Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
20 ft high rose bush 11:03 - Sep 7 with 2472 viewsgiant_stow

I think I need to chop it back, but how much and when (pretty please)?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

20 ft high rose bush on 11:12 - Sep 7 with 2215 viewsGeoffSentence

I'm no gardner but do have some rampant rambling roses to keep in check so I will offer my uneducated and possibly wrong advice, based on my experience.

Cut it when after i has finished flowering really, just so you can enjoy the blloms.

Cut it right back to the base, ground level, in my experience you wont be able to kill the fecking thing, it will grow back vigorously and you at least will have a couple of years before you really have to hack it back again.

Like I said, I know feck all about plants and sht, but that's how I handle my barstard roses.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

20 ft high rose bush on 11:20 - Sep 7 with 2200 viewsgiant_stow

20 ft high rose bush on 11:12 - Sep 7 by GeoffSentence

I'm no gardner but do have some rampant rambling roses to keep in check so I will offer my uneducated and possibly wrong advice, based on my experience.

Cut it when after i has finished flowering really, just so you can enjoy the blloms.

Cut it right back to the base, ground level, in my experience you wont be able to kill the fecking thing, it will grow back vigorously and you at least will have a couple of years before you really have to hack it back again.

Like I said, I know feck all about plants and sht, but that's how I handle my barstard roses.

chuckle, that's exactly how I feel about mine! Thanks for advice - not sure I dare go right back to the ground, but I think i have to be savage or the fence that it's wired to will fall down.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

20 ft high rose bush on 11:21 - Sep 7 with 2196 viewssparks

20 ft high rose bush on 11:20 - Sep 7 by giant_stow

chuckle, that's exactly how I feel about mine! Thanks for advice - not sure I dare go right back to the ground, but I think i have to be savage or the fence that it's wired to will fall down.

Roses react well to severe pruning. Its actively recommended.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

20 ft high rose bush on 11:27 - Sep 7 with 2182 viewsgiant_stow

20 ft high rose bush on 11:21 - Sep 7 by sparks

Roses react well to severe pruning. Its actively recommended.

I had no idea - cheers. Right then, the bastad's getting it!

20 ft high rose bush on 11:36 - Sep 7 with 2168 viewsbrogansnose

Madam Brogan insisted that we planted loads of climbing and rambling roses against the house and walls then double backed into getting me to do the damn pruning. There are guidelines as to when its best to prune them but I tend to do them all year round with a major butchering late Winter early spring. Bully is not wrong when he says they respond to harsh pruning when is preferable to leaving them to get old and knarled.

This may help; https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=189

Obviously, and a major rule this, anything that flowers yellow against green leaves should be ripped from the ground and burnt !!!
20 ft high rose bush on 11:58 - Sep 7 with 2143 viewswkj

Like hazel, you want to keep it in check, as others have said, roses are robust when pruned. You should be fine you sling the unwanted cuttings into the blown bin, it seems No wood is allowed in there, but cuttings are

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

20 ft high rose bush on 12:00 - Sep 7 with 2138 viewsjeera

20 ft high rose bush on 11:58 - Sep 7 by wkj

Like hazel, you want to keep it in check, as others have said, roses are robust when pruned. You should be fine you sling the unwanted cuttings into the blown bin, it seems No wood is allowed in there, but cuttings are

There are hazel plants here but apart from several buds, no actual nuts.

How does one encourage some actual bloody harvest from those things?

Please.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

20 ft high rose bush on 12:02 - Sep 7 with 2131 viewswkj

20 ft high rose bush on 12:00 - Sep 7 by jeera

Please.

I have an issue with no nuts too, I haven't managed to cultivate them on my tree either

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

20 ft high rose bush on 12:04 - Sep 7 with 2125 viewsfooters

20 ft high rose bush on 12:02 - Sep 7 by wkj

I have an issue with no nuts too, I haven't managed to cultivate them on my tree either

Try a few bags of salted KP, then go out in the garden for an EMP.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

20 ft high rose bush on 12:07 - Sep 7 with 2122 viewsjeera

Just spoke to my neighbour, who is an avid gardener, and he was asking things like, how old the plant is, how does the growth spread, and other such pertinent stuff.

I said I didn't know and he looked at me like a fool. So thanks for that.

Generally speaking then, he said, being that damn big, you can afford to lose a good 15ft.

Sounds about right dunnit.

20 ft high rose bush on 12:07 - Sep 7 with 2114 viewswkj

20 ft high rose bush on 12:07 - Sep 7 by jeera

Just spoke to my neighbour, who is an avid gardener, and he was asking things like, how old the plant is, how does the growth spread, and other such pertinent stuff.

I said I didn't know and he looked at me like a fool. So thanks for that.

Generally speaking then, he said, being that damn big, you can afford to lose a good 15ft.

Sounds about right dunnit.

Cut the tree down and count the rings, then get back to him

Crybaby

20 ft high rose bush on 12:08 - Sep 7 with 2112 viewsjeera

20 ft high rose bush on 12:04 - Sep 7 by footers

Try a few bags of salted KP, then go out in the garden for an EMP.

