Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that was an interesting night! 08:49 - Jan 15 with 3477 viewsitfcjoe

Hard to judge the performance as the conditions were so, so bad but think we were good value for the point - huffed and puffed a bit but kept trying to get into the perfect crossing or shooting position rather than just flinging balls into the box or at the goal which was a bit frustrating.

Oxford looked a decent side on the ball, but think we more than matched them and that goes down as a good point in my eyes - in those conditions literally anything could've happened and think both sides would've taken a point at any point in the game.

Delay in game did actually help things, and so glad it didn't get called off - would have been hugely frustrating for all concerned - meant a late night though as got in about 01:20 - but 45 minutes of that was sat in the car park which wasn't ideal. ground a bit soulless and that lack of an end stand is ridiculous and was a big issue as to why conditions were so bad being the West stand.

Glad I went, another ground ticked off and a decent enough performance - settled team and something to build on again - a shame Jackson wasn't fit as he'd have caused all sorts of problems.

Tranmere looks in massive doubt currently, which is a shame

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:03 - Jan 15 with 2768 viewsHerbivore

Thought Jackson was a big miss last night, we definitely lacked threat without him. Couldn't really see us scoring. We competed well, take the point and move on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:10 - Jan 15 with 2739 viewsportmanking

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:03 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Thought Jackson was a big miss last night, we definitely lacked threat without him. Couldn't really see us scoring. We competed well, take the point and move on.

Lolz. Unreal.
Well that was an interesting night! on 09:12 - Jan 15 with 2725 viewsHerbivore

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:10 - Jan 15 by portmanking

Lolz. Unreal.

Great contribution. Your best of the morning.

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:13 - Jan 15 with 2717 viewsportmanking

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:12 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Great contribution. Your best of the morning.

It's fine, you take my soundbites that you disagreed with earlier, and move on.
Well that was an interesting night! on 09:19 - Jan 15 with 2679 viewsKeaneish

I thought Norwood looked dangerous on the break. Three times he got away from his man. One was a clear tug and a penalty, the other he put in the net but was deemed offside, which looked tight and the other was a 50:50 with the keeper. It wasn't elegant but it was effective in those conditions.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:23 - Jan 15 with 2666 viewsHerbivore

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:19 - Jan 15 by Keaneish

I thought Norwood looked dangerous on the break. Three times he got away from his man. One was a clear tug and a penalty, the other he put in the net but was deemed offside, which looked tight and the other was a 50:50 with the keeper. It wasn't elegant but it was effective in those conditions.

He was a mile off for the one he put away, it wasn't even close. He did get caught offside a lot last night and I wasn't impressed with him overall. He should have had a pen though, agreed. I think Jackson would have offered us more. Their CBs didn't look comfortable under pressure and he presses well, his pace in behind would have caused them big problems.

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:24 - Jan 15 with 2663 viewsBiGDonnie

I was happy for Keane to get the nod, but Jackson would have thrived in those conditions last night.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:34 - Jan 15 with 2619 viewsGuthrum

But, on the other hand, Keane works and battles extremely hard for the ball. Unfortunately, last night that often meant he was backed into defenders and facing the wrong way to shoot, there were several shots by others blocked and ricocheting balls just wouldn't seem to fall favourably for us most of the time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:36 - Jan 15 with 2600 viewsHerbivore

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:34 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

But, on the other hand, Keane works and battles extremely hard for the ball. Unfortunately, last night that often meant he was backed into defenders and facing the wrong way to shoot, there were several shots by others blocked and ricocheting balls just wouldn't seem to fall favourably for us most of the time.

I didn't think Keane was all that effective last night to be honest. He put himself about but ended up giving away a lot of freekicks. Often he and Norwood were too far apart and isolated from the midfield. Jackson is crucial for us at the moment imo, he is a constant threat and creates chances.

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:42 - Jan 15 with 2566 viewsKeaneish

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:36 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

I didn't think Keane was all that effective last night to be honest. He put himself about but ended up giving away a lot of freekicks. Often he and Norwood were too far apart and isolated from the midfield. Jackson is crucial for us at the moment imo, he is a constant threat and creates chances.

Agreed on Jackson - it would have been a good game for him last night. The difference between Keane and Norwood's link up compared to Jackson and Norwood's is plain to see. So many occasions Norwood touched a ball on and Keane was too narrow, static or had peeled off at the wrong time and vice versa. These are evident differences between a pair of strikers who have started a lot together and strikers who haven't.

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:45 - Jan 15 with 2542 viewsGuthrum

Not knocking Jackson, who I think has been excellent (if, perhaps, a little reluctant to just shoot on occasion).

Keane gave away some FKs, but he also won a lot of ball. The problem is he needs someone nearby as an outlet, rather than having to keep battling - at which point the Ref blows.

Plus it was an enforced change, not rotation.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 9:46]

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:47 - Jan 15 with 2529 viewsitfcjoe

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:45 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

Not knocking Jackson, who I think has been excellent (if, perhaps, a little reluctant to just shoot on occasion).

Keane gave away some FKs, but he also won a lot of ball. The problem is he needs someone nearby as an outlet, rather than having to keep battling - at which point the Ref blows.

Norwood doesn't seem to read any flicks, Keane won a lot and held the ball up well but Norwood didn't get close to him.

At one point Chambers had peeled off onto a full back and a long ball headed that way, it was as obvious as anything he would win the ball but no one got close to him.

