Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With Parliament moribund 14:18 - Sep 25 with 2025 viewsPinewoodblue

Is it undemocratic not to have an election.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

With Parliament moribund on 14:26 - Sep 25 with 2013 viewslowhouseblue

the answers you get will depend solely upon whether or not the person answering wants to see brexit happen.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

With Parliament moribund on 14:31 - Sep 25 with 2001 viewsitfcjoe

The timing doesn't work with the 31st October date in mind re Brexit.

In all honesty, I'll struggle to understand anyone who doesn't agree that the date should be pushed back for 3-6 months, with an election called now.

I think anyone sensible can see that this Govt can't be allowed to stay in any longer with a minus 40 majority, something needs to happen with that, and that we can't drop out off the EU in between Governments with no planning or process in place

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

With Parliament moribund on 14:32 - Sep 25 with 1995 viewsgiant_stow

the use of the word 'moribund' makes the question worthless. Its not dead, it's members *currently* disagree on a way out of Breximess.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

With Parliament moribund on 14:38 - Sep 25 with 1971 viewsOldsmoker

The Tories introduced the Fixed Term Parliament Act - FTPA in 2011.
This act was presented to Parliament and passed by Parliament.
Democracy in action.
There are specific conditions whereby an election can happen before the Fixed term of 5 years is up.
If you don't meet the conditions you don't get an election.
The Tories created the law to stop a vote of No confidence with a majority of ONE bringing them down.
It's come back to bite them on the bum.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

With Parliament moribund on 14:39 - Sep 25 with 1962 viewsPinewoodblue

With Parliament moribund on 14:32 - Sep 25 by giant_stow

the use of the word 'moribund' makes the question worthless. Its not dead, it's members *currently* disagree on a way out of Breximess.

Morimund doesn't mean dead.

2023 year of destiny

With Parliament moribund on 14:42 - Sep 25 with 1957 viewshomer_123

With Parliament moribund on 14:31 - Sep 25 by itfcjoe

The timing doesn't work with the 31st October date in mind re Brexit.

In all honesty, I'll struggle to understand anyone who doesn't agree that the date should be pushed back for 3-6 months, with an election called now.

I think anyone sensible can see that this Govt can't be allowed to stay in any longer with a minus 40 majority, something needs to happen with that, and that we can't drop out off the EU in between Governments with no planning or process in place

Firstly, I agree, the current gov is so far from working it's beyond a joke. Brexit aside, Johnson wasn't fir to be PM before he got in and he is even less so now.

However, with regards to Brexit - extending 3 to 6 months seems pointless as if there is a GE we'll likely be in exactly the same situ - hung parliament and no majority....and then forever debating Brexit and getting nowhere.

As much as I don't really like the idea of JC being PM - I do think Labours approach to Brexit is the right one.

Negotiate a deal with the EU (or not and the deal is currently as it is)
Referrendum to the Public with 2 choices, Leave with the Deal or Stay

But the referendum is binding in some way - ie. that's it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

With Parliament moribund on 14:44 - Sep 25 with 1950 viewsgiant_stow

With Parliament moribund on 14:39 - Sep 25 by Pinewoodblue

Ok, I've had a little google now and I wasn't that far off - still a bit of crap question if you'll forgive me.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

With Parliament moribund on 14:45 - Sep 25 with 1943 viewsBlueNomad

With Parliament moribund on 14:42 - Sep 25 by homer_123

Firstly, I agree, the current gov is so far from working it's beyond a joke. Brexit aside, Johnson wasn't fir to be PM before he got in and he is even less so now.

However, with regards to Brexit - extending 3 to 6 months seems pointless as if there is a GE we'll likely be in exactly the same situ - hung parliament and no majority....and then forever debating Brexit and getting nowhere.

As much as I don't really like the idea of JC being PM - I do think Labours approach to Brexit is the right one.

Negotiate a deal with the EU (or not and the deal is currently as it is)
Referrendum to the Public with 2 choices, Leave with the Deal or Stay

But the referendum is binding in some way - ie. that's it.

The referendum is not binding; Article 50 is, and can be revoked by a majority in Parliament.
Login to get fewer ads

With Parliament moribund on 14:47 - Sep 25 with 1935 viewsOldsmoker

With Parliament moribund on 14:44 - Sep 25 by giant_stow

Ok, I've had a little google now and I wasn't that far off - still a bit of crap question if you'll forgive me.

I knew what you meant Giant.
Luckily, posters on here don't have a reputation for being pedants.
Oh wait.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 14:48]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

With Parliament moribund on 14:47 - Sep 25 with 1937 viewsHerbivore

Parliament is log jammed because of Brexit. To unblock the log jam we need a legally binding referendum to resolve the Brexit question first and foremost. A GE can then take place with parties having manifestos for a post referendum UK. You can't unblock the log jam on a single issue with a GE that may well not provide a majority and that will be able to be interpreted in different ways potentially as far as Brexit is concerned.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

With Parliament moribund on 14:54 - Sep 25 with 1918 viewsgiant_stow

With Parliament moribund on 14:47 - Sep 25 by Oldsmoker

I knew what you meant Giant.
Luckily, posters on here don't have a reputation for being pedants.
Oh wait.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 14:48]

Maybe I was a little rude to the OP and deserved it, but no worries - water off a swan's back

With Parliament moribund on 15:07 - Sep 25 with 1888 viewsPinewoodblue

With Parliament moribund on 14:54 - Sep 25 by giant_stow

Maybe I was a little rude to the OP and deserved it, but no worries - water off a swan's back

Not rude at all, had I felt you had been you might have got a down arrow.

Quite liked the new word "Breximess" had you used in a different thread you might
have received an uppy.

2023 year of destiny

With Parliament moribund on 15:24 - Sep 25 with 1868 viewsgiant_stow

With Parliament moribund on 15:07 - Sep 25 by Pinewoodblue

Not rude at all, had I felt you had been you might have got a down arrow.

Quite liked the new word "Breximess" had you used in a different thread you might
have received an uppy.

Ah, I'm glad no harm done.

With Parliament moribund on 18:27 - Sep 25 with 1811 viewsKievthegreat

"being in the state of dying : approaching death"

Or

"Being in a state of inactivity or obsolescence"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moribund
(Other dictionaries available)

Parliament is neither inactive nor obsolete. It also neither in the state of dying or approaching death. I think that more applies to the current Government.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 18:28]
With Parliament moribund on 20:17 - Sep 25 with 1751 viewsKropotkin123

Correct. It doesn't mean close to death either.

Moribund on the other hand...

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

With Parliament moribund on 21:27 - Sep 25 with 1696 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So, when the democratically-elected parliament has ground to a halt the solution is to democratically elect a new one?

Presumably the same applies to a referendum where the promise that was narrowly voted for cannot be fulfilled too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024