Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jon Nolan 12:25 - Jan 26 with 5436 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Really surprised to see comments saying to cash in on Nolan. He’s an important member of the squad - one injury or dip in form to Judge, Huws or Downes and Nolan is next in line for me.

Progressive footballer, passes down the middle, keeps the ball moving, good eye for a pass, gets about the pitch well and a good age too. Not worth losing, one of the few who performed well at a higher level for me last season.

Sell to invest where? This 11 is very settled and we already have good options in reserve for the key positions. Holy back up GK, Earl back up in the back 3, Nolan/Bishop back up for the midfield 3, Norwood back up for the front 2. Only position we are light is at wing back, but there’s not a position for me which needs obvious investment.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Jon Nolan on 13:05 - Jan 26 with 4269 viewsitfcjoe

We play 3 at the back and 3 in midfield - we have 8 CMs and 4 CBs, be good if that could be balanced out a bit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jon Nolan on 13:09 - Jan 26 with 4236 viewsFixed_It

Jon Nolan on 13:05 - Jan 26 by itfcjoe

We play 3 at the back and 3 in midfield - we have 8 CMs and 4 CBs, be good if that could be balanced out a bit

Tilt was a Hurst target. There's no saying that Lambert rates him or even knows much about him.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Jon Nolan on 13:13 - Jan 26 with 4224 viewsIllinoisblue

Progressive footballer? What does that even mean?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Jon Nolan on 13:14 - Jan 26 with 4218 viewsDubtractor

Jon Nolan on 13:13 - Jan 26 by Illinoisblue

I'm assuming in this case it is another word for "ineffective".

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jon Nolan on 13:14 - Jan 26 with 4214 viewsagentp

Two in 3 out is my guess for next week.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Jon Nolan on 13:18 - Jan 26 with 4213 viewsJDB23

Bishop, Skuse and Dozzell can all play in the CM role at the level of Nolan, Bish/Dobra can play that number 10 role if needed.

Depending on the fee I wouldn't be against selling, gets some wages off the books and gives some cash injection. Even if we don't spend it but it means we're less likely to sell one of our better players in the summer then it would be worth it. If it's only a couple hundred thousand then yeah I would keep him.
Jon Nolan on 13:39 - Jan 26 with 4149 viewsHullblue

Jon Nolan on 13:05 - Jan 26 by itfcjoe

Who are you counting in that 8? I can only think of Dozzell, Downes, Huws, Skuse, Bishop, Nolan and Judge. El Miz is out on loan, Nydam is injured. I guess Dobra can play as a 10 too.

Usually I would say that’s one too many, but given Bishop and Huws’ injury records I think it would be slightly risky to let Nolan go. Worth remembering that Skuse can play in the back three as well.

It depends on how good the new loanee is though - if Woolfenden or Chambers get injured there will be a lot of pressure on him.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Jon Nolan on 13:43 - Jan 26 with 4130 viewsitfcjoe

Jon Nolan on 13:39 - Jan 26 by Hullblue

Who are you counting in that 8? I can only think of Dozzell, Downes, Huws, Skuse, Bishop, Nolan and Judge. El Miz is out on loan, Nydam is injured. I guess Dobra can play as a 10 too.

Usually I would say that’s one too many, but given Bishop and Huws’ injury records I think it would be slightly risky to let Nolan go. Worth remembering that Skuse can play in the back three as well.

It depends on how good the new loanee is though - if Woolfenden or Chambers get injured there will be a lot of pressure on him.

Yeah Dobra was the 8th, and realistically he’s not going to get any game time.

Think there is a need for another CB I otherwise you are going to end up having to play someone out of position there at some point

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Jon Nolan on 14:27 - Jan 26 with 3999 viewsdickie

A footballer that is unelectable?
Jon Nolan on 14:41 - Jan 26 with 3954 viewsStokieBlue

"Progressive footballer"

This is simply not true. He virtually always collects the ball and then turns back and plays backwards or occasionally sideways. Can you give some examples of this "eye for a pass"?

He slows us down and then passes back and the ball gets hoofed forward. I think a move would suit all parties.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Jon Nolan on 14:52 - Jan 26 with 3902 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Jon Nolan on 14:41 - Jan 26 by StokieBlue

"Progressive footballer"

This is simply not true. He virtually always collects the ball and then turns back and plays backwards or occasionally sideways. Can you give some examples of this "eye for a pass"?

