Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's plans for the trains. 17:03 - Dec 2 with 16794 viewsmonytowbray

✂️Cut rail fares by 33% from Jan 2020
👍Save the average commuter £1097/yr
✔️Fair fares for part-time workers
🎫Deliver a simple, London-style ticketing system nationwide
👛Free rail travel for under 16s

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/labour-rail-fares-cut-train

Backed, I think a 3rd off is fair for investment back if public owned. At the minute they charge double the cost of transporting commuters on a sh1te service to line the pockets of shareholders. Part time tickets have also needed to be a thing for far too long, as well as a simplier ticket/price structure.

I'd actually happily pay for trains knowing it was for the greater good of the nation.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:13 - Dec 2 with 6170 viewsGeoffSentence

It is great, obviously, but I'd like to know how they can do the first one.

I imagine that if they legislate to force rail providers to cut their fares by that much, it would make the job of nationalising them much easier.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:14 - Dec 2 with 6170 viewsStokieBlue

It's going to be paid for by vehicle excise duty not because it's publicly owned. Most commentators are assuming some road projects will have to be cancelled as the cost wasn't in the manifesto. That might not be a bad thing either - we need to drive less.

Fares are too high and should be reduced. It seems in January this will only apply to regulated fares (of which season tickets are one) as I assume they can't impose changes on the other fares until it's nationalised which will take longer.

Simpler ticketing and fares structure is long overdue.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:20 - Dec 2 with 6128 viewsGlasgowBlue

This isn’t an election campaign. It’s a liquidation sale.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:24 - Dec 2 with 6118 viewsMullet

It's a great idea, but they have way more pressing matters with Northern Rail. They will need to tackle that.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:28 - Dec 2 with 6096 viewsfooters

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:20 - Dec 2 by GlasgowBlue

This isn’t an election campaign. It’s a liquidation sale.

What's the Lib Dem's policy on it, gibbers? Bet you're excited about it, whatever it is :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:33 - Dec 2 with 6069 viewsDubtractor

They should have gone big on this to start with, and left the broadband nonsense on the shelf.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:34 - Dec 2 with 6069 viewsBloomBlue

But how much extra per year will it cost me in personal tax increase? I'm not really interest if my train fares will be decreased by 100 if it's going to cost me an extra 120 tax.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:37 - Dec 2 with 6052 viewsgordon

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:33 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

They should have gone big on this to start with, and left the broadband nonsense on the shelf.

yeah, this 1000 times.
Login to get fewer ads

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:46 - Dec 2 with 6006 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:34 - Dec 2 by BloomBlue

But how much extra per year will it cost me in personal tax increase? I'm not really interest if my train fares will be decreased by 100 if it's going to cost me an extra 120 tax.

If you earn under £80,000 it will cost you nothing extra in tax. If you earn above £80,000, then there will be a small increase in tax in return for making society fairer for those who can't afford it.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:07 - Dec 2 with 5942 viewshatch

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:33 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

It all coincides too conveniently with the SWR 28 day strike which kicked off today. I’m sure they have appetite for it anyway but all too convenient that one of the country’s Tory stronghold areas of the South West is having a major rail disruption and they come out with this policy.
Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:09 - Dec 2 with 5947 viewsbluejacko

Yet another off the cuff policy! Has anybody noticed That Labour are making it up as they go along.
On the day that the GMB Union (big Labour donator) goes on strike they promise to cut rail fares.
The day after a Waspie women question was asked they are going to pay for that as well! Just where are these £X billion coming from.
Talk about trying to buy an election.
And then if they lose they will admit they couldn’t have afforded it after all (tuition fees)
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 18:10]
Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:35 - Dec 2 with 5879 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Did you mean "average LONDON commuter" ?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:37 - Dec 2 with 5874 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Labour's plans for the trains. on 17:46 - Dec 2 by JeanManuelThetis

If you earn under £80,000 it will cost you nothing extra in tax. If you earn above £80,000, then there will be a small increase in tax in return for making society fairer for those who can't afford it.

