Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK 09:39 - Sep 25 with 1631 viewsSteve_M

As ever it's fairly utopian but worth a read, and some contemplation, all the same:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/25/rewilding-britains-rainfor

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:40 - Sep 25 with 1600 viewschicoazul

Monbiot is excellent a great writer and is exactly right so it's a shame he's such a Marxist. One of his main points is very simple and easy to do; don't swap stuff, just consume less.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:44 - Sep 25 with 1590 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's an opportunity in a post-Brexit world. Farmers who lose their businesses will be able to re-wild their land. We'll need 50-100+ years or so to see the benefits, and the economics of supporting farmers who loose their livelihoods would need sorting out, but the end result would be pretty cool if we could convert 10-20% of farmland back to its natural state.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:47 - Sep 25 with 1582 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:40 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

Monbiot is excellent a great writer and is exactly right so it's a shame he's such a Marxist. One of his main points is very simple and easy to do; don't swap stuff, just consume less.

Needs must maybe? Capitalism isn't doing us many favours - huge income inequality, high levels of poverty and state dependency, wrecking our environment, etc.

Maybe it's time to think a little bit differently?

(Maybe there is room for 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn.....'? )

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:58 - Sep 25 with 1566 viewschicoazul

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:47 - Sep 25 by Swansea_Blue

Needs must maybe? Capitalism isn't doing us many favours - huge income inequality, high levels of poverty and state dependency, wrecking our environment, etc.

Maybe it's time to think a little bit differently?

(Maybe there is room for 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn.....'? )

All fair comments. But it doesnt take a change from one "ism" to another "ism" for each and every one of us to decide not to buy single use plastic and make other modest changes in our lifestyles that will ultimately benefit us our children our grandchildren and our planet. This is a classic case of blaming "the system" or "the man" instead of taking personal responsibility.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:00 - Sep 25 with 1558 viewsBloomBlue

Build less houses and plant trees there instead.
Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:02 - Sep 25 with 1561 viewschicoazul

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:00 - Sep 25 by BloomBlue

This is another thing Monbiot says which is correct. There is *no* housing shortage in the UK, there are more than enough homes for everyone as we speak. Building more is insane especially on the beautiful, important, biodiverse parts of our country.

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:12 - Sep 25 with 1540 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:02 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

This is another thing Monbiot says which is correct. There is *no* housing shortage in the UK, there are more than enough homes for everyone as we speak. Building more is insane especially on the beautiful, important, biodiverse parts of our country.

Labour announced plans for the largest council house building project since the 1970's yesterday.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:14 - Sep 25 with 1533 viewsSteve_M

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:02 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

And only £7k a house in Burnley.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:34 - Sep 25 with 1517 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:00 - Sep 25 by BloomBlue

Or even better, just build treehouses.

Boom. Problem solved

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:38 - Sep 25 with 1515 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:42 - Sep 25 with 1510 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:58 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

All fair comments. But it doesnt take a change from one "ism" to another "ism" for each and every one of us to decide not to buy single use plastic and make other modest changes in our lifestyles that will ultimately benefit us our children our grandchildren and our planet. This is a classic case of blaming "the system" or "the man" instead of taking personal responsibility.

That’s true. Although Thatcherism (another ism!) has played its part in consumerism and, dare I say it, making people more selfish and fixated on money above all else. So I’d argue isms shape our behaviour to a degree. And that’s before we get into corporate responsibility.

But yeah absolutely we can do a lot ourselves, from simple choices to turning capitalism back on itself through boycotting companies than have poor environmental standards.

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:46 - Sep 25 with 1500 viewschicoazul

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:38 - Sep 25 by Dyland

Exactly right blud. Something like 80% of houses in the UK have a spare bedroom and something like 60% have 2. So there is no shortage that requires building more.

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:47 - Sep 25 with 1497 viewschicoazul

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:12 - Sep 25 by StokieBlue

Labour announced plans for the largest council house building project since the 1970's yesterday.

SB

Very disappointing.

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:50 - Sep 25 with 1494 viewsfooters

The UK Green Building Council also reckons ~75% global resource consumption is attributable to the built environment, which seems an unbelievable amount.

There's also an uncomfortable choice about being green: stop having so many fcking children.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:51 - Sep 25 with 1490 viewsDyland

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:46 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

Exactly right blud. Something like 80% of houses in the UK have a spare bedroom and something like 60% have 2. So there is no shortage that requires building more.

I only have one spare bedroom in my third house.

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:54 - Sep 25 with 1478 viewsSwansea_Blue

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:46 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

That’s a bedroom surplus, not a housing surplus

I wonder what the biggest issue is: empty homes (holiday homes and holiday rentals, second homes and overseas investor pads) or a spare bedroom in a 3 bed house occupied by a family of three? I don’t know which reduces capacity the most, but I’d argue the first scenario loses the moral argument.

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:55 - Sep 25 with 1476 viewschicoazul

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:51 - Sep 25 by Dyland

I only have one spare bedroom in my third house.

(note for the Maximum Leader's property repatriation committee; suggest any TWTD user with 2+ homes be taken out the back of the chemical shed at Sizewell and shot).

Why only TWTD members? on 11:56 - Sep 25 with 1470 viewsDyland

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:55 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

(note for the Maximum Leader's property repatriation committee; suggest any TWTD user with 2+ homes be taken out the back of the chemical shed at Sizewell and shot).

Fooking racist.

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:56 - Sep 25 with 1469 viewsfooters

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:55 - Sep 25 by chicoazul

Noted. But surprised you didn't assume that was already a given.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 1465 viewschicoazul

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:50 - Sep 25 by footers

The UK Green Building Council also reckons ~75% global resource consumption is attributable to the built environment, which seems an unbelievable amount.

There's also an uncomfortable choice about being green: stop having so many fcking children.

Not sure if that is uncomfortable really, I wish I hadnt had any.

Why only TWTD members? on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 1463 viewschicoazul

Why only TWTD members? on 11:56 - Sep 25 by Dyland

Fooking racist.

Got to start the Glorious Dawn somewhere.

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 12:00 - Sep 25 with 1458 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 11:50 - Sep 25 by footers

Various religious leaders could do quite a lot about population control.

Have you seen the predicted largest cities in 2100 and their locations? I don't see how some of those places can support those populations.

https://sites.ontariotechu.ca/sustainabilitytoday/urban-and-energy-systems/World

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 12:00 - Sep 25 with 1457 viewschicoazul

Aye. Housing crisis is not the same as housing shortage innit. (n/t) on 11:54 - Sep 25 by Swansea_Blue

That’s a bedroom surplus, not a housing surplus

I wonder what the biggest issue is: empty homes (holiday homes and holiday rentals, second homes and overseas investor pads) or a spare bedroom in a 3 bed house occupied by a family of three? I don’t know which reduces capacity the most, but I’d argue the first scenario loses the moral argument.

Well based on the stats I gave you isnt it perfectly clear?

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 12:44 - Sep 25 with 1425 viewsfactual_blue

Interesting article from Monbiot on rewilding in the UK on 10:44 - Sep 25 by Swansea_Blue

There's an opportunity in a post-Brexit world. Farmers who lose their businesses will be able to re-wild their land. We'll need 50-100+ years or so to see the benefits, and the economics of supporting farmers who loose their livelihoods would need sorting out, but the end result would be pretty cool if we could convert 10-20% of farmland back to its natural state.

Will we get milk in glass bottles though?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024