Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... 17:13 - Sep 18 with 5478 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cynical political posturing or a gesture of national healing....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/18/caroline-lucas-lib-dems-revoke-

....discuss.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:19 - Sep 18 with 2438 viewsJ2BLUE

Brilliant way to get lots of votes without achieving power. It will give their stance leverage.

What is cynical is Swinson backing the second referendum while openly admitting she wouldn't accept the result if leave won again.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:20 - Sep 18 with 2441 viewsWeWereZombies

It strikes me as neither, Caroline Lucas suggesting that it might help their polling position seems to be a more likely concern that the Green Party will be the one to lose out as a result. It won't help heal the divisions at the moment but then again, nothing will so I see it as Jo Swinson setting out a clear position on Brexit that at least some (and perhaps now the majority) can believe in. It is bold and it probably will not work but if it does it gets us onto the board for healing the nation...but still with an immense amount of work to do. And more political engagement required of the population than at any time since the 1970s.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:28 - Sep 18 with 2421 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:19 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

Brilliant way to get lots of votes without achieving power. It will give their stance leverage.

What is cynical is Swinson backing the second referendum while openly admitting she wouldn't accept the result if leave won again.

She is backing revoking if they win a majority....I think it will backfire on them.

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:31 - Sep 18 with 2413 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:20 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

It strikes me as neither, Caroline Lucas suggesting that it might help their polling position seems to be a more likely concern that the Green Party will be the one to lose out as a result. It won't help heal the divisions at the moment but then again, nothing will so I see it as Jo Swinson setting out a clear position on Brexit that at least some (and perhaps now the majority) can believe in. It is bold and it probably will not work but if it does it gets us onto the board for healing the nation...but still with an immense amount of work to do. And more political engagement required of the population than at any time since the 1970s.

Sorry but if they scraped a majority with say 35 % share and revoke how is this going to lead to healing....it would open the gates of populist hell.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 17:32]

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:40 - Sep 18 with 2377 viewsWeWereZombies

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:31 - Sep 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Sorry but if they scraped a majority with say 35 % share and revoke how is this going to lead to healing....it would open the gates of populist hell.

I don't want to start a Project Fear vibe but how do you know that? A lot of people are just tired of Brexit, full stop.

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 18:05 - Sep 18 with 2348 viewsBasuco

I think the Green Party line is much more of a vote winner in that it respects the first vote to leave but calls a second referendum on the actual terms of the leave deal, or no deal, so rather than vote on the concept of leave or remain, we will know precisely what leave or remain will actually mean. Not £350 million a week diverted from the EU to fun the NHS and stop immigration as promised by Boris, this proved to be a great vote winner but a lie.
Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 18:20 - Sep 18 with 2316 viewsJ2BLUE

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:28 - Sep 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

She is backing revoking if they win a majority....I think it will backfire on them.

I know. I think it will win them a lot of remainer votes. Whether that translates to seats or not who knows? Even if it doesn't it will give Swinson enough ammo to suggest people want to scrap Brexit.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 18:23 - Sep 18 with 2333 viewswkj

My mum and her partner who were leave voters and are Tory lifers actually said as it stands they'll vote for Swinson as she's the only one able to give a clear outlay of what she plans to do. The following quotes are verbatum...

"That Corbyn t*sser couldn't decide which way to go down a straight corridor" and "Boris' vision for the country is to fuel his own career"

As for brexit, They are both really pi**ed off that they suspended parliament and sacked Nick Soames, because they are mortified that the domestic violence bill was so easily cast aside because of brexit. They also feel that the "scruffy haired albino child" has no vision beyond the 31st October"

Both are going to vote Lib dems on the ground Swinson is asserting a clear vision, even if it means revoking A50, as the feel we'll be focused on domestic policy again sooner rather than later by doing so.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 18:26]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 19:36 - Sep 18 with 2249 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 18:05 - Sep 18 by Basuco

I think the Green Party line is much more of a vote winner in that it respects the first vote to leave but calls a second referendum on the actual terms of the leave deal, or no deal, so rather than vote on the concept of leave or remain, we will know precisely what leave or remain will actually mean. Not £350 million a week diverted from the EU to fun the NHS and stop immigration as promised by Boris, this proved to be a great vote winner but a lie.

Much in line with the centrist Labour party...carefully placed between hard Brexit and revoke!....and we know how popular the middle ground is on the forum, it seems you have your home!

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 19:38 - Sep 18 with 2244 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 18:23 - Sep 18 by wkj

My mum and her partner who were leave voters and are Tory lifers actually said as it stands they'll vote for Swinson as she's the only one able to give a clear outlay of what she plans to do. The following quotes are verbatum...

"That Corbyn t*sser couldn't decide which way to go down a straight corridor" and "Boris' vision for the country is to fuel his own career"

As for brexit, They are both really pi**ed off that they suspended parliament and sacked Nick Soames, because they are mortified that the domestic violence bill was so easily cast aside because of brexit. They also feel that the "scruffy haired albino child" has no vision beyond the 31st October"

Both are going to vote Lib dems on the ground Swinson is asserting a clear vision, even if it means revoking A50, as the feel we'll be focused on domestic policy again sooner rather than later by doing so.

The 'oh feck'it' vote.

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:02 - Sep 18 with 2206 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 19:38 - Sep 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

The 'oh feck'it' vote.

That's what got us here in the first place.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:03 - Sep 18 with 2203 viewsSpruceMoose

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:02 - Sep 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's what got us here in the first place.

I think it was more of a 'feck them foreigners' vote to be honest.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:03 - Sep 18 with 2205 viewsGuthrum

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 17:31 - Sep 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

'Populist hell' is a place which exists more in media hype and the minds of those who write comments below Daily Telegraph articles than in reality. The UK isn't Hungary, nor is it Rust Belt America.

