Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SUV w@nkers... 21:56 - Oct 25 with 3793 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/oct/25/suvs-second-b

...fess up!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

SUV w@nkers... on 08:09 - Oct 26 with 3648 viewssparks

As so often with that publication- very limited information, suggesting skewed conclusions to fit an agenda.

What did it increase from? What is the impact of switching on other cars. Did it contribute to an overall increase- or are there just more people with SUVs who have sold older more damaging vehicles to buy them- leaving the net effect near nil, or even positive?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

SUV w@nkers... on 09:07 - Oct 26 with 3588 viewsStokieBlue

SUV w@nkers... on 08:09 - Oct 26 by sparks

As so often with that publication- very limited information, suggesting skewed conclusions to fit an agenda.

What did it increase from? What is the impact of switching on other cars. Did it contribute to an overall increase- or are there just more people with SUVs who have sold older more damaging vehicles to buy them- leaving the net effect near nil, or even positive?

It's not specifically related to the study which I agree is overly simplistic however there is certainly a feeling growing that SUVs are just unnecessary. For instance in German some politicians are pushing for a ban due to both safety and climate concerns.

It's the same publication:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/oct/07/a-deadly-problem-should-we-ban-su

From my perspective, I can certainly see the argument that states they just aren't needed.

SB
[Post edited 26 Oct 2019 9:07]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

SUV w@nkers... on 09:35 - Oct 26 with 3552 viewssparks

SUV w@nkers... on 09:07 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

It's not specifically related to the study which I agree is overly simplistic however there is certainly a feeling growing that SUVs are just unnecessary. For instance in German some politicians are pushing for a ban due to both safety and climate concerns.

It's the same publication:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/oct/07/a-deadly-problem-should-we-ban-su

From my perspective, I can certainly see the argument that states they just aren't needed.

SB
[Post edited 26 Oct 2019 9:07]

Try to get surfboards and luggage with 3 kids in a Mini.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

SUV w@nkers... on 09:48 - Oct 26 with 3529 viewsStokieBlue

SUV w@nkers... on 09:35 - Oct 26 by sparks

People managed just fine before they were invented. You've gone from one extreme to the other. What's wrong with an estate car for instance? What about a roof box or rack?

Your replies sound much more invested that usual. You'd normally cite people for replying like that.

SB
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 16:47]

SUV w@nkers... on 09:51 - Oct 26 with 3528 viewsfooters

How about a roofrack? Put the kids up there and tell them to hold the surfboards. Then there's space in the back for the luggage :)

Honestly, some people...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

SUV w@nkers... on 14:11 - Oct 28 with 3279 viewsipswich78

SUV w@nkers... on 09:48 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

People managed just fine before they were invented. You've gone from one extreme to the other. What's wrong with an estate car for instance? What about a roof box or rack?

Your replies sound much more invested that usual. You'd normally cite people for replying like that.

SB
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 16:47]

But on that argument people managed just fine before cars were invented...

Forget the size of vehicle look at the fuel propelling it instead. There's nothing wrong with SUVs if powered by electricity.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

SUV w@nkers... on 14:19 - Oct 28 with 3249 viewsSpruceMoose

Found the bloke with two SUVs

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

SUV w@nkers... on 14:19 - Oct 28 with 3246 viewsDanTheMan

SUV w@nkers... on 14:11 - Oct 28 by ipswich78

Forget the size of vehicle look at the fuel propelling it instead. There's nothing wrong with SUVs if powered by electricity.

We are looking at what seems to be fairly large increases across a short period of time.

Must say, I don't understand why people need enormous cars for commuting and the odd trip. I'm sure there are circumstances where people do regularly need them but I doubt it's the norm.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

SUV w@nkers... on 14:21 - Oct 28 with 3242 viewsSpruceMoose

SUV w@nkers... on 14:19 - Oct 28 by DanTheMan

We are looking at what seems to be fairly large increases across a short period of time.

Must say, I don't understand why people need enormous cars for commuting and the odd trip. I'm sure there are circumstances where people do regularly need them but I doubt it's the norm.

