Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tories drop Islamphobia inquiry 17:22 - Dec 18 with 2045 viewstractordownsouth

I suppose the results would have been a bit awkward for Mr Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/17/equalities-professor-to-head-to
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 18:11]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 17:34 - Dec 18 with 1437 viewsGlasgowBlue

There is absolutely no excuse to drop this pledge . If the Tories. Any sort this out with an independent inquiry now then in two or three years time they will find themselves under a similar investigatupion as Labour are by the EHRC.

No more excuses. Hold an inquiry.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 17:36 - Dec 18 with 1434 viewsm14_blue

Fake news.

There is no way Boris would break a promise to the British people.
Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 17:48 - Dec 18 with 1409 viewsbaxterbasics

They haven't dropped it, they've expanded the scope to include all discrimination. Not sure what the problem is with that.

As for Boris himself, as a liberal defender of a womens rights to wear the traditional garb, he should have nothing to fear.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 17:52 - Dec 18 with 1401 viewsBent_double

First of many u-turns and broken promises to look forward to in the coming months.

I wonder how many of the new Tory MPs will resign or move party over the life of this parliament?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:02 - Dec 18 with 1368 viewsBlueBadger

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 17:48 - Dec 18 by baxterbasics

They haven't dropped it, they've expanded the scope to include all discrimination. Not sure what the problem is with that.

As for Boris himself, as a liberal defender of a womens rights to wear the traditional garb, he should have nothing to fear.

You said that with a straight face, didn't you?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:08 - Dec 18 with 1356 viewsm14_blue

😂😂😂
Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:08 - Dec 18 with 1355 viewstractordownsouth

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 17:52 - Dec 18 by Bent_double

First of many u-turns and broken promises to look forward to in the coming months.

I wonder how many of the new Tory MPs will resign or move party over the life of this parliament?

Probably none - all the moderates were purged in September and they've all signed up to the Brexit deal.

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:09 - Dec 18 with 1355 viewseireblue

Hmmm, I see what you are saying, it is simply an acknowledgement that yes, they do indeed have a problem with Islamaphobia, but they are not entirely sure how bad it is compared to all the other prejudices so they probably need to find out how bad all the rest are as well.

Got it.
Login to get fewer ads

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:11 - Dec 18 with 1349 viewstractordownsouth

Islamophobia is clearly the biggest form of discrimination that they have problems with and needs a separate inquiry. By all means, it's a good idea to have an inquiry for all discrimination alongside that, but I can't help thinking that it's all being bundled in together to spare their blushes.

As for your second point, it's fine to believe that women shouldn't wear the full face veil, nothing wrong with that. What you don't do though is compare them to criminals, which lead to a spike in Anti- Muslim hate crime.

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:26 - Dec 18 with 1305 viewsGlasgowBlue

With all due respect that is a cop out on the scale of Corbyn when challenged specifically about antisemitism and replying that he is against "all kinds of racism". The Tories have a 'specific' problem in their membership with Islamophobia. It has to be dealt with seriously and independently if they don't wan't to go down the same path Labour has with antisemitism.

Where the Tories issues differ from that of Labour is there is no evidence that the structure of the Tory party from branch level to national executive, and it's process for dealing with Islamophobes, is deliberately engaged in covering up anti muslim discrimination.

However, dropping an Islamophobia inquiry may suggest that this is not the case. They need to get on with it and detoxify.

Iron Lion Zion

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:42 - Dec 18 with 1280 viewsLord_Lucan

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:02 - Dec 18 by BlueBadger

You said that with a straight face, didn't you?

You quite obviously have never read further than the mini quotes in sensationalist media outlets so I'll do you the favour of pasting it for you.

"So I was a bit surprised to see that on August 1 the Danes joined several other European countries — France, Germany, Austria, Belgium — in imposing a ban on the niqab and the burka — those items of Muslim headgear that obscure the female face. Already, a fine of 1,000 krone — about £120 — has been imposed on a 28-year-old woman seen wearing a niqab in a shopping centre in the north-eastern town of Horsholm. A scuffle broke out as someone tried to rip it off her head. There have been demonstrations, on both sides of the argument. What has happened, you may ask, to the Danish spirit of live and let live?

If you tell me that the burka is oppressive, then I am with you. If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree — and I would add that I can find no scriptural authority for the practice in the Koran. I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes; and I thoroughly dislike any attempt by any — invariably male — government to encourage such demonstrations of “modesty”, notably the extraordinary exhortations of President Ramzan Kadyrov of Chechnya, who has told the men of his country to splat their women with paintballs if they fail to cover their heads.

