Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith 08:42 - Feb 22 with 1570 viewsChurchman75

Yes Smith is one of our own but a lot of people are looking through blue tinted glasses.

Never a good reader of the game and often got caught out and had to make a recovering challenge.
He was good at attacking a corner but never that great defensively.

Josh Earl is a cut above him.

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 08:50 - Feb 22 with 1536 viewsitfcjoe

You’ve watched Earl for one game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 08:54 - Feb 22 with 1522 viewsTractorWood

Josh Earl is a cut above him based on one game in a much worse league?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 08:56 - Feb 22 with 1510 viewsSuperblue95

Not seen Earl so won’t comment on him. Smith would have been a decent signing but agree he wasn’t as great a player as some make out he was. Frequently he’d let the ball bounce behind him and get done by an attacker. Loved a goal mind

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 09:00 - Feb 22 with 1483 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Time will tell but think Earl helps us switch from a 3 to a 4 mid game which is handy.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 09:01 - Feb 22 with 1475 viewsSomethingBlue

Not sure, I think if you have a chance to bring someone like Smith in you do it, even if it knocks (say) Wilson out of the picture.

I do suspect, from what I've seen of Earl, that he's crisper in possession and better at carrying the ball — important facets for two of the back three — but Tommy would have been exceptional backup for Chambers or a great option when we next use a back four.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 09:02 - Feb 22 with 1454 viewsChrisd

Earl played well last week, but then the game against AFC Wimbledon (appreciate playing in a different position), was getting a panning. Judge Earl on 5 or 6 games in. I look at the Smith situation and would he improve us? Without doubt. He's so much better than Wilson and It would be great to have a CB that thrives on the physical challenge that Rotherham and Wycombe provide without wilting with a whimper. In terms of how PL wants us to play, then probably not, Smith wasn't ever great with the ball at his feet and he'd just add to the catalogue of CBs we currently have that lack that ability. Well apart from Woolfenden.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 09:02 - Feb 22 with 1454 viewsPecker

Agree in not resigning Tommo, But Earl is nowhere near as good yet. Potentially Earl will be better than Tommo, just not yet. Think Smith would struggle to displace Chambo and Wolfie.
Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 09:08 - Feb 22 with 1417 viewsBigManBlue

Seeing as it's not my money paying the wages I would have like both Smith and Earl in, feel like we'd be stocked with good options for whatever system we wanted to play then. I'd only have been upset if we hadn't ended up with anyone though.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 09:15 - Feb 22 with 1391 viewsWickets

Well I'm not sure as its been a while since we saw Tommy and PL has been able to keep an eye on him in training so we have to trust our managers judgement . But is Tommy better than Wilson ? PL's quoted as saying he would only sign players that are an improvement on what we have .
Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 13:50 - Feb 22 with 1236 viewsArnieM

Spot on OP. TS would ALWAYS allow the ball to bounce causing him no end of unnecessary scrambles for the ball. He first and only thought as a defender is to boot it out . Not really what we want now .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 13:54 - Feb 22 with 1224 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If it wasn't for his previous links with us, I don't think anyone would be making a big deal over this at all.

If he was an effective, creative winger/wing back it would be a different story. That is where we have a need.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 13:57 - Feb 22 with 1214 viewsTrequartista

Or you have brown-tinted glasses? He was a decent, average Championship centre-back. That makes him a great signing in League One. Josh Earl may turn out to be better, it's too early to tell, but he's going back to Preston at the end of the season.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 13:57 - Feb 22 with 1212 viewsSwansea_Blue

There we are then. Almost a certainty now that S’land will pip us to 6th place thanks to a last minute Tommy header from a corner!

I’ve no idea how it would work out. At the time, and slightly contrary to the general view of him, I always thought he was extremely limited and agricultural. But seeing we’ve done no better since he could well have been a good option. Time will tell.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lambert did the right thing with Tommy Smith on 14:17 - Feb 22 with 1168 viewsNthsuffolkblue

On the bench for Sunderland today. Wonder how fit he is. Is he seen as a back-up or first choice but not yet ready to play?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024