Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's 14:36 - May 10 with 1327 viewsTommyparker

To win a majority at the next general election Labour needs to gain 123 seats, almost teice as many as it required at the 2019 election.
This figure actually under-states the extent to which Labour's position has deteriorated. To secure almost three times more than the swing it needed to win the 2019 election.
63 per cent of the seats Labour needs to win are in in the North, the Midlands and Wales; 13 per cent are in Scotland; and 24 per cent are in southern England.
104 of the 123 seats Labour needs to win are in towns not cities ( by contrast over half of existing Labour seats are in cities).
Only 30 per cent of the 123 seats Labour needs to win voted 'remain' in the EU referendum, compared to around half of Labour's existing seats.
There is no electoral future in fighting a rear-guard action on Brexit. Senior Labour politicians need to emotionally and psychologically accept the reality of leaving the EU.
Labour must again debate how it works with other progressive parties because it's best hope of returning to power is govern in parterniship. More controversially, if Labour really wants power quickly, it may need to consider formal alliances.
2010 seats required 68 percentage swing required 4.6
2025 seats required 94 percentage swing required 8.7
2017 seats required 64 percentage swing required 3.6
2019 seats required 123 percentage swing required 10.3.
Labour's future prospects will be even worse if it cannot make progress in Scotland. To secure a UK majority without regaining seats in Scotland, Labour will need to win 57 per cent of the constituencies in England and Wales. Winning the 123 seats it needs in England and Wales will require an electoral swing of over 12 percentage points in English and Wales marginal seats.
A swing on this scale in England and Wales is almost inconceivable. This means that for Labour to return to government the party will either need to defeat the SNP or work with the SNP. The latter secnario seems more likely. Labour would need to gain 83 seats (but not from the SNP) to be able to govern with the support of the nationalists. Even this would require Labour to secure a swing in English and Wales marginals of 7 percentage points.
Overall Labour remains very strong in London ( with two thirds of seats) and strong in Wales, the North West, Yorkshire and Humber, and the North ( over 50 per cent of seats).
Labour had suffered a crushing defeat and is very unlikely to return to majority government in a single electoral cycle. But if the party does not make major progress over the next 4 or 5 years it cannot expect to secure power even after a further 10 years in opposition. A decisive change in direction is needed immediately.
For the Labour party to recover bit must rebuild support across the whole of Great Britain, but the new electoral map means that is top priority has to be Wales, the North and the Midlands. The party's mission must be to win support in towns and small cities, not the large cities that it already dominates.
This poses a profound challenge for the because its members, activists and politicians tend to come from large cities and are more socially liberal and pro-European than left-leaning voters in many towns.
Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:44 - May 10 with 1292 viewsStokieBlue

What exactly is the point in your constant posting of cut-and-paste propaganda?

I am pretty sure now is not the time to be worrying about the next election.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:48 - May 10 with 1268 viewsDubtractor

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:44 - May 10 by StokieBlue

SB

He is an odd poster.

Started out last summer posting tonnes of historic ITFC stats and trivia, but now seems to be pretty transparently political with tory sympathies.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:54 - May 10 with 1250 viewsBlueBadger

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:48 - May 10 by Dubtractor

He is an odd poster.

Started out last summer posting tonnes of historic ITFC stats and trivia, but now seems to be pretty transparently political with tory sympathies.

Imagine being so low in the Russian 'destabilise the west' team that you get this place as your brief.
I'm half expecting him to say something about Salisbury cathedral with every post.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:56 - May 10 with 1233 viewsTommyparker

He is an odd poster.

I live in Glasgow. Always voted SNP.
Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:56 - May 10 with 1234 viewsm14_blue

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:44 - May 10 by StokieBlue

SB

It’