If a constituent came to my MP’s surgery with her face obscured, I should feel fully entitled — like Jack Straw — to ask her to remove it so that I could talk to her properly. If a female student turned up at school or at a university lecture looking like a bank robber then ditto: those in authority should be allowed to converse openly with those that they are being asked to instruct. As for individual businesses or branches of government — they should of course be able to enforce a dress code that enables their employees to interact with customers; and that means human beings must be able to see each other’s faces and read their expressions. It’s how we work.

All that seems to me to be sensible, But such restrictions are not quite the same as telling a free-born adult woman what she may or may not wear, in a public place, when she is simply minding her own business.

I am against a total ban because it is inevitably construed — rightly or wrongly — as being intended to make some point about Islam. If you go for a total ban, you play into the hands of those who want to politicise and dramatise the so-called clash of civilisations; and you fan the flames of grievance. You risk turning people into martyrs, and you risk a general crackdown on any public symbols of religious affiliation; and you may simply make the problem worse. Like a parent confronted by a rebellious teenager, determined to wear a spike through her tongue or a bolt through her nose, you run the risk that by a heavy-handed attempt to ban what you see as a bizarre and unattractive adornment you simply stiffen resistance.

The burka and the niqab were certainly not always part of Islam. In Britain today there is only a tiny, tiny minority of women who wear these odd bits of headgear. One day, I am sure, they will go.

The Danes swim starkers in the heart of Copenhagen. If The Killing is to be believed, their female detectives wear Faroe sweaters on duty, as is their sovereign right. If Danish women really want to cover their faces, then it seems a bit extreme — all the caveats above understood — to stop them under all circumstances. I don’t propose we follow suit. A total ban is not the answer"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry (n/t) on 18:50 - Dec 18 with 1255 viewstractordownsouth

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:42 - Dec 18 by Lord_Lucan

You quite obviously have never read further than the mini quotes in sensationalist media outlets so I'll do you the favour of pasting it for you.

"So I was a bit surprised to see that on August 1 the Danes joined several other European countries — France, Germany, Austria, Belgium — in imposing a ban on the niqab and the burka — those items of Muslim headgear that obscure the female face. Already, a fine of 1,000 krone — about £120 — has been imposed on a 28-year-old woman seen wearing a niqab in a shopping centre in the north-eastern town of Horsholm. A scuffle broke out as someone tried to rip it off her head. There have been demonstrations, on both sides of the argument. What has happened, you may ask, to the Danish spirit of live and let live?

If you tell me that the burka is oppressive, then I am with you. If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree — and I would add that I can find no scriptural authority for the practice in the Koran. I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes; and I thoroughly dislike any attempt by any — invariably male — government to encourage such demonstrations of “modesty”, notably the extraordinary exhortations of President Ramzan Kadyrov of Chechnya, who has told the men of his country to splat their women with paintballs if they fail to cover their heads.

If a constituent came to my MP’s surgery with her face obscured, I should feel fully entitled — like Jack Straw — to ask her to remove it so that I could talk to her properly. If a female student turned up at school or at a university lecture looking like a bank robber then ditto: those in authority should be allowed to converse openly with those that they are being asked to instruct. As for individual businesses or branches of government — they should of course be able to enforce a dress code that enables their employees to interact with customers; and that means human beings must be able to see each other’s faces and read their expressions. It’s how we work.

All that seems to me to be sensible, But such restrictions are not quite the same as telling a free-born adult woman what she may or may not wear, in a public place, when she is simply minding her own business.

I am against a total ban because it is inevitably construed — rightly or wrongly — as being intended to make some point about Islam. If you go for a total ban, you play into the hands of those who want to politicise and dramatise the so-called clash of civilisations; and you fan the flames of grievance. You risk turning people into martyrs, and you risk a general crackdown on any public symbols of religious affiliation; and you may simply make the problem worse. Like a parent confronted by a rebellious teenager, determined to wear a spike through her tongue or a bolt through her nose, you run the risk that by a heavy-handed attempt to ban what you see as a bizarre and unattractive adornment you simply stiffen resistance.

The burka and the niqab were certainly not always part of Islam. In Britain today there is only a tiny, tiny minority of women who wear these odd bits of headgear. One day, I am sure, they will go.

