Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3rd test - Eng v SA 08:30 - Jan 16 with 2018 viewsSaleAway

Good first half hour for England. Looks like an excellent toss to win.

Dead looking pitch though, so already worried about how we take 20 wickets on this....

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

3rd test - Eng v SA on 08:36 - Jan 16 with 2002 viewsHerbivore

Really odd that Rabada didn't open the bowling with his pace. He's now coming on but that's an odd shout.

Definitely looks a tame wicket but both batting line ups are fairly weak so I think we'll still see a result. Need Wood to hit the ground running.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

3rd test - Eng v SA on 08:39 - Jan 16 with 1996 viewsSaleAway

3rd test - Eng v SA on 08:36 - Jan 16 by Herbivore

Really odd that Rabada didn't open the bowling with his pace. He's now coming on but that's an odd shout.

Definitely looks a tame wicket but both batting line ups are fairly weak so I think we'll still see a result. Need Wood to hit the ground running.

Yeah, strange that they didn't open up with Rabada, and it already looks a different contest. Crawley still looks suspect against short pace

3rd test - Eng v SA on 08:45 - Jan 16 with 1982 viewsChrisd

Many experts predicting a draw, but England really need to bat well, bat time and get a huge score on the board. Looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

3rd test - Eng v SA on 09:50 - Jan 16 with 1916 viewsSaleAway

3rd test - Eng v SA on 08:45 - Jan 16 by Chrisd

Many experts predicting a draw, but England really need to bat well, bat time and get a huge score on the board. Looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Looking at the 1st day turn that Maharaj is getting, looks like they should have 2 spinners.

Would be great to get through to lunch - I can't remember last time an england opening pair batted for the whole of session 1 in a test!

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:05 - Jan 16 with 1884 viewshampstead_blue

Good decision to pick Wood. I hope Root uses him correctly.

Nice batting by the openers. 5Live Cricket Social is very good and nice to have all the insight

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:13 - Jan 16 with 1877 viewsSteve_M

A couple of stats from this morning:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

3rd test - Eng v SA on 11:11 - Jan 16 with 1838 viewsGaryCooper

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:05 - Jan 16 by hampstead_blue

Nice batting by the openers. 5Live Cricket Social is very good and nice to have all the insight

Talk sport 2 is distinctly average, the picture is not painted and more clichés than a chopsy club wicket keeper.
3rd test - Eng v SA on 13:51 - Jan 16 with 1762 viewsChrisd

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:05 - Jan 16 by hampstead_blue

I'm always surprised that Root doesn't adopt the same approach as that of the Aussies in how they use Starc, short, sharp spells to keep him fresh. Archer and Wood could do with the same TLC.

Login to get fewer ads

3rd test - Eng v SA on 13:52 - Jan 16 with 1756 viewsChrisd

3rd test - Eng v SA on 09:50 - Jan 16 by SaleAway

Looking at the 1st day turn that Maharaj is getting, looks like they should have 2 spinners.

Would be great to get through to lunch - I can't remember last time an england opening pair batted for the whole of session 1 in a test!

Glad we're batting first. Need to get a decent score on the board anything above 300+ could be very decent on this wicket. I bet Bess is licking lips watching this.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 15:32 - Jan 16 with 1722 viewsHARRY10

3rd test - Eng v SA on 13:52 - Jan 16 by Chrisd

Glad we're batting first. Need to get a decent score on the board anything above 300+ could be very decent on this wicket. I bet Bess is licking lips watching this.

A good days play with a fine start followed by a stutter, then back on track.

Both sides will feel they can win it so it should be a a good match, as no one really benefits from a one sided game.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 15:32]
3rd test - Eng v SA on 15:33 - Jan 16 with 1713 viewshampstead_blue

3rd test - Eng v SA on 13:52 - Jan 16 by Chrisd

375 would give us enough to add a touch of scoreboard pressure.

Much less and we'll need to bowl very well indeed....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 15:41 - Jan 16 with 1701 viewsSaleAway

3rd test - Eng v SA on 15:33 - Jan 16 by hampstead_blue

375 would give us enough to add a touch of scoreboard pressure.

Much less and we'll need to bowl very well indeed....

1st hour tomorrow is vital - if we can survive with maybe only 1 down, that'll put us in a strong position for buttler, curran etc to have a swing, and hopefully push up towards 400 - but if we lose a couple of early wickets, we could struggle to make 300.... really balanced 1st day.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 15:43 - Jan 16 with 1699 viewsChrisd

3rd test - Eng v SA on 15:32 - Jan 16 by HARRY10

A good days play with a fine start followed by a stutter, then back on track.

Both sides will feel they can win it so it should be a a good match, as no one really benefits from a one sided game.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 15:32]

I'm really pleased that the selectors are giving Crawley extended time to adjust to test match cricket, think he'll come good. Sibley is thriving, he's going to bat time for us and that's crucial in test match format. His technique might be questionable, but he's got terrific mental strength.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 15:44]

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:37 - Jan 17 with 1581 viewshampstead_blue

The review for the LBW.....it looked utterly stone dead. Missing by a mm.....Feel sorry for the umpire as it was the correct decision.

Pope has got to cash in now........

I'm still thinking if SA get one then .......slow pitch, have to play late. Even Stokes isn't smoking it.

Buttler has the game but needs to get in.....