There will certainly be a lot of anger, harrumphing and people vowing never again to vote for whichever party they blame the most (but probably never did vote for anyway). Farage will shout loudly but get nowhere much. A few nutters may try to break things or hurt people.

I doubt we'll have a million Brexiteers marching through London. Or have TrumpUK siezing power. Or have genuine armed rebellion (not three blokes in a shed with 12-bores).

People's thirst for another Brexit campaign will be significantly blunted by the experience of the last three years. People want a quiet life and for the government to start tackling the UK's domestic problems again.

Indeed, if the LibDems have got a majority in the GE, that is the very antithesis of heading for that kind of populism.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:04 - Sep 18 with 2199 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:03 - Sep 18 by SpruceMoose

And a f*ck David Cameron vote.

If it wasn't for ISIS, we wouldn't be in all this bother.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:06 - Sep 18 with 2195 viewswkj

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:03 - Sep 18 by SpruceMoose

Quite, indecision had nothing to do with it, poisoning the minds of the lowest demoninator did

Crybaby

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:06 - Sep 18 with 2196 viewsSpruceMoose

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:03 - Sep 18 by Guthrum

'Populist hell' is a place which exists more in media hype and the minds of those who write comments below Daily Telegraph articles than in reality. The UK isn't Hungary, nor is it Rust Belt America.

There will certainly be a lot of anger, harrumphing and people vowing never again to vote for whichever party they blame the most (but probably never did vote for anyway). Farage will shout loudly but get nowhere much. A few nutters may try to break things or hurt people.

I doubt we'll have a million Brexiteers marching through London. Or have TrumpUK siezing power. Or have genuine armed rebellion (not three blokes in a shed with 12-bores).

People's thirst for another Brexit campaign will be significantly blunted by the experience of the last three years. People want a quiet life and for the government to start tackling the UK's domestic problems again.

Indeed, if the LibDems have got a majority in the GE, that is the very antithesis of heading for that kind of populism.

"People want a quiet life and for the government to start tackling the UK's domestic problems again."

This.

And it is something that a no deal Brexit will delay even further.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:09 - Sep 18 with 2184 viewswkj

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:06 - Sep 18 by SpruceMoose

"People want a quiet life and for the government to start tackling the UK's domestic problems again."

This.

And it is something that a no deal Brexit will delay even further.

Prorogation certainly did just that by wiping out a load of bills

Crybaby

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:09 - Sep 18 with 2182 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 18:05 - Sep 18 by Basuco

I haven’t been following that closely, but if that’s what the Greens are proposing it seems sensible. I wish we’d take the Greens more seriously; their type do really well on the continent.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:12 - Sep 18 with 2179 viewsPinewoodblue

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 18:23 - Sep 18 by wkj

The trouble is that "T*sser" might be part of a coalition government if the Lib dems gain 50+ seats at a general election.

In a coalition the Lib Dems would go along with an attempted renegotiation, agree to put it to the people and then vote against it. Meanwhile your mum is stuck with a government that wants to introduce policies that she doesn't agree with.

When faced with a encil on a string and a ballot paper she may find it difficult to vote LibDem.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:16 - Sep 18 with 2176 viewswkj

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:12 - Sep 18 by Pinewoodblue

The trouble is that "T*sser" might be part of a coalition government if the Lib dems gain 50+ seats at a general election.

In a coalition the Lib Dems would go along with an attempted renegotiation, agree to put it to the people and then vote against it. Meanwhile your mum is stuck with a government that wants to introduce policies that she doesn't agree with.

When faced with a encil on a string and a ballot paper she may find it difficult to vote LibDem.

Up to her really, trying to predict every permutation and make a best case judgement on it will drive even the most grounded mind crazy.

Crybaby

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:20 - Sep 18 with 2164 viewsPinewoodblue

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:16 - Sep 18 by wkj

Up to her really, trying to predict every permutation and make a best case judgement on it will drive even the most grounded mind crazy.

Suppose it will depend which party was second last time around in her constituency. If she has a Tory M, and LibDems came a poor third, she will be helping Labour to win a seat.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:22 - Sep 18 with 2165 viewswkj

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:20 - Sep 18 by Pinewoodblue

Suppose it will depend which party was second last time around in her constituency. If she has a Tory M, and LibDems came a poor third, she will be helping Labour to win a seat.

This constituency lives and bleeds Dan Poulter to an almost cult like status as he has Dr in his name, so I don't see much changing, thank god he remains on the back benches he'd be a truly awful minister.

Crybaby

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 21:04 - Sep 18 with 2101 viewsBasuco

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 19:36 - Sep 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Much in line with the centrist Labour party...carefully placed between hard Brexit and revoke!....and we know how popular the middle ground is on the forum, it seems you have your home!

Is the JC Labour really centerist? Crikey.
Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 21:15 - Sep 18 with 2086 viewsRyorry

Agree - I think the very fact of her offering just a very clear-cut, definite path and standing by a strong belief in Remain, will appeal to millions who are fed up with both a) Labour shilly-shalling about with whatever they think will gain them the most votes and b) the Tories' self interest & kindergarten antics. People want certainty, and time is running out ridiculously fast.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 21:23 - Sep 18 with 2071 viewsWeWereZombies

Lib Dem stance on article 50 revocation..... on 20:12 - Sep 18 by Pinewoodblue

Swinson has already said she will not have Corbyn or Johnson in a coalition government, whether she holds to that if they refuse to budge if a coalition negotiation takes place is more moot but she has at least set out her shop to exclude a couple of the biggest obstacles to finding a solution to this mess. And that could be another vote winner.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024