Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris a born winner? 07:56 - Dec 13 with 1175 viewsBloomBlue

Went he stood for the mayor of London they said he was crazy he would never turn red London blue, not only did it once he did it twice.

When he supported the leave campaign they said he was crazy it was never going to win, he/it did

When he finally got to leader of the Conservatives/PM he was told he was crazy the EU would never change the agreement and even if they did he wouldn't get it through the HoC, they did/he did.

Momentum/Labour were delighted he became the Conservative leader instead of someone like Rory Stewart because they thought the buffoon would be easy to beat in a GE. Yesterday not only did that buffoon win the GE with a massive majority he turned some Labour seats blue which have never ever been blue.

Not sure if he's just lucky or something else but you write off Boris at your peril
Boris a born winner? on 08:11 - Dec 13 with 1143 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That all shows how utterly naive momentum / Labour were.

Amazing really.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Boris a born winner? on 08:21 - Dec 13 with 1127 viewsChrisd

Labour have really missed a trick in this GE. The Conservatives in a degree of disorder and unrest, but incredibly JC has managed to put Labour in an even weaker position prior to Brexit. As a leader, that's quite an amazing achievement.

To be honest, Brexit undoubtedly played a role in people's thinking and voting strategy, however the fact that Boris wasn't really up against any opposition leader with any substance and credibility was equally as pivotal.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Boris a born winner? on 08:52 - Dec 13 with 1108 viewsBloomBlue

Boris a born winner? on 08:21 - Dec 13 by Chrisd

Labour have really missed a trick in this GE. The Conservatives in a degree of disorder and unrest, but incredibly JC has managed to put Labour in an even weaker position prior to Brexit. As a leader, that's quite an amazing achievement.

To be honest, Brexit undoubtedly played a role in people's thinking and voting strategy, however the fact that Boris wasn't really up against any opposition leader with any substance and credibility was equally as pivotal.

True and maybe it's pure luck as in the initial mayor campaign Livingstone had destroyed the Labour support
Boris a born winner? on 08:59 - Dec 13 with 1099 viewsbaxterbasics

He does seem to have some sort of magic touch.

He's not the right-wing loon that opponents tried to lazily portray him as, and I think many voters had the sense to see through that.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Boris a born winner? on 12:25 - Dec 13 with 1059 viewsLord_Lucan

Boris a born winner? on 08:59 - Dec 13 by baxterbasics

He's not the right-wing loon that opponents tried to lazily portray him as, and I think many voters had the sense to see through that.

I said years ago that Boris would be PM and everyone laughed.

Well they aren't laughing now!

Boris isn't as daft as some people would like to think.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Boris a born winner? on 12:35 - Dec 13 with 1048 viewsClapham_Junction

I don't think the first point about London is true - it's a mix of heavily Labour inner boroughs and some heavily Tory outer boroughs. The below is worth reading:

https://londonist.com/2015/03/centre-for-london-asks-is-london-really-a-labour-c
Boris a born winner? on 12:52 - Dec 13 with 1027 viewsSwansea_Blue

Boris a born winner? on 08:59 - Dec 13 by baxterbasics

Isn't it a mistake to try and class him as left or right (of the Tory party). He's a disruptive populist who doesn't sit squarely anywhere in the party. He can be a thoroughly nasty right wing, racist, xenophobic dog whistler when he needs to be. He can nurture relationships and cosy up to alt-right/neo-nazi types when it suits too (Bannon, Orbán). And he will also be enthusiastically chasing free market international policies in post-Brexit Britain.

There's a reason people like Tommy Robinson endorse him.

But then he was also in favour of large state projects when he was Mayor and played the more liberal politician role before this more recent rise in populism.

Populism has disrupted much of what we've historically thought the Tories stood for, much as brexit has disrupted British politics in general. Possibly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Boris a born winner? on 12:55 - Dec 13 with 1015 viewsclive_baker

Boris a born winner? on 12:25 - Dec 13 by Lord_Lucan

I said years ago that Boris would be PM and everyone laughed.