I'm going to be brave and go for 400.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:40 - Jan 17 with 1576 viewsHerbivore

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:37 - Jan 17 by hampstead_blue

The review for the LBW.....it looked utterly stone dead. Missing by a mm.....Feel sorry for the umpire as it was the correct decision.

I'm still thinking if SA get one then .......slow pitch, have to play late. Even Stokes isn't smoking it.

Always looked to be sliding down leg to me, thought it was a bad call from the umpire. We should easily be on for 400+ now.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:47 - Jan 17 with 1559 viewsjimsymBLUE

Great morning for our boy's. Ollie Pope really has a serious touch of class about him, brilliant of front and back foot. Disagree with the LBW, far too much guessing from the umpires these days. It looked at very best clipping the top of leg so should never have been given...(obviously spoken from a batsman!!)

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

3rd test - Eng v SA on 11:04 - Jan 17 with 1544 viewsHerbivore

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:47 - Jan 17 by jimsymBLUE

Great morning for our boy's. Ollie Pope really has a serious touch of class about him, brilliant of front and back foot. Disagree with the LBW, far too much guessing from the umpires these days. It looked at very best clipping the top of leg so should never have been given...(obviously spoken from a batsman!!)

I'm with you on the LBW, looked anything but plum.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 11:10 - Jan 17 with 1536 viewsSteve_M

Yes, good morning. It almost seems quite radical that England have rediscovered the way to play Test cricket but it's nice to see.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

3rd test - Eng v SA on 11:14 - Jan 17 with 1525 viewsReuser_is_God

Not sure it was the correct decision given the technology tells us it's missing the stumps.

Think this is the start of something good for England here. 3 from Sibley, Crawley, Denly & Burns is a solid top 3 with a powerhouse middle order. We may finally be seeing the end of these constant batting collapses.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

3rd test - Eng v SA on 11:38 - Jan 17 with 1498 viewsChrisd

3rd test - Eng v SA on 10:47 - Jan 17 by jimsymBLUE

Completely agree jimsymblue, Pope looks test class already. I like what I’ve seen of these young ‘uns; Sibley, Pope and Crawley. This series could be the making of them. I’d give them the Sri Lanka series too, really gives them added confidence that they are part of this England test team.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 17:17 - Jan 17 with 1446 viewshampstead_blue

Very good day's cricket.

So good I missed the gym........!!

Pope looked good but I am so sad for Buttler. He can't buy a run. He, like Stokes, has talent to burn and if he had got 'in' on that pitch would have torn them apart.

He is by far superior than Bairstow but not as good a gloveman as Folkes.
Buttler at 6 playing as a batter, Crawley at 3 (when Burns is fit), Folkes at 7.
Drop Denly - too limited at this level.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 17:20 - Jan 17 with 1443 viewsHerbivore

3rd test - Eng v SA on 17:17 - Jan 17 by hampstead_blue

Very good day's cricket.

So good I missed the gym........!!

Pope looked good but I am so sad for Buttler. He can't buy a run. He, like Stokes, has talent to burn and if he had got 'in' on that pitch would have torn them apart.

He is by far superior than Bairstow but not as good a gloveman as Folkes.
Buttler at 6 playing as a batter, Crawley at 3 (when Burns is fit), Folkes at 7.
Drop Denly - too limited at this level.

You're leaving out Pope in that batting line up.

3rd test - Eng v SA on 13:54 - Jan 18 with 1345 viewshampstead_blue

3rd test - Eng v SA on 17:20 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

You're leaving out Pope in that batting line up.

I did by error.

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope/buttler
Foalkes
Curran/woakes/archer/wood
Spinner or one from above
Anderson
Broad

3rd test - Eng v SA on 14:07 - Jan 18 with 1334 viewsgordon

3rd test - Eng v SA on 13:54 - Jan 18 by hampstead_blue

I did by error.

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope/buttler
Foalkes
Curran/woakes/archer/wood
Spinner or one from above
Anderson
Broad

Think Denly has been really key over the last year or so in making the top order a bit more solid - he's obviously limited, hasn't got massive scores, and isn't a long term solution, but has very rarely got out quickly, taking a bit of shine/hardness off the ball, giving Root/Stokes and the middle order more of a chance.
3rd test - Eng v SA on 14:46 - Jan 18 with 1317 viewshampstead_blue

3rd test - Eng v SA on 14:07 - Jan 18 by gordon

Think Denly has been really key over the last year or so in making the top order a bit more solid - he's obviously limited, hasn't got massive scores, and isn't a long term solution, but has very rarely got out quickly, taking a bit of shine/hardness off the ball, giving Root/Stokes and the middle order more of a chance.

His lack of a score does show why he's not been picked before.

TMS, or Cricket Social for this series was talking about his lack of ability to find gaps. Pope was using his wrists to find a gap but they felt that Denly was too drilled and lacked that extra ability.

From my own game I feel it's a confidence thing. He may just feel to defensive and driven to bat time that he doesn't want to take risks.

A world class #3 is a rare bird indeed. I'm happy with Denly but like the cut of Crawley. Having two similar, different ages but fairly similar cloth, is good.

Oh, I forgot, Denly is a gun fielder (save the NZ goober) and bowls leggies - see 'Golden Arm'

Decisions. Maybe I will give it Denly for my last two points.........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024