The Danes swim starkers in the heart of Copenhagen. If The Killing is to be believed, their female detectives wear Faroe sweaters on duty, as is their sovereign right. If Danish women really want to cover their faces, then it seems a bit extreme — all the caveats above understood — to stop them under all circumstances. I don’t propose we follow suit. A total ban is not the answer"

[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 19:51]

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 18:55 - Dec 18 with 1241 viewsm14_blue

See now, I agree with pretty much all of that but don’t see how it means the Tories don’t have a problem with Islamophobia, or that BB has misunderstood anything?

Boris’s comments were pure dog-whistling, I doubt he’s actually Islamophobic on a personal level but there’s no question the Tories as a whole have a huge problem.
Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:00 - Dec 18 with 1230 viewsLord_Lucan

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry (n/t) on 18:50 - Dec 18 by tractordownsouth

I didn't describe it as anything. It's probably the first time you have read the article I would wager, you just like to lap up things you want to believe, like so many other unfortunates.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:01 - Dec 18 with 1223 viewsGlasgowBlue

As I said at the time, it was typical of Boris. He made some very reasonable points in the article, and in fact defends the right of women to wear the Burka, but then goes and ruins it by making crass jokes that end up having real life consequences for people who do wear that particular garment.

Iron Lion Zion

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry (n/t) on 19:06 - Dec 18 with 1204 viewstractordownsouth

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:00 - Dec 18 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't describe it as anything. It's probably the first time you have read the article I would wager, you just like to lap up things you want to believe, like so many other unfortunates.

Tories drop Islamphobia inquiry on 19:08 - Dec 18 with 1199 viewsEwan_Oozami

Really? I haven't seen any indication of it being published anywhere?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:13 - Dec 18 with 1188 viewsLord_Lucan

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry (n/t) on 19:06 - Dec 18 by tractordownsouth

I said nothing, only the first couple of lines dear boy.

The rest is part of the original article that you claimed you read recently!!!!
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 19:15]

Tories drop Islamphobia inquiry on 19:19 - Dec 18 with 1157 viewsHARRY10

Tories drop Islamphobia inquiry on 19:08 - Dec 18 by Ewan_Oozami

Really? I haven't seen any indication of it being published anywhere?

https://www.boris-johnson.org.uk/news/denmark-has-got-it-wrong-yes-burka-oppress
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 19:20]
Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:20 - Dec 18 with 1150 viewstractordownsouth

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:13 - Dec 18 by Lord_Lucan

I said nothing, only the first couple of lines dear boy.

The rest is part of the original article that you claimed you read recently!!!!
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 19:15]

I'm confused, the bankrobbers bit is in the article, is it not?

Tories drop Islamphobia inquiry on 19:22 - Dec 18 with 1142 viewstractordownsouth

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-far-right-extremist

Something tells me this won't do much to help them get rid of Islamophobia

Tories drop Islamphobia inquiry on 19:24 - Dec 18 with 1141 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What we really need is a series of definitions along with spurious examples of what Islamophobia is drafted under the influence of say Iran!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Tories drop Islamphobia inquiry on 19:33 - Dec 18 with 1125 viewsBloomBlue

But they haven't dropped it they've extended it, unlike the Labour party and it's institutional anti-Semitism.

It's really sad the whole GE, if Corbyn had only accepted Lanour has a party wide problem with anti-Semitism and apologised for it on the Andrew Neil interview things could have been so different, but no he and his supporters stuck their heads in the sand and let momentum brainwash them.
Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:47 - Dec 18 with 1108 viewsLord_Lucan

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:20 - Dec 18 by tractordownsouth

I'm confused, the bankrobbers bit is in the article, is it not?

TBDS to LL - "You said " all that seems to me to be sensible"

I did't say it, Boris said it. The only words were my two lines at the top.

You didn't read it recently at all otherwise you would have known that.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 19:50]

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:49 - Dec 18 with 1103 viewstractordownsouth

Tories drop Islamphobia enquiry on 19:47 - Dec 18 by Lord_Lucan

TBDS to LL - "You said " all that seems to me to be sensible"

I did't say it, Boris said it. The only words were my two lines at the top.

You didn't read it recently at all otherwise you would have known that.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 19:50]

Oh, apologies. I'm an idiot. Can someone undo my downvote?

I've removed the text from my replies to you! Again, sorry for the mistake.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 19:53]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024