People on above 80k pay a lot of tax as it stands. They should not be demonised.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:38 - Dec 2 with 5865 viewsBloomBlue

But not enough people earn over £80,000 to pay for all these ideas even someone not great with maths like me can work that out so I will end up paying more tax. I guess no one can tell me how much
Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:44 - Dec 2 with 5842 viewslowhouseblue

what i don't understand is why they would announce a new policy which isn't in the manifesto and hasn't been previously costed or funded, but which gives a group of the electorate £1,000 a year each, 10 days before the election and when they're 10 points behind in the polls? any ideas?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 18:50]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:52 - Dec 2 with 5816 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:37 - Dec 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

People on above 80k pay a lot of tax as it stands. They should not be demonised.

We will all be taxed more...........i await the plea for links etc. however, oldish bones and past experience suggests i am correct in my assumption.

It is how all these proposals will be paid for.

Hopefully, these taxes wont penalise us working men and ladies too severely.

We will see.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:53 - Dec 2 with 5810 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:44 - Dec 2 by lowhouseblue

what i don't understand is why they would announce a new policy which isn't in the manifesto and hasn't been previously costed or funded, but which gives a group of the electorate £1,000 a year each, 10 days before the election and when they're 10 points behind in the polls? any ideas?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 18:50]

Doesn’t make it a bad idea.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:55 - Dec 2 with 5795 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:53 - Dec 2 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Doesn’t make it a bad idea.

but why wasn't is also a good idea when they published the manifesto? what's changed in the last week?

and actually using public ownership as a mechanism to bribe people is a really really bad idea.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:58 - Dec 2 with 5766 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Asking them pay an additional £250 a year is hardly demonising them.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:04 - Dec 2 with 5739 viewsghostofescobar

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:09 - Dec 2 by bluejacko

Yet another off the cuff policy! Has anybody noticed That Labour are making it up as they go along.
On the day that the GMB Union (big Labour donator) goes on strike they promise to cut rail fares.
The day after a Waspie women question was asked they are going to pay for that as well! Just where are these £X billion coming from.
Talk about trying to buy an election.
And then if they lose they will admit they couldn’t have afforded it after all (tuition fees)
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 18:10]

Definitely better to have feck all policy substance, like the Tories. Much better way to run a country. Oh hang on, they are going to “Get Brexit Done”. Better to lie up front rather than as they go along.

GhostOfEscobar

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:05 - Dec 2 with 5734 viewsbluejacko

Labour's plans for the trains. on 18:58 - Dec 2 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Asking them pay an additional £250 a year is hardly demonising them.

So it’s all right for pensioners who are getting over £20k through their hard work and savings to pay an extra £240 I’m sure they won’t miss it will they?
Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:05 - Dec 2 with 5727 viewsPinewoodblue

I don't undertzand the thinking behind this proposal.

It should be a vote winner saving a third on a season ticket however it seems the money will come from savings on other form of transport no doubt with the intention of persuading more people to switch to rail.

If there is one thing that Annoys commuters more than the cost it is the over crowded commuter trains.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour's plans for the trains. (n/t) on 19:09 - Dec 2 with 5692 viewsDubtractor

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:05 - Dec 2 by Pinewoodblue

I don't undertzand the thinking behind this proposal.

It should be a vote winner saving a third on a season ticket however it seems the money will come from savings on other form of transport no doubt with the intention of persuading more people to switch to rail.

If there is one thing that Annoys commuters more than the cost it is the over crowded commuter trains.

I heard they were going to make them all double decker.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 19:09]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:14 - Dec 2 with 5658 viewsStokieBlue

Not to be a pedant but this isn't correct.

This is outside the manifesto spending which is what you are referring to.

This will be directly paid for by vehicle excise duty, Labour said so today when they announced it. Well, 1.5bn from that and alledgedly 2.5bn from extra people using the trains.

I like the policy in general but it's entirely right to point out it's yet more spending, not in the manifesto, paid for by an unknown quantity of new passengers and less road expenditure.

It can be a good policy and also be subject to financial scrutiny.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour's plans for the trains. on 19:14 - Dec 2 with 5653 viewsBlueBoots

Under Labour's new proposals for income tax, people right at the top end of the new tax band (£125,000pa) will have to pay an extra £43pw. Someone on £85,000pa would be paying an extra £4.80pw - FFS that's barely the price of a pint.

IMHO, anyone earning that much that objects to the cost of a pint per week to help sort out the struggling NHS, Policing and Education is a selfish c-unit and can do one...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024