Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This may be a bit controversial ... 10:18 - Feb 13 with 7620 viewsurbanblue

.. but after watching that sh1tshow of a performance by the team on Tuesday I've decided to share a thought that's been bugging me privately for a while now. I've been dismissing it but without doubt there is something badly wrong at the club so I've decided to put it out there to you lot. Being a lonely old Town supporter in Australia I have no one to nut things out with, so I thought I'd put it out to you lot.

I'm not going to say it is the case, but I'm wondering whether certain senior players just have too much influence within the club to the detriment of the team in more ways then one. Yes, I'm talking about Chambers and Skuse mainly, without doubt fantastic servants of the club but now the constant in two seasons of what is looking increasingly like total failure.

Last Tuesday, as many times before there was not a bit of passion, hunger or desire from the team. The mentality was all wrong. There is a defeatist attitude pervading and no sign of the leadership needed from the two players who have been part of it many, many times before. It's just the norm for them now eh!

Outwardly, of course the passion and fighting talk is all there in the interviews, but inwardly deep inside, the doubts after all these 'big game' defeats must be immense and of course will be felt by the rest of the team.

The other aspect is, I wonder whether the failure of Hurst and now Lambert could also be linked to pressure from the players. We all know that Hurst fell out with the Senior pros, the team stopped playing for him (If they ever started!) and that conversations were had between Chambers and Evans that led to Hurst's dismissal. I am no Hurst apologist at all but what if he never had a chance with the players from Day One? A lot of us were actually quite excited after those first few games under Hurst and we have all asked why he appeared to suddenly abandon his philosophy and play in a totally different way with different players from Norwich game onwards.

Sound familiar? After starting the season with a 442, a fairly steady line up and moving to the top of the league Lambert also abandons a winning formula. Holy gets dropped?. After Lincoln 'the players' apparently told Lambert how they wanted to play. Chambers has said he loves the current system. Great Luke. That's alright then. No matter we can't win a game! Many of us here have commented that the Wimbledon game needed a 442 line up but no ... Same, same and a very a defensive formation!

Two previously previously successful managers just can't make up their minds or too much 'Player power'?

As I have said, these are just thoughts and I am not saying this is the case. I am hopefully talking nonsense. But no one seems to have considered that maybe Lambert is just not his own man. I'm thousands of miles away and someone with local knowledge within the club might tell me I am totally wrong on this. I hope so. However, while all the talk on here has blamed Evans and Lambert for our current predicament, for two managers to fail so miserably says to me there is something deeper going on.

The club is, I think, in big trouble and needs a big clear out to get rid of the losing mentality and the players associated with it.

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:21 - Feb 13 with 5536 viewsHerbivore

If Chambers and Skuse have the kind of negative influence you are suggesting then a decent manager with his own ideas would have bombed them out by now.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 10:27]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:26 - Feb 13 with 5486 viewsitfcjoe

One thing I’ve noticed is that in PLs early games he was an absolute menace on the sidelines - kicking and heading every ball, and dragging players along with him.

I’d forgotten this until the Accrington game when he was doing it, and you can tell it was helping the players - keeping standards high etc.

Last few games he just meanders around technical area, not shouting or pushing on or doing anything really. How can something like that change week to week, it’s surely what he’s like or he isn’t - or is he just not bothered any more?

With regards to Chambers and Skuse, they were both starting in 442, whereas Skuse hadn’t been in 352 so hard to see he has that Much influence as would surely want to be playing? There is clearly an element of player power, and Chambo a big character - but I’d say Lambo as big a part of losing mentality as anyone here, if Chambo and Skuse are to go I’d rather it be a different manager who moves them on as don’t trust this one to move us forwards

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:27 - Feb 13 with 5468 viewsurbanblue

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:21 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

If Chambers and Skuse have the kind of negative influence you are suggesting then a decent manager with his own ideas would have bombed them out by now.

Yeah, I guess so. Though you did say a decent manager would have .... Decent being the operative word!

I am by no means saying that there is any nastiness in it. But it's a bit like getting a job in an office where there is the old boy who's been there for years, loved his old boss, has always had a say and resistant to change.

Like part of the furniture.
This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:36 - Feb 13 with 5406 viewsurbanblue

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:26 - Feb 13 by itfcjoe

One thing I’ve noticed is that in PLs early games he was an absolute menace on the sidelines - kicking and heading every ball, and dragging players along with him.

I’d forgotten this until the Accrington game when he was doing it, and you can tell it was helping the players - keeping standards high etc.

Last few games he just meanders around technical area, not shouting or pushing on or doing anything really. How can something like that change week to week, it’s surely what he’s like or he isn’t - or is he just not bothered any more?

With regards to Chambers and Skuse, they were both starting in 442, whereas Skuse hadn’t been in 352 so hard to see he has that Much influence as would surely want to be playing? There is clearly an element of player power, and Chambo a big character - but I’d say Lambo as big a part of losing mentality as anyone here, if Chambo and Skuse are to go I’d rather it be a different manager who moves them on as don’t trust this one to move us forwards

I'm trying not to be harsh on Chambo but man, it's getting hard seeing him there week after week, season after season, as we continually fail.

