a visual skit on people with cerebral palsy that involved lots of jerky movements would that have been okay? And if not why is that different from a joke about Tourettes?

They're right that it's not even a particular good joke, most of the other contenders were better imo.

Edit - By the way, I'm not advocating censorship at all, but I don't think it's right to start suggesting people shouldn't be offended at their disability being mocked. My own view is that comedy should be able to shock and offend but should acknowledge when it does so rather than suggesting people shouldn't be offended.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 8:19]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:28 - Aug 20 with 642 viewshomer_123

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:15 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Surely those with a disability are best placed to judge the offence they are allowed to take at someone mocking their disability? If he'd done a visual skit on people with cerebral palsy that involved lots of jerky movements would that have been okay? And if not why is that different from a joke about Tourettes?

They're right that it's not even a particular good joke, most of the other contenders were better imo.

Edit - By the way, I'm not advocating censorship at all, but I don't think it's right to start suggesting people shouldn't be offended at their disability being mocked. My own view is that comedy should be able to shock and offend but should acknowledge when it does so rather than suggesting people shouldn't be offended.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 8:19]

That's the point though - isn't it.

It's subjective. Two people that suffer with that condition could hear that joke, one be offended and one not.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:31 - Aug 20 with 635 viewsDanTheMan

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:28 - Aug 20 by homer_123

It's subjective. Two people that suffer with that condition could hear that joke, one be offended and one not.

Just to play devils advocate, you can say that about outright racist jokes, but I doubt any of those are going to be winning joke of the year.

As for the joke that won it, puns get tiresome pretty quickly so it's not for me.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:31 - Aug 20 with 634 viewsHerbivore

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:28 - Aug 20 by homer_123

Yes, but that doesn't mean the person who takes offence is wrong to take offence. And quite a few people with Tourettes in the article were, if not offended, disappointed by the joke. And I'm not sure it's for people on a football forum who don't have Tourettes to decide whether people with Tourettes being offended by a joke about Tourettes is them taking offence too far.

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:32 - Aug 20 with 626 viewsHerbivore

Is this taking offence too far? on 08:31 - Aug 20 by DanTheMan

Just to play devils advocate, you can say that about outright racist jokes, but I doubt any of those are going to be winning joke of the year.

As for the joke that won it, puns get tiresome pretty quickly so it's not for me.

Agreed, they're okay for a cheap laugh but they're really not all that punny.

Badoom tish!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024