Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
listen 'bor 08:58 - Mar 19 with 1203 viewsSharkey

Listening to a lot more radio, and struck by the number of vaguely Geordie accents out there.

Got me thinking, how many East Anglian voices are there in the national media, including sports media?
Chris Sutton I'd count as national, Terry Butcher perhaps. Even people like Steve Lamacq and Tom Ravenscroft to my mind don't have full-on' East Anglian accents. (I remember watching 'Twenty Twelve', the Olympics-build-up comedy and thinking that the guy in charge of traffic was almost the first person I'd seen on tv talk properly since John Bond! )
listen 'bor on 09:10 - Mar 19 with 1156 viewssoupytwist

Dermot O'Leary was born and brought up in Colchester but doesn't really have an East Anglian accent.
listen 'bor on 10:47 - Mar 19 with 1103 viewsGeoffSentence

East Anglian accents don't feature at all heavily in the media. I suspect that they are highly unrepresented, partly because all the BBC money is funelled into London, Salford, Wales and Scotland.

Even when there is a drama set in East Anglia, local accents are usually delivered as West Country, for some reason otherwise decent actors can't get their heads round our accents.

The only East Anglian accent that I can recall for a presenter of anything on TV was the Reverend Lionel Fanthorpe, who was from Dereham and presented a few things back in the late 90s and early noughties, most notably Fortean TV

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

listen 'bor on 10:52 - Mar 19 with 1096 viewsKeno

listen 'bor on 10:47 - Mar 19 by GeoffSentence

East Anglian accents don't feature at all heavily in the media. I suspect that they are highly unrepresented, partly because all the BBC money is funelled into London, Salford, Wales and Scotland.

Even when there is a drama set in East Anglia, local accents are usually delivered as West Country, for some reason otherwise decent actors can't get their heads round our accents.

The only East Anglian accent that I can recall for a presenter of anything on TV was the Reverend Lionel Fanthorpe, who was from Dereham and presented a few things back in the late 90s and early noughties, most notably Fortean TV

John Thaw in Goodnight Mr Tom did a more fairly decent Suffolk accent

If any posters are from Beccles and know the Bryant family I am convinced John Thaw based how he played that on old Sam. (tho I doubt anyone will know who I mean there)

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

listen 'bor on 12:04 - Mar 19 with 1036 viewsbrazil1982

listen 'bor on 09:10 - Mar 19 by soupytwist

Dermot O'Leary was born and brought up in Colchester but doesn't really have an East Anglian accent.

Classes himself as Irish.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024