I think Keane and Jackson/Sears could be good partnerships, not sure Norwood will be the one to fire us up this year as is just too sloppy

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:52 - Jan 15 with 2483 viewsHerbivore

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:45 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

Yes agree with that. Keane was more effective first half when Judge wss playing a bit closer to the strikers. I thought second half both Keane and Norwood were isolated and we struggled to do much as a result.

I like Keane as an impact sub at the minute, though when Sears is fit I do still like the idea of a Sears, Keane, Jackson front three.

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:56 - Jan 15 with 2463 viewsGuthrum

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:52 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Yes agree with that. Keane was more effective first half when Judge wss playing a bit closer to the strikers. I thought second half both Keane and Norwood were isolated and we struggled to do much as a result.

I like Keane as an impact sub at the minute, though when Sears is fit I do still like the idea of a Sears, Keane, Jackson front three.

The SKJ front three could be devastating against teams vulnerable to pace, as long our forwards are well-drilled.

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:59 - Jan 15 with 2460 viewsSomethingBlue

Firstly I agree with you re Jackson — would have been absolutely perfect for him, their centre backs did not look comfortable at all with the ball put in behind them and weren't always convincing when pressed in those conditions either. Shame but if he has hamstring fatigue then the threat of a lay-off is pretty real and it's one reason, I suppose, to not mind if Tranmere is called off.

I quite enjoyed the night. If we go up by a point it'll be one of those "were you there?" evenings. Thought both sides were incredibly committed and that pleased me a lot from our point of view — we contested everything very well and everyone seemed to know what their jobs were and stick to them. If we can do that every match, or in the vast majority of them, we will win most of our games.

A few of our players were wading through treacle by the end, obviously not helped by facing the wind, but Huws coming through that was a massive plus and there are good signs that we've got our player back now. At the moment he looks like a forward-playing Skuse and that is what we have been crying out for.

Seen some criticism of Downes' performance and find it very surprising. I thought he was absolutely immense defensively and in terms of anticipating situations. It was a night for that as much as — more than — anything else.

Good to see us shade a game like that between the boxes and look marginally the stronger in the last 10. There were a few times when we seemed a bit cautious but I think people have to remember that this was a big game and very important not to lose it.

Was my first trip to the Kassam since being a semi-regular in the early 2000s and while I was glad of an Oxford away day I'd like to avoid going there again for the play-offs ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:39 - Jan 15 with 2297 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well that was an interesting night! on 09:10 - Jan 15 by portmanking

Lolz. Unreal.

He’s right though.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:43 - Jan 15 with 2288 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don’t see Keane and Norwood as a pair. Keane and a fully fit Sears would offer more. As would Keane and Jackson.

Iron Lion Zion

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:44 - Jan 15 with 2286 viewsitfcjoe

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:43 - Jan 15 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t see Keane and Norwood as a pair. Keane and a fully fit Sears would offer more. As would Keane and Jackson.

It seems to me like it is Keane/Norwood and Jackson/Sears

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:52 - Jan 15 with 2251 viewsKeaneish

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:44 - Jan 15 by itfcjoe

Yeah and what great selection dilemmas to have. All offer something different and all worthy of starting for different reasons. Plus, we already have a proven combo within that. Couldn't ask for much more really at this stage of the season (given recent injury issues) other than being a bit more clinical in front of goal.

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:53 - Jan 15 with 2248 viewsportmanking

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:39 - Jan 15 by GlasgowBlue

He’s right though.

My comment pertains to another thread, where I told Herbivore to 'take the point and move on'. But he disagreed, arguing that the main talking point from last night was our lack of creativity in 60mph winds and howling rain.....
Well that was an interesting night! on 11:56 - Jan 15 with 2230 viewsDanTheMan

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:53 - Jan 15 by portmanking

My comment pertains to another thread, where I told Herbivore to 'take the point and move on'. But he disagreed, arguing that the main talking point from last night was our lack of creativity in 60mph winds and howling rain.....

But he's still right, we did miss Jackson, he's been one of our main creative outlets.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Well that was an interesting night! on 12:00 - Jan 15 with 2199 viewsHerbivore

Well that was an interesting night! on 11:53 - Jan 15 by portmanking

Don't misrepresent me, I never said it was the main point from last night. If you read my posts since the game they are all very similar, decent away point in tough conditions but our failure to create anything was disappointing. You spent a long time arguing with me this morning, if you'd actually just read and comprehended my posts you'd have saved us both a lot of time.

Well that was an interesting night! on 12:01 - Jan 15 with 2197 viewsclive_baker

I'm looking forward to seeing if Sears can find his pre-injury self. He's the most exciting prospect of the 4 for me, IF he can recapture that. It's a long time to be out, especially at his age, so it's not a given that'll he get back to that level but he has the potential to really excel in L1 if he can. Quick, good feet, good touch, works hard, can finish. I really rated him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Well that was an interesting night! on 12:20 - Jan 15 with 2113 viewsGlasgowBlue

You could also have Keane running trough the middle of a front three with Sears and Jackson on the flanks. I don’t think Norwood could do that role.

Iron Lion Zion

Well that was an interesting night! on 13:13 - Jan 15 with 2019 viewsBrixtonBlue

What makes you think Tranmere's massively in doubt? Weather looks alright according to the BBC;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655613

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024