As regards Skuse not playing, I guess I'm not saying they are in charge, but that they have a big enough say to muddy the waters. A little bit of the 'too many cooks scenario' where there is too much input from too many people!
This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:48 - Feb 13 with 5329 viewsChrisd

Certainly in regards to leaders on the pitch, we don’t have any when the going gets tough.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 14:41]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:20 - Feb 13 with 5163 viewsIllinoisblue

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:36 - Feb 13 by urbanblue

I'm trying not to be harsh on Chambo but man, it's getting hard seeing him there week after week, season after season, as we continually fail.

As regards Skuse not playing, I guess I'm not saying they are in charge, but that they have a big enough say to muddy the waters. A little bit of the 'too many cooks scenario' where there is too much input from too many people!

Chambers’ mistake at Sunderland - where completely unchallenged he let the ball under his foot and go out for a throw; a move from which they scored - if that had been Kenlock doing that there would be endless ridicule and GIFs.

That said, it’s not defence that’s our main problem; it’s the ineffective midfield that is unable to create chances and Garbutt aside unable to contribute goals

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:25 - Feb 13 with 5135 viewsReuser_is_God

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:26 - Feb 13 by itfcjoe

Could really notice this from Lambert watching on iFollow on Tuesday night, just stood there with his hands in his pockets.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:45 - Feb 13 with 5033 viewsEdmundo

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:27 - Feb 13 by urbanblue

Yeah, I guess so. Though you did say a decent manager would have .... Decent being the operative word!

I am by no means saying that there is any nastiness in it. But it's a bit like getting a job in an office where there is the old boy who's been there for years, loved his old boss, has always had a say and resistant to change.

Long termers, coming to the end of their careers are unfortunately either great leaders who espouse the culture of the organization, or empire-builders desperately trying to squeeze out the most from their bosses for minimum effort. Which is Chambers? Which is Skuse?

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Login to get fewer ads

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:46 - Feb 13 with 5031 viewsOsborneOneNil

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:21 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

I've mentioned these tweo before, haven't I. They were past their sell by at least 2 years ago. Skuse is Skuse, but doesn't bring anything to the party. Nice bloke though.

Chambers, crikey, what a poor excuse for a footballer. Great guy, smashing fist pumps, but a poor poor footballer. I've lost count of the errors and mistakes he makes, almost every single game.

I'm amazed we haven't utilised more of the younger lads this year, Dobra & El Miz in particular. We need an injection of some youthful enthusiasm, it's all so bloody boring and tired.

Like many, Ipswich are currently doing my head in like never ever before. Really can't be a5sed.
This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:50 - Feb 13 with 4998 viewsHerbivore

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:46 - Feb 13 by OsborneOneNil

I've mentioned these tweo before, haven't I. They were past their sell by at least 2 years ago. Skuse is Skuse, but doesn't bring anything to the party. Nice bloke though.

Chambers, crikey, what a poor excuse for a footballer. Great guy, smashing fist pumps, but a poor poor footballer. I've lost count of the errors and mistakes he makes, almost every single game.

I'm amazed we haven't utilised more of the younger lads this year, Dobra & El Miz in particular. We need an injection of some youthful enthusiasm, it's all so bloody boring and tired.

Like many, Ipswich are currently doing my head in like never ever before. Really can't be a5sed.

Yeah, you've been banging on about anyone who you saw as one of Mick's boys for ages.

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:51 - Feb 13 with 5002 viewsMrTown

Well I know for a fact, from one of Hurst's backroom staff who admittedly said he had great relationship with every single player, he did say that the senior pros at the club have a lot of influence (didn't name names) and said Hurst and in particular Chris D struggled with it.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:59 - Feb 13 with 4941 viewsChrisd

This may be a bit controversial ... on 12:46 - Feb 13 by OsborneOneNil

You're right. Both are now coming to the end of their distinguished playing careers and neither are the players they once were unfortunately. Skuse has shown his age at times this season and Chambers hasn't been as convincing. However, both of those players are the types you're looking for inspiration or encouragement from, especially as a younger player. They should be the ones demanding high standards especially when things are proving tough, whether that's verbally or the way they are playing.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 13:03]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:20 - Feb 13 with 4839 viewsr2d2

Ive said for a long time they have too much influence. Its not healthy for the squad. The manager needs to get a grip of this if he does stay. Because with them around the club is going nowhere. Way too much sway over other players.
This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:28 - Feb 13 with 4788 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:32 - Feb 13 with 4758 viewsBigManBlue

Problem with Chambers isn't that he's a big figure, it's that he's not a very good defender anymore. This idea of clearing out everyone with a losing mentality would reduce us to about 6 players I'd imagine, so unless we're going to solely play with kids we need to figure out a way of getting more from what we have - even if they have been pretty cr*p over the last couple of years.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:34 - Feb 13 with 4746 viewsHerbivore

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:28 - Feb 13 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

They were also common denominators in finishing top half 4 seasons out of 5 and reaching the play offs. You could just as easily say we've been on a downward curve since Dozzell and Downes made their debuts.