He slows us down and then passes back and the ball gets hoofed forward. I think a move would suit all parties.

SB

Ipswich's YouTube page - Portsmouth highlights. 3 passes I see all first thought of head up and play forward. The 2nd and 3rd passes were executed very well. The lad can play and he's got that pass in his locker. Opinions I guess though.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Jon Nolan on 14:55 - Jan 26 with 3889 viewsHullblue

Jon Nolan on 13:43 - Jan 26 by itfcjoe

Yeah Dobra was the 8th, and realistically he’s not going to get any game time.

Think there is a need for another CB I otherwise you are going to end up having to play someone out of position there at some point

Yeah, we have 6 CBs who should be able to play in a back three if you include Skuse and Donacien, but realistically an injury to Woolfie or Chambers leaves us short of quality and experience back there.

Out of all our CMs, Nolan is the one I’d let go too. I like him on a good day but given that he should be playing near his full potential at his age, we have better options.

Maybe letting him go will free up wages for Tommy Smith?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Jon Nolan on 15:01 - Jan 26 with 3864 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Jon Nolan on 13:39 - Jan 26 by Hullblue

Just going through that list there...

Dozzell - out of contract in the summer (one year extension but will he want to stay?)

Downes - IF we don't go up, he's gone in the summer

Huws - if he stays fit and plays the rest of the season, he's another with obvious Championship ability who could be tempted by a better club if we don't go up

Skuse - I would personally keep Skuse, but he's not my type of midfielder. Possible back 3 option?

Bishop - always be that injury concern for me, would want to see him stay fit for the rest of the season

Judge - number 10 role player, not any deeper

El Miz/Dobra - need games first

The summer is a different conversation with a few players depending on the league we are in, but I don't see why Nolan would be sold considering he's still important.

Jon Nolan on 15:03 - Jan 26 with 3844 viewsHerbivore

Jon Nolan on 15:01 - Jan 26 by IPSWICHFANITFC

Dozzell - out of contract in the summer (one year extension but will he want to stay?)

Huws - if he stays fit and plays the rest of the season, he's another with obvious Championship ability who could be tempted by a better club if we don't go up

Skuse - I would personally keep Skuse, but he's not my type of midfielder. Possible back 3 option?

Bishop - always be that injury concern for me, would want to see him stay fit for the rest of the season

The summer is a different conversation with a few players depending on the league we are in, but I don't see why Nolan would be sold considering he's still important.

I'm not so sure he is important though. He's out of the side and hasn't played well this season. We have more than enough cover. If Bradford want to throw some money at us for him then I think it's worth considering cashing in.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jon Nolan on 15:09 - Jan 26 with 3824 viewsTractorgirlforever

Jon Nolan on 14:52 - Jan 26 by IPSWICHFANITFC

Ipswich's YouTube page - Portsmouth highlights. 3 passes I see all first thought of head up and play forward. The 2nd and 3rd passes were executed very well. The lad can play and he's got that pass in his locker. Opinions I guess though.

I agree, hes too good a squad member to lose especially in this league and when we get promoted he could be just as important in the championship next season, hes obviously talented and maybe not the type of player we would really cash in on if we were to sell him. I say keep him as we will need him
Jon Nolan on 15:15 - Jan 26 with 3792 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Jon Nolan on 15:01 - Jan 26 by IPSWICHFANITFC

Nolan has not played 1 minute of the last 6 league games despite being fit and available.

To describe him as a key player in the squad is a stretch.

All of those players are available until the summer at least (aside from El Mizouni who is out on loan). If we sell Nolan now because he is surplus to requirements, we can always look at a suitable replacement in the summer if needs be when we will know which level we are at.

There is no doubt in my mind that cashing in on Nolan if anyone wants him would be the right thing to do. More so than the decision to sell Harrison which we haven't regretted.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jon Nolan on 15:18 - Jan 26 with 3769 viewsfooters

Can we keep him just because he has lovely hair? With him and Bish, we'd have the smoothest midfield in the football league :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jon Nolan on 15:36 - Jan 26 with 3676 viewscatch74

Jon Nolan on 15:15 - Jan 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Nolan has not played 1 minute of the last 6 league games despite being fit and available.

To describe him as a key player in the squad is a stretch.

All of those players are available until the summer at least (aside from El Mizouni who is out on loan). If we sell Nolan now because he is surplus to requirements, we can always look at a suitable replacement in the summer if needs be when we will know which level we are at.

