Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Henry the 8th Powers 21:44 - Sep 12 with 1361 viewsDubtractor

I learned about these today, and how they will be used in respect of Brexit, and I feel a little concerned that they could very easily be abused. Can someone more in the know reassure me that they cannot be abused?

In a nutshell, the withdrawal bill means that all EU law simply transfers into UK law at the point we withdraw, but government are going to use the Henry the 8th powers to amend these laws as they see fit over time. What this means is that the changes to law will be given much less scrutiny by parliament, and that no amendments to these changes can be proposed - though the changes can be rejected.

The reasoning for this is allow much swifter changes to the laws that are deemed less appropriate to the UK, but my fear is that it is aimed more at the laws that we (we meaning our government) don't like.

Anyone here working in he civil service that has a better view on this?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Henry the 8th Powers on 21:45 - Sep 12 with 1345 viewsDubtractor

Also, on the subject of brexit, this does somewhat prove that Johnson and his clown show haven't actually been doing any real negotiation on a new deal doesn't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/12/michel-barnier-no-grounds-for-r
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 21:46]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Henry the 8th Powers on 22:01 - Sep 12 with 1296 viewsWeWereZombies

Certainly seems a process you would want to leave in a safe pair of hands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_(Withdrawal)_Act_2018#Henry_VIII_cl

I doubt that any reassurances will be forthcoming as it looks like the replacement laws will be quite dependent upon the Government driving the legislation and who knows what that will be at the moment.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Henry the 8th Powers on 22:15 - Sep 12 with 1272 viewsPinewoodblue

Henry the 8th Powers on 21:45 - Sep 12 by Dubtractor

Also, on the subject of brexit, this does somewhat prove that Johnson and his clown show haven't actually been doing any real negotiation on a new deal doesn't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/12/michel-barnier-no-grounds-for-r

Merkel doesn't share your pessimism.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/11/angela-merkel-stresses-danger-of-b

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Henry the 8th Powers on 23:20 - Sep 12 with 1197 viewsGuthrum

Fine if you want to dissolve the monasteries or chop you wife's head off ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Henry the 8th Powers on 00:29 - Sep 13 with 1163 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's been a massive increase the use of secondary legislation already - statutory instruments have gone through the roof in recent years. It's a good way of pushing through stuff that's likely to be unpopular I suppose, especially when you're majority is marginal.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Henry the 8th Powers on 07:49 - Sep 13 with 1060 viewsSteve_M

Absolutely. The idea that May's deal was some kind of benign compromise that everyone should just accept was ashtrays highly flawed. I don't think she cared about Brexit per se but was quite happy to use it to centralise even more power.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Henry the 8th Powers on 08:18 - Sep 13 with 1025 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Henry the 8th Powers on 07:49 - Sep 13 by Steve_M

Absolutely. The idea that May's deal was some kind of benign compromise that everyone should just accept was ashtrays highly flawed. I don't think she cared about Brexit per se but was quite happy to use it to centralise even more power.

Ashtrays?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Henry the 8th Powers on 08:25 - Sep 13 with 1014 viewsBlueBadger

So let me get this straight, all that EU legislation, which were told was A Bad Thing will somehow become a Good Thing because of some archaic old laws?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Henry the 8th Powers on 08:35 - Sep 13 with 1003 viewsGeoffSentence

Henry the 8th Powers on 21:45 - Sep 12 by Dubtractor

BoJo himself has obviously being doing sod all since he has been on our TV screens every night at pre-election photo-opportunities. It is clear where his priorities lie.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Henry the 8th Powers on 11:07 - Sep 13 with 924 viewsWeWereZombies

Henry the 8th Powers on 23:20 - Sep 12 by Guthrum

Fine if you want to dissolve the monasteries or chop you wife's head off ...

It's OK for you to make a joke of it but wait until Rachel Johnson has become Prime Minister through some sort of new hereditary linkage and imprisoned Nicola Sturgeon at Fotheringay...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024