Indeed. That's why I do most of my commuting in one of these.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

SUV w@nkers... on 14:23 - Oct 28 with 3233 viewsjaykay

don't worry ,the birds and animals will take care of the drivers

[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 14:33]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

SUV w@nkers... on 14:26 - Oct 28 with 3220 viewsStokieBlue

SUV w@nkers... on 14:11 - Oct 28 by ipswich78

That's a false argument. People didn't manage to do exactly the same things before cars were invented - they did before SUVs were.

You've not read the link I posted.

They are trying to ban them in Germany because they are less safe than other types of vehicles for both the passengers and the other parties.

Furthermore not all cars require the same amount of electrical energy to travel the same distance so it's a bit of a red herring. A smaller electric car will require less electricity to move the same distance as an electric SUV. You are of course right if it's a choice between petrol or electric although unfortunately it doesn't look like people are buying just electric SUVs:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/17/surging-suv-demand-is-canceling-out-the-environm

"The number of SUVs on the road around the world grew from 35 million in 2010 to over 200 million last year, representing 60% of the increase in the global car fleet over the 8-year period."

SB

SUV w@nkers... on 14:26 - Oct 28 with 3224 viewsRyorry

SUV w@nkers... on 14:19 - Oct 28 by DanTheMan

Wouldn't it be lower carbon footprint to keep some oldies going, rather than scrap them and buy new?

Speaking as a driver of a 1999 Landrover Defender! Diesel, <=5K miles annually! (yes, I do have good reason for using one, and it's my only vehicle).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

SUV w@nkers... on 14:53 - Oct 28 with 3196 viewsDanTheMan

SUV w@nkers... on 14:26 - Oct 28 by Ryorry

Wouldn't it be lower carbon footprint to keep some oldies going, rather than scrap them and buy new?

Speaking as a driver of a 1999 Landrover Defender! Diesel, <=5K miles annually! (yes, I do have good reason for using one, and it's my only vehicle).

Perhaps, although it's not only emissions that are a problem, there are other health benefits as well although this is mainly in more populated areas like cities where air quality is an issue.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

SUV w@nkers... on 14:57 - Oct 28 with 3175 viewsHerbivore

SUV drivers are just the worst.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

SUV w@nkers... on 15:23 - Oct 28 with 3146 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SUV w@nkers... on 14:57 - Oct 28 by Herbivore

SUV drivers are just the worst.

Indisputably true (Ryorry!)....especially when driven too fast by yummy mummys at high speed down lanes designed for carts. And heaven forbid they should get their tyres dirty !

Edit....and as for the ones with surf boards on top.....
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 15:24]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

SUV w@nkers... on 16:18 - Oct 28 with 3099 viewsbluelagos

Raw nerve bully?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

SUV w@nkers... on 16:59 - Oct 28 with 3054 viewsSouperJim

SUV is a meaningless term. There is now a huge spectrum of crossover vehicles of every size and flavour which incorporates a larger "SUV" bodystyle, often with much smaller interior space gains (if any) than the exterior style would suggest. Most of them are chocolate fireguards.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

SUV w@nkers... on 19:30 - Oct 28 with 2991 viewsWD19

Kids aren’t needed for a start. Far too many bloody ppl in the world.
SUV w@nkers... on 19:38 - Oct 28 with 2971 viewsRyorry

SUV w@nkers... on 15:23 - Oct 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

Indisputably true (Ryorry!)....especially when driven too fast by yummy mummys at high speed down lanes designed for carts. And heaven forbid they should get their tyres dirty !

Edit....and as for the ones with surf boards on top.....
[Post edited 28 Oct 2019 15:24]

Stupid generalisation more like!

Everyone knows the label actually belongs to BMW drivers ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

SUV w@nkers... on 06:50 - Oct 29 with 2888 viewsbluelagos

SUV w@nkers... on 19:38 - Oct 28 by Ryorry

Stupid generalisation more like!

Everyone knows the label actually belongs to BMW drivers ...

Blimey, a gneralisation about road users not aimed at motorcyclists? What's happening to Twtd?

😀

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

****SUV OWNER ALERT**** (n/t) (n/t) on 08:45 - Oct 29 with 2815 viewsCotty

[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 8:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024