Well they aren't laughing now!

Boris isn't as daft as some people would like to think.

"People laughed when I told them I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they aren't laughing now"

RIP Bob Monkhouse. Legend.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Boris a born winner? on 12:58 - Dec 13 with 1011 viewshampstead_blue

Boris a born winner? on 08:11 - Dec 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

That all shows how utterly naive momentum / Labour were.

Amazing really.

BJ is a very clever operator. He's not the buffoon he plays to.

Hopefully he will get some very bright and centrist advisers around him and invest for those who really need it.
He's been given the gift of a lifetime. Nobody could have dared predict the result. He's a clear run for 5 years to steal more and more Labour voters.
He just needs to get Universal Credit, social care, disability assessments and much more sorted.

Momentum refused to accept that JC/JM's choices of friend's were a liability. D'Nile in spades/too much Kool Aid.

They just threw silly money at the wall hoping it would stick.

Margaret Hodge nailed it this morning.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Boris a born winner? on 13:24 - Dec 13 with 978 viewsSouperJim

Boris a born winner? on 12:58 - Dec 13 by hampstead_blue

BJ is a very clever operator. He's not the buffoon he plays to.

Hopefully he will get some very bright and centrist advisers around him and invest for those who really need it.
He's been given the gift of a lifetime. Nobody could have dared predict the result. He's a clear run for 5 years to steal more and more Labour voters.
He just needs to get Universal Credit, social care, disability assessments and much more sorted.

Momentum refused to accept that JC/JM's choices of friend's were a liability. D'Nile in spades/too much Kool Aid.

They just threw silly money at the wall hoping it would stick.

Margaret Hodge nailed it this morning.

Given how poorly things went for Labour last night, I don't think there are many more of their voters left to pinch.

Boris has got some incredibly tricky ground to cover in the next 5 years. Placating the millions of voters who currently believe he will "get brexit done" within the next 5 weeks for a start.

There is a very strong possibility that this next parliament will oversee a period of instability and economic challenges the likes of which this country hasn't seen since WW2. Even the most optimistic Tory must wonder if, given the challenges ahead, they can do well enough to hold on to their current dominance for long.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Boris a born winner? on 13:45 - Dec 13 with 941 viewsHarry_Palmer

A 'born winner' what does that even mean? He was certainly born into privilege which has afforded him an opportunity to gain money and power as well as developing a total distain for those less fortunate than himself. if that's your barometer for 'winning' then yes I suppose he is.

He has also proven beyond any doubt that he is a nasty, dishonest, morally bankrupt, cheating, selfish, racist arsehole, and if that's what it takes to become a 'winner' in this life then I will happily remain a 'loser' that gives a sh1t about other people.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 14:19]
Boris a born winner? on 15:43 - Dec 13 with 893 viewsjontysnut

it might have been different if he'd been up against anyone else and didn't have the support of the majority of the press. Even William Hague would have made a go of it. First day of his new government and NHS performance stats are the worst in history ( ie worse than last month). Perhaps he could bring some his genius or lucky touch to sorting those out.
Boris a born winner? on 15:49 - Dec 13 with 883 viewsHerbivore

He's certainty born to privilege. He's also a journalist and knows how to work the media better than any politician in recent times.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Boris a born winner? on 15:59 - Dec 13 with 867 viewsflimflam

It was a perfect storm for BJ to win last night.

JC is an absolute clown and managed to lose 100,000s Labour votes for no other reason than people dislike him and his policies.
Brexit was another aspect in BJ favour.
Also Brexit Party standing down in in Tory seats helped massively.

Plus I lost count of how many seats Tories won where the Brexit Party took enough of the vote to allow this to happen narrowly beating Labour or Libs.
If the Libs and Labour had worked together then they could of avoided a lot of the disaster last night.

But BJ now has to keep the masses on board and make them vote blue next time which may be a harder job to do than last night.

He could go on to be a fantastic PM or might be a disaster. Guess we have to wait and see.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2019 16:00]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024