Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Found this interesting on climate change.... 09:25 - Sep 10 with 1179 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190905-how-localisation-can-solve-climate-chan

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 09:49 - Sep 10 with 1152 viewsGuthrum

Interesting thoughts, but the problem is that the necessities of life and goods for consumption are not produced (at economically viable cost) in the areas where they are needed. Most people now live in cities, meaning foodstuffs have to be brought from some distance to support such large concentrations of people. Even to international levels, given some nations (such as the UK) cannot produce enough to feed their populations.

Localisation will help, but also has an economic impact which makes it harder to persuade people to adopt.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 09:52 - Sep 10 with 1146 viewsDarth_Koont

I think he's largely right but missing the point with globalisation.

He himself shows how the steam revolution came about through global market forces with the cotton trade. That global market and trade also drives the development of more sustainable technologies and the cooperation and regulation that is needed on a global scale.

He's right to talk about minimising consumption, production and their impacts to attack the root problem ((and encouraging local production where possible is a part of that). But you still need trade for joined-up thinking and to ensure we're not stuck p!ssing in the wind at a local level.

Pronouns: He/Him

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 09:53 - Sep 10 with 1144 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 09:49 - Sep 10 by Guthrum

Interesting thoughts, but the problem is that the necessities of life and goods for consumption are not produced (at economically viable cost) in the areas where they are needed. Most people now live in cities, meaning foodstuffs have to be brought from some distance to support such large concentrations of people. Even to international levels, given some nations (such as the UK) cannot produce enough to feed their populations.

Localisation will help, but also has an economic impact which makes it harder to persuade people to adopt.

However the distribution of populations is related to the global economic model...change the model and the distribution will change.....become less urban. Imho.

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 10:02 - Sep 10 with 1128 viewsGuthrum

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 09:53 - Sep 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

However the distribution of populations is related to the global economic model...change the model and the distribution will change.....become less urban. Imho.

Too many people, not enough (productive) land.

The UK has about 23m acres of farmland, of which only about a third is suitable for arable. There are about 27m households in the UK, giving less than an acre each.

Plus population redistribution takes decades, if not centuries, even during major migration periods (which are far longer than most people think). It is always accompanied by major social upheaval, up to and including war.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 10:09 - Sep 10 with 1105 viewsDarth_Koont

Also: with your anti-EU view, you've aligned with those who want to de-regulate global trade and increase the risks to the planet ...

Globalisation is an inescapable fact now so we need to support organisations that are more disposed to global regulation as well as supporting regional and local economies. Not the free-wheeling capitalists and nationalists who want to exploit domestic and overseas resources for selfish gain.

Pronouns: He/Him

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 10:12 - Sep 10 with 1096 viewsStokieBlue

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 09:53 - Sep 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Urbanisation is the most efficient way to manage a large population though. If you go down your preferred route you need distributed small hospitals for instance and that's really not efficient. Not every hospital would be able to have all the equipment required.

I would also posit that population distributions are not only governed by economic parameters - geographical and climate factors also play a large part.

What would you do with the existing cities? Where would the population who have left the cities live?

Certainly some good points about localisation, nobody cannot deny that but it's not a silver bullet.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 10:43 - Sep 10 with 1060 viewsCoachRob

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 10:12 - Sep 10 by StokieBlue

Urbanisation is the most efficient way to manage a large population though. If you go down your preferred route you need distributed small hospitals for instance and that's really not efficient. Not every hospital would be able to have all the equipment required.

I would also posit that population distributions are not only governed by economic parameters - geographical and climate factors also play a large part.

What would you do with the existing cities? Where would the population who have left the cities live?

Certainly some good points about localisation, nobody cannot deny that but it's not a silver bullet.

SB

Good point this - Geoffrey West wrote a book called Scale that looked at the fractal-like dimensions of cities. He found that cities scale superlinearly which means there is increasing returns to scale - the bigger a city becomes the more efficient it is with its resources.

I agree with the OP that the fantasy that our existing economic model can deal with climate change has to be addressed at some point. Francesca Bria is one academic who is trying to use data to make cities operate in a way that would attempt to deal with the many inequalities the current system creates.
https://ajuntament.barcelona.cat/digital/sites/default/files/pla_barcelona_digit
Found this interesting on climate change.... on 10:56 - Sep 10 with 1047 viewsNthQldITFC

We generally seem look at the thing from a defensive, top-down perspective - "Here I am, and this is what I have. Now what can I do to keep hold of most of it without breaking the system. Then I can feel good about myself for a while and look good too..."

Hiding behind expectations of technological salvation - which as that article implies, are always used as money makers, consumption drivers and status quo enablers - is not enough.

Unfortunately I think its virtually impossible to expect an effective proportion of the human population to be able to selflessly face the world destroying fundamental issues of consumption-driven capitalism and excessive population, and thence to reboot our whole civilisation globally. Impossible that is, without a massive 'catastrophic' kick up the @rse from nature.

But its probably far too late.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 13:44 - Sep 10 with 983 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Just having my lunch break.....some really interesting thoughts.....cheers all for now.

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 14:14 - Sep 10 with 963 viewsjeera

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 13:44 - Sep 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Just having my lunch break.....some really interesting thoughts.....cheers all for now.

Hang on.

You're saying you post anytime but your lunch break?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

GAV, URGENT!! ATTEND TO THIS IMMEDIATELY!! on 14:16 - Sep 10 with 960 viewstractorian

Found this interesting on climate change.... on 13:44 - Sep 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

There is an intelligent discussion going on here.

No one is insulting anyone else, no one has mentioned Brexit (until now).

We don't want this sort of thing on the forum.

Take it down immediately.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024