Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To be fair to Lambert.... he inherited a weird squad 23:03 - Jan 2 with 973 viewsunstableblue

We had a long term full back issue, which he fixed well with KVY and to some extent Garbutt (albeit Garbutt is more a midfielder, and now someone we need to sign as so dependent on him). Donacien is a back up defensive right back. But not a game changer.

Then a mixed bag of centre mids, a fading Chambo, and a woeful Nsiala. And a brilliant prospect in The Wolf. Wilson was a good cheap buy who is so much more reliable than Chambo and Toto. But perhaps not a long term option.

Out wide we are struggling. With Rowe injured on top of lankester, we have to play a weak edwards and judge out wide. Great prospects in dobra and el Mizouni but they’re young.

Now it gets weird - centre mid!!! I think because Huws, bishop and dozzell were injured we’ve now ended with a log jam. We’ve also got judge, skuse, downes and Nolan. All these players have a case for starting. And I think this is why Lambert is talking rotation and squad resting so much - how does he keep that lot happy?!!

We then have Norwood, Sears, Keane and Jackson and a fringe Roberts.

That smacks of a midfield diamond, to try and keep our central midfield jewels happy. Also time to drop skuse, not enough forward drive.

But you know it means the likes of judge, Bishop, Huws and Dozzell are often benched. And we’re scrabbling for defenders and width.

So whilst I share the massive concerns on Lamberts tactics and rotation; perhaps this squad is not helping?

Time to cash in on a centre mid???

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

...emphasising the point, Mick Mills view on 11:16 - Jan 3 with 631 viewsunstableblue

Reading this extract from the Huws TWTD interview:

He feels he needs a run of matches to get back to the top of his game: “Yes, I think that’s expected, so that’s why I said I have to lower expectations because coming in and out is tough, I’m not going to lie.

“But we’re a big team, we’ve got a big squad, we should be back to where we were at the start of the season, just by working hard like we were and not getting complacent. It’s not panic stations, it’s not what it seems after conceding five [at Lincoln]."

Asked if it has been a case of the management holding him back for his longer term good, he reflected: “I think there was a bit of that at the start of the season but I’m not injured anymore, so that’s dead and gone, I need to perform consistently to get in the team and stay in the team, and we need to win games, simple as that.”

As I stated there is a imbalance in the squad, with not enough width, right sided full backs and almost too many options centre mid. You can see Lamberts chopping and changing of system to accommodate the centre mids is frustrating the like of Huws, who needs a run.

We need to settle on a four after Exeter and given them a run. I’d played:
––––-Downes
Bishop–––––Huws
–––––-Judge

And give them a run. And as Mick states, then only when they under perform bring in Nolan or Dozzell. Players are not being rewarded or punished for mediocre performances.

Come on Paul, sort it.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 11:16]

...emphasising the point, Mick Mills view on 11:32 - Jan 3 with 591 viewsNthsuffolkblue

...emphasising the point, Mick Mills view on 11:16 - Jan 3 by unstableblue

Reading this extract from the Huws TWTD interview:

He feels he needs a run of matches to get back to the top of his game: “Yes, I think that’s expected, so that’s why I said I have to lower expectations because coming in and out is tough, I’m not going to lie.

“But we’re a big team, we’ve got a big squad, we should be back to where we were at the start of the season, just by working hard like we were and not getting complacent. It’s not panic stations, it’s not what it seems after conceding five [at Lincoln]."

Asked if it has been a case of the management holding him back for his longer term good, he reflected: “I think there was a bit of that at the start of the season but I’m not injured anymore, so that’s dead and gone, I need to perform consistently to get in the team and stay in the team, and we need to win games, simple as that.”

As I stated there is a imbalance in the squad, with not enough width, right sided full backs and almost too many options centre mid. You can see Lamberts chopping and changing of system to accommodate the centre mids is frustrating the like of Huws, who needs a run.

We need to settle on a four after Exeter and given them a run. I’d played:
––––-Downes
Bishop–––––Huws
–––––-Judge

And give them a run. And as Mick states, then only when they under perform bring in Nolan or Dozzell. Players are not being rewarded or punished for mediocre performances.

Come on Paul, sort it.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 11:16]

Ultimately he needs to get some cover in for KVY and someone at LB and then he needs to decide who is likely to be the best combination in midfield and go mainly with them and use the others as options for changing and cover for unavailability. All this chop and change every game is not working.

The problem is identifying who the best combination is likely to be and that is part of what training matches should be about.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

...emphasising the point, Mick Mills view on 11:48 - Jan 3 with 561 viewsunstableblue

...emphasising the point, Mick Mills view on 11:32 - Jan 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ultimately he needs to get some cover in for KVY and someone at LB and then he needs to decide who is likely to be the best combination in midfield and go mainly with them and use the others as options for changing and cover for unavailability. All this chop and change every game is not working.

The problem is identifying who the best combination is likely to be and that is part of what training matches should be about.

Agree the left back issue needs resolving, I have a bad feeling the KVY injury is going to drag on.

He needs to play Downes every week. And I think judge has shown enough improvement in recent weeks to warrant a start. Huws was better at Wycombe than Nolan was in recent losses, so give him a run. Bishop has the Exeter game to build fitness, as he gives the running between the line we desperately need. Probably a bit early perhaps, but we need some dynamism in the midfield, which Nolan shows only in flashes.

But again as Mills states, settle on something and tinker when someone genuinely needs a rest or is not performing.

A settled midfield with some forward drive may start producing AND scoring goals.

Accrington has to be a win, no more excuses.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024