Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom 13:16 - Nov 18 with 1989 viewsGeoffSentence

If, as they continually like to tell us, tax cuts result in a higher tax take, why are they now delaying the corporation tax cut because this will save £6BN?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 13:37 - Nov 18 with 1931 viewsDarth_Koont

Sadly, I think it's because they largely make this stuff up as they go along.

And they've been misrepresenting themselves as the government who is responsible and doesn't spend money it hasn't got (not like the other lot who will drag the country into rack and ruin). When the evidence of the past 30 years just says that's a straight-up lie.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 13:40 - Nov 18 with 1913 viewsJ2BLUE

They've finally got something right but even then it comes across as something they've pretty much been forced into so the other parties can't use it against them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 13:52 - Nov 18 with 1870 viewstabletopjoe

Sadly we’ve reached a stage now where the main parties will just churn out complete nonsense on a daily basis, knowing that people will still vote for them. The country has forgotten how to think

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 14:25 - Nov 18 with 1809 viewsfactual_blue

Spoiler alert - they're talking rubbish and lying.

Remember - you can always tell when a tory lies. His (or her) lips move.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 14:25]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 14:38 - Nov 18 with 1773 viewsOldsmoker

Stick it on a bus Boris.
"We were going to give £6bn a year to the Corporations. Let's spend it on the NHS instead"
That seems to be a re-hash of a previous lie.
It worked before - surely people aren't going to fall for it a second time?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 14:44 - Nov 18 with 1740 viewsDarth_Koont

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 14:38 - Nov 18 by Oldsmoker

Stick it on a bus Boris.
"We were going to give £6bn a year to the Corporations. Let's spend it on the NHS instead"
That seems to be a re-hash of a previous lie.
It worked before - surely people aren't going to fall for it a second time?

When it's on the side of a bus you're allowed to add 50% and round it up.

So even better for the NHS, it looks like it'll be 10 billion and gold-plated bed pans.

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 15:18 - Nov 18 with 1695 viewsBlueRaider

The tax take is not linear when presented against the rate, the take will rise to a point as the rate rises but will then fall as businesses move (or move profits) to lower tax jurisdictions.

The point at which it starts to fall is a point of debate of course, but given the rates in many comparable countries I think the sweet spot is probably close to where we are now.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:06 - Nov 18 with 1627 viewsDarth_Koont

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 15:18 - Nov 18 by BlueRaider

The tax take is not linear when presented against the rate, the take will rise to a point as the rate rises but will then fall as businesses move (or move profits) to lower tax jurisdictions.

The point at which it starts to fall is a point of debate of course, but given the rates in many comparable countries I think the sweet spot is probably close to where we are now.

We have one of the lowest combined tax rates leading to one of the lowest tax takes per GDP in the West.

Certainly way too low for a country that says it can't afford its public services, social welfare or to invest in housing, infrastructure, industry etc.

Login to get fewer ads

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:14 - Nov 18 with 1605 viewsBlueRaider

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:06 - Nov 18 by Darth_Koont

We have one of the lowest combined tax rates leading to one of the lowest tax takes per GDP in the West.

Certainly way too low for a country that says it can't afford its public services, social welfare or to invest in housing, infrastructure, industry etc.

I've seen what happened when Labour were in last time, and the rate was nearer 30% than 20%, companies changed their policies in order to legally move profit to lower tax jurisdictions. One medium sized company I know did that and I estimate it has cost the UK £1m over the last 10 years, and that is just one company.

Putting corporation tax rates up will be a mistake

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:23 - Nov 18 with 1588 viewsDarth_Koont

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:14 - Nov 18 by BlueRaider

I've seen what happened when Labour were in last time, and the rate was nearer 30% than 20%, companies changed their policies in order to legally move profit to lower tax jurisdictions. One medium sized company I know did that and I estimate it has cost the UK £1m over the last 10 years, and that is just one company.

Putting corporation tax rates up will be a mistake

So how do countries with higher corporate tax rates and tax takes to GDP manage to grow their economy faster than ours? By your reckoning, they should all be channelling profits overseas.

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:36 - Nov 18 with 1570 viewsSteve_M

Another part of the conundrum:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:39 - Nov 18 with 1556 viewsfactual_blue

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:23 - Nov 18 by Darth_Koont

So how do countries with higher corporate tax rates and tax takes to GDP manage to grow their economy faster than ours? By your reckoning, they should all be channelling profits overseas.

Is the answer 'they all have magic money trees'?

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:54 - Nov 18 with 1517 viewsDarth_Koont

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 16:39 - Nov 18 by factual_blue

Is the answer 'they all have magic money trees'?

Most of ours are magic palm trees now in the Caymans.

This is what I don't get - we've effectively turned ourselves into a corporate tax haven over the past decade. And now we have to worry about losing companies and their taxable profits to somewhere else if we don't drop the rate further?

The other Western European countries and their companies seem to share a different philosophy that is more long-term productive for society. Our companies seem to believe in only being productive for the shareholders, owners, executives and the party politicians they buy off.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 16:55]

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 17:00 - Nov 18 with 1500 viewsbraveblue

All about timing. Correct thing to do in my opinion.
The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 17:01 - Nov 18 with 1497 viewsbraveblue

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 13:37 - Nov 18 by Darth_Koont

Sadly, I think it's because they largely make this stuff up as they go along.

And they've been misrepresenting themselves as the government who is responsible and doesn't spend money it hasn't got (not like the other lot who will drag the country into rack and ruin). When the evidence of the past 30 years just says that's a straight-up lie.

Nonsense.
The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 17:17 - Nov 18 with 1462 viewsDarth_Koont

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 17:01 - Nov 18 by braveblue

Nonsense.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-b

Obviously this guy's going totally wrong looking at the actual figures when he should be swallowing unfounded soundbites instead.

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 17:20 - Nov 18 with 1456 viewsGeoffSentence

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 17:00 - Nov 18 by braveblue

All about timing. Correct thing to do in my opinion.

Yes, but which Conservative position is the right one.

This one

Or this one

"Mr Johnson told the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) that "before you storm the stage and protest", the move would generate £6bn to spend on "priorities of the British people".

They can't both be true. Even taking timing into account, since they 'always produce more revenue'

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 18:27 - Nov 18 with 1414 viewsfactual_blue

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 17:17 - Nov 18 by Darth_Koont

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-b

Obviously this guy's going totally wrong looking at the actual figures when he should be swallowing unfounded soundbites instead.

Yeah, but he's just an accountant and professor at the City University. What does he know?

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 18:30 - Nov 18 with 1410 viewsjas0999

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 14:25 - Nov 18 by factual_blue

Spoiler alert - they're talking rubbish and lying.

Remember - you can always tell when a tory lies. His (or her) lips move.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 14:25]

I think you will find the same applies to a large number of politicians within all parties. Labour no different. Lib Dem’s ditto.
The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 19:16 - Nov 18 with 1386 viewsBlueBadger

The Tories have just presented another riddle that I can't fathom on 13:40 - Nov 18 by J2BLUE

They've finally got something right but even then it comes across as something they've pretty much been forced into so the other parties can't use it against them.

This is basically how tories operate. No basic decency until they're forced into it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024