There is no doubt in my mind that cashing in on Nolan if anyone wants him would be the right thing to do. More so than the decision to sell Harrison which we haven't regretted.

I wonder, too, if he’s the kind of person who wants to play week in week out. Not looked back but think he’s always played for whichever team he’s been part of, when fit. Lambert won’t stand in his way if he wants regular football.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Jon Nolan on 15:43 - Jan 26 with 3656 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Jon Nolan on 15:03 - Jan 26 by Herbivore

I'm not so sure he is important though. He's out of the side and hasn't played well this season. We have more than enough cover. If Bradford want to throw some money at us for him then I think it's worth considering cashing in.

The way I see it is short term he’s needed. We’re just fortunate right now injury wise in the middle of the park. Anyone leaving the club now would baffle me unless he really was out of the picture currently (Roberts, Nsiala etc).

Let’s say we don’t go up. Flynn Downes gets sold, Huws on this form probably gets a move, the club can’t afford to hold on to Skuse, but his legs are no better in 6 months than they are now anyway, so there’s no real urgency to hold him down to a deal.

Dozzell’s contract situation in the air leaving Bishop. Are we really able to rebuild the whole midfield over the summer?

Nolan is 27. He’s key. Let’s hold on to him. I’m sure there would be a fair amount of movement in the summer depending on what league we are in, but any outgoings should be decided in the summer.

Jon Nolan on 15:53 - Jan 26 with 3590 viewsHerbivore

Jon Nolan on 15:43 - Jan 26 by IPSWICHFANITFC

The way I see it is short term he’s needed. We’re just fortunate right now injury wise in the middle of the park. Anyone leaving the club now would baffle me unless he really was out of the picture currently (Roberts, Nsiala etc).

Let’s say we don’t go up. Flynn Downes gets sold, Huws on this form probably gets a move, the club can’t afford to hold on to Skuse, but his legs are no better in 6 months than they are now anyway, so there’s no real urgency to hold him down to a deal.

Dozzell’s contract situation in the air leaving Bishop. Are we really able to rebuild the whole midfield over the summer?

Nolan is 27. He’s key. Let’s hold on to him. I’m sure there would be a fair amount of movement in the summer depending on what league we are in, but any outgoings should be decided in the summer.

Just because you keep saying he's needed and he's key it doesn't make it so. We've done fine without him the past 5 or 6 games, in fact it's probably been our best run of performances of the season. We have Dozzell, Skuse and Bishop all covering for the three current starters and eve got youngsters and players coming back from injury to cover further. We don't need him and he's definitely not key. Speculating that we'll lose our entire midfield in the summer is a rather bizarre argument for keeping him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jon Nolan on 15:54 - Jan 26 with 3578 viewsBlueBadger

Jon Nolan on 14:52 - Jan 26 by IPSWICHFANITFC

I think if you're having to cherry-pick examples that minutely, it's not really supporting your case.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jon Nolan on 15:55 - Jan 26 with 3576 viewstractorboy1978

Jon Nolan on 15:43 - Jan 26 by IPSWICHFANITFC

He's far from 'key' though is he? I don't see him getting many minutes between now and the end of the season. I wouldn't be desperate to sell but if Blackpool are willing to pay us a significant chunk of what we paid for him then I would cash in.
Jon Nolan on 15:55 - Jan 26 with 3574 viewsBlueBadger

It means 'I want to look like I know what I;m talking about, but don't'.

See also: UnstableBlue and all his talk of 'technical football'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jon Nolan on 16:08 - Jan 26 with 3525 viewsmonty_radio

Jon Nolan on 14:41 - Jan 26 by StokieBlue

"Progressive footballer"

SB

Some truth in that, but he wasn't playing when the forwards were as fluent as now, and looking and finding space into which that pass could have been directed.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Jon Nolan on 16:12 - Jan 26 with 3509 viewssparks

Jon Nolan on 16:08 - Jan 26 by monty_radio

Some truth in that, but he wasn't playing when the forwards were as fluent as now, and looking and finding space into which that pass could have been directed.

He was part of the reasons that forwards didnt look fluent. They make runs and he would hold things up and lay it back again. That position requires you to link attack and defence. Its difficult. He wasnt good at it.

Not coninved Judge is great at it either- spends too much time going looking for the ball and clogging up moves on the flanks , and also has a tendency to receive and then turn back in and go backwards- because he cant beat a man.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024