What is an EMP?

And when did people stop using actual words?

20 ft high rose bush on 12:10 - Sep 7 with 2109 viewswkj

20 ft high rose bush on 12:08 - Sep 7 by jeera

What is an EMP?

EMP. MMP, MAP ... all related to ablutions and certain times of the day

Crybaby

20 ft high rose bush on 12:10 - Sep 7 with 2108 viewsfooters

20 ft high rose bush on 12:08 - Sep 7 by jeera

What is an EMP?

Early Morning Poo.

Don't worry, me old fruit, it's just a wkj thing. He's an obsessive coprophile, quite difficult to keep up with his scatalogical ramblings at time!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

20 ft high rose bush on 12:11 - Sep 7 with 2103 viewsfactual_blue

There are at least three euphemisms in your question.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

20 ft high rose bush on 12:11 - Sep 7 with 2102 viewswkj

20 ft high rose bush on 12:10 - Sep 7 by footers

Early Morning Poo.

Don't worry, me old fruit, it's just a wkj thing. He's an obsessive coprophile, quite difficult to keep up with his scatalogical ramblings at time!

I wasnt the actual daddy of the MMP, I believe it was that fella with professor "good news everyone" as his avatar what did buh, that uefa fella

Crybaby

20 ft high rose bush on 12:15 - Sep 7 with 2096 viewsjeera

20 ft high rose bush on 12:10 - Sep 7 by footers

Early Morning Poo.

I think in some circumstances an initialism is more appropriate.

20 ft high rose bush on 12:28 - Sep 7 with 2080 viewswkj

20 ft high rose bush on 12:15 - Sep 7 by jeera

I think in some circumstances an initialism is more appropriate.

People think that the LBF, that is the Lefty Bumfest (founded by Benters as it happens) talk in code with hidden in jokes scattered everywhere, when actually it is just me that does that as Footers and Spruce are a bit too thick to pull it off. In most cases it is our modus operandi to use respectful code to shield the sensitivities of our fellow man, woman or Dolly.

Crybaby

20 ft high rose bush on 12:31 - Sep 7 with 2071 viewsjeera

20 ft high rose bush on 12:07 - Sep 7 by wkj

Cut the tree down and count the rings, then get back to him

I suppose Ulla uses a duodecimal system of sorts so hopefully the plant is along the lines of 6, 12, or even 18 years old.

20 ft high rose bush on 12:46 - Sep 7 with 2054 viewssolemio

20 ft high rose bush on 11:36 - Sep 7 by brogansnose

Madam Brogan insisted that we planted loads of climbing and rambling roses against the house and walls then double backed into getting me to do the damn pruning. There are guidelines as to when its best to prune them but I tend to do them all year round with a major butchering late Winter early spring. Bully is not wrong when he says they respond to harsh pruning when is preferable to leaving them to get old and knarled.

Obviously, and a major rule this, anything that flowers yellow against green leaves should be ripped from the ground and burnt !!!

You let a bunch of budgies dictate to you what you grow in your garden?

They're beating you.

Peace. (It's a famous yellowish rose)
20 ft high rose bush on 13:12 - Sep 7 with 2034 viewsgiant_stow

Went for a little nap and came back to tons of good advice - thanks all!!

20 ft high rose bush on 13:21 - Sep 7 with 2009 viewsRyorry

20 ft high rose bush on 12:00 - Sep 7 by jeera

Please.

You need to get it a mate to have sex with :)

Seriously, they need to cross-pollinate with another tree like them (but not exactly the same variety is best, so, eg I have a Filbert Cosford which is buddied up with a Kent Cob). Planted them about 25 feet apart for max effect, but I think 15-40 feet apart may be OK. They can either be kept down to large shrub size by pruning, or allowed to grow to their max.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

20 ft high rose bush on 13:23 - Sep 7 with 2005 viewsRyorry

20 ft high rose bush on 11:36 - Sep 7 by brogansnose

I too have this eternal moral dilemma, but simply cannot bring myself to give my gloriously scented yellow honeysuckle the chop :( Is there a helpline anywhere for this problem does anyone know?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

20 ft high rose bush on 13:27 - Sep 7 with 1994 viewsbrogansnose

20 ft high rose bush on 13:23 - Sep 7 by Ryorry

I too have this eternal moral dilemma, but simply cannot bring myself to give my gloriously scented yellow honeysuckle the chop :( Is there a helpline anywhere for this problem does anyone know?

If I'm honest , we've got a Graham Thomas shrub rose which is absolutely lovely and has a wonderful fragrance. It does well probably because I give it a more viscious hacking than the others.
20 ft high rose bush on 13:32 - Sep 7 with 1982 viewsWeWereZombies

20 ft high rose bush on 12:10 - Sep 7 by wkj

EMP. MMP, MAP ... all related to ablutions and certain times of the day

Is an MAP mid afternoon or morning after? Great deal of difference in the approach needed and the effect on one's system...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024