Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pattern of play debate 11:29 - Sep 2 with 1059 viewsGerkensBeard

Is it possible Lambert has us set up as a counter attacking team as he wants us to become absolutely lethal at it throughout the season, which would serve us better in the championship. Rather than playing sexy football 4-3-3 every week which may still take us up but come to the championship the players not having enough quality to play it then having no goal threat
The Pattern of play debate on 11:37 - Sep 2 with 1026 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

A counter attacking team in a division where most teams are going to park the bus against us?

Not sure I can see the logic behind that one.

Games like Saturday will suit us. Teams will come to get men behind the ball and when they have to try and get themselves back into a game we will be absolutely lethal at picking them off.

The big tests will come in games like Wimbledon where it is 0-0 at 70 minutes or the other team has nicked one.

The early goal completely shafted Shrewsbury.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The Pattern of play debate on 11:50 - Sep 2 with 988 viewsGerkensBeard

The Pattern of play debate on 11:37 - Sep 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

A counter attacking team in a division where most teams are going to park the bus against us?

Games like Saturday will suit us. Teams will come to get men behind the ball and when they have to try and get themselves back into a game we will be absolutely lethal at picking them off.

The big tests will come in games like Wimbledon where it is 0-0 at 70 minutes or the other team has nicked one.

Exactly, it doesn’t quite make much sense for this league. But I’m wondering if he knows his players are good enough to win playing like that he can develop his style more for the future.

I think the game plan at the moment just looks as though go absolutely mad at the opposition the first 10-20 minutes, then pick them off when they have to come forward.

Patient build up play is far easier to defend against than teams that attack you at pace. It’s all about game management. Which is why for periods of the game we look second best, you have to pick your moments when to go for it and pick your moments to press. It may not look like it, but with the way we’re set up we’re a very good team at the moment. Opposition are scared of our front 2 as they know we can hit them at any moment. And when the opposition have the ball they frightened of losing it as the speed we counter

To back that up in the games we’ve started 4-4-2.

1-0 up at Burton - 11 minutes
1-0 up vs Sunderland - 15 minutes
1-0 up at Posh - 4 minutes
Can’t really include the Bolton game
2-0 vs Shews - 10 minutes
The Pattern of play debate on 11:55 - Sep 2 with 973 viewsMrTown

The Pattern of play debate on 11:37 - Sep 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It was a counter attack that shifted Shrewsbury first goal and last.

It been the way we've played for the season, and it is working well.

Shrewsbury I didn't feel put 11 men behind the ball, they weren't a terrible side.

Could be quite a wise move if you ask me to play counter football, try and encourage teams to come out the shell, move up the pitch and expand their 11 men, then win the ball back and with our quality hit them quick whilst they are not compact.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

The Pattern of play debate on 11:59 - Sep 2 with 950 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The Pattern of play debate on 11:55 - Sep 2 by MrTown

It was a counter attack that shifted Shrewsbury first goal and last.

It been the way we've played for the season, and it is working well.

Shrewsbury I didn't feel put 11 men behind the ball, they weren't a terrible side.

Could be quite a wise move if you ask me to play counter football, try and encourage teams to come out the shell, move up the pitch and expand their 11 men, then win the ball back and with our quality hit them quick whilst they are not compact.

Our first wasn’t a counter attack, great tackle from Skuse well inside their half.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The Pattern of play debate on 12:01 - Sep 2 with 940 viewsDarth_Koont

The Pattern of play debate on 11:50 - Sep 2 by GerkensBeard

Exactly, it doesn’t quite make much sense for this league. But I’m wondering if he knows his players are good enough to win playing like that he can develop his style more for the future.

I think the game plan at the moment just looks as though go absolutely mad at the opposition the first 10-20 minutes, then pick them off when they have to come forward.

Patient build up play is far easier to defend against than teams that attack you at pace. It’s all about game management. Which is why for periods of the game we look second best, you have to pick your moments when to go for it and pick your moments to press. It may not look like it, but with the way we’re set up we’re a very good team at the moment. Opposition are scared of our front 2 as they know we can hit them at any moment. And when the opposition have the ball they frightened of losing it as the speed we counter

To back that up in the games we’ve started 4-4-2.

1-0 up at Burton - 11 minutes
1-0 up vs Sunderland - 15 minutes
1-0 up at Posh - 4 minutes
Can’t really include the Bolton game
2-0 vs Shews - 10 minutes

I think we should be able to play a bit of both - and we showed that by getting back into the Wimbledon game even if we weren't all that convincing.

But I think that relies on us seeing more of our better and more controlled ball-players like Huws, Garbutt, Georgiou, Dozzell, Keane, Dobra, El Mizouni and eventually Bishop and Nydam.

We could end up with a bloody strong team if we can find the right balance - and there'll be a ridiculous bench too.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Pattern of play debate on 12:43 - Sep 2 with 859 viewsdavblue

The Pattern of play debate on 12:01 - Sep 2 by Darth_Koont

I think we should be able to play a bit of both - and we showed that by getting back into the Wimbledon game even if we weren't all that convincing.

But I think that relies on us seeing more of our better and more controlled ball-players like Huws, Garbutt, Georgiou, Dozzell, Keane, Dobra, El Mizouni and eventually Bishop and Nydam.

We could end up with a bloody strong team if we can find the right balance - and there'll be a ridiculous bench too.

just to dismiss counter attacking as not needed is naive, the opponents aren't ever going to be near our penalty box? (not aimed at you)

Man untied did it for years under Fergie and it's a great weapon if it's set up and executed well.
The Pattern of play debate on 13:24 - Sep 2 with 805 viewsKeaneish

I think the strategy is 442 until most of the squad is back fit to get us off to a good start and get points on the board. Once we have momentum, i think he'll tinker with it and we'll see a 433 / 451. That may all go out of the window if Norwood and Jackson keep banging in goals for fun though!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The Pattern of play debate on 13:35 - Sep 2 with 779 viewsNo9

The biggest change, apart from droppping a division is that PL has done the right thing in putting round pegs in round holes.
I feel sure the pattern and formations will change depending upon the strength's & weaknesses of the opposition
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024