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:36 - Feb 13 with 4736 viewsr2d2

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:32 - Feb 13 by BigManBlue

Problem with Chambers isn't that he's a big figure, it's that he's not a very good defender anymore. This idea of clearing out everyone with a losing mentality would reduce us to about 6 players I'd imagine, so unless we're going to solely play with kids we need to figure out a way of getting more from what we have - even if they have been pretty cr*p over the last couple of years.

Warnock is probably one of the few people who could sort this. Mick would too.
This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:40 - Feb 13 with 4720 viewsBigManBlue

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:36 - Feb 13 by r2d2

Warnock is probably one of the few people who could sort this. Mick would too.

Yep. It also doesn't fill me with confidence that our manager apparently can't manage our two most senior influential players - as you say Mick seemed to be able to use that energy to strengthen the team, not disunite it.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:48 - Feb 13 with 4678 viewsreusersfreekicks

This thread is wholey based on unsubstantiated assumptions. As for Hurst and Lambert being otherwise successful managers that is plainly nonsense. Apart from a decline in their performance in line with the passing years can't see these two having anything but a positive influence on our club. Shame people feel the need to turn on them
This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:56 - Feb 13 with 4633 viewsjaykay

This may be a bit controversial ... on 10:27 - Feb 13 by urbanblue

sometimes i think the same. at the time of hurst coming in most of the board welcomed him and thought he may be the man. then rumours started to circulate, deffo info started to appear on here. ex pros started to put the boot in. one players dad started to say it looked like his son was being victimised and all were saying he should be playing. bart complained he wasnt told he was being dropped.
it looks like history is repeating itself lambert not playing dozzel, rumours of players telling lambert how the side should be picked. trouble with which keeper to play. soon the deffo info will be on here.
mind you its all just a cooncidence

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This may be a bit controversial ... on 14:06 - Feb 13 with 4580 viewspete81

This may be a bit controversial ... on 13:56 - Feb 13 by jaykay

sometimes i think the same. at the time of hurst coming in most of the board welcomed him and thought he may be the man. then rumours started to circulate, deffo info started to appear on here. ex pros started to put the boot in. one players dad started to say it looked like his son was being victimised and all were saying he should be playing. bart complained he wasnt told he was being dropped.
it looks like history is repeating itself lambert not playing dozzel, rumours of players telling lambert how the side should be picked. trouble with which keeper to play. soon the deffo info will be on here.

we are in league 1 next season, Chambers and Skuse need to go, the full backs with Nydam/Kenlock/Donacian and KVY will suffice... the number 10 with Bish/El moz will work, In a 433 the wide attackers will be Jackson/Sears/Dobra/Lankaster.
It is the spine - leadership from CD CMF and striker that needs to be sorted. 3 guys that are leaders and know how to defend/ score goals at this level to replace Skuse, Chambers and to a lesser extent Keane up front....
This may be a bit controversial ... on 14:27 - Feb 13 with 4520 viewsRadlett_blue

It did seem that when Hurst came in, it was as if everyone started with a clean sheet & that senior players like Bart, Chambers & Skuse had to prove they were worth a place in the starting XI. Hurst would naturally also have favoured the players he had brought in, especially ones from his own club & when it looked as if they weren't up to tier 2 football, no wonder discontent set in.
"Player power" can be a dangerous thing, but equally managers, especially those who only have experience of the lower leagues, have to earn some respect.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This may be a bit controversial ... on 14:34 - Feb 13 with 4482 viewsGarv

Unpopular opinion;

Bart needs to get over being dropped for Norwich and not being told. He should have got over it a week after it happened.

Because Hurst was never more than an average Championship player at best, our lot didn't take to him when he gave them a rocket. It's funny, I'd like to see what this board was like when we went out to Exeter last season and see what sort of abuse players were getting, then I'd like to see some more recent posts where Hurst was demonised for daring to do the same to the players' faces. Maybe he went in too strong and maybe too soon, but judging by Bart's admission that the squad knew they were relegated in October, I'm not surprised he felt the need to have a go.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

This may be a bit controversial ... on 15:01 - Feb 13 with 4406 viewsmadmouse1959

AT LAST. Someone realizes that Skuse, Chambers & Sears have had a good run, thank you very much, time to move on.
The talking has to stop. The sunken head at the end of each game. The defensive negative approach to games and the usual frown of failure when the other team scores.

shampoo dave

This may be a bit controversial ... on 15:20 - Feb 13 with 4358 viewsHerbivore

This may be a bit controversial ... on 14:34 - Feb 13 by Garv

Unpopular opinion;

Bart needs to get over being dropped for Norwich and not being told. He should have got over it a week after it happened.

Because Hurst was never more than an average Championship player at best, our lot didn't take to him when he gave them a rocket. It's funny, I'd like to see what this board was like when we went out to Exeter last season and see what sort of abuse players were getting, then I'd like to see some more recent posts where Hurst was demonised for daring to do the same to the players' faces. Maybe he went in too strong and maybe too soon, but judging by Bart's admission that the squad knew they were relegated in October, I'm not surprised he felt the need to have a go.

That's an interesting take on Hurst's total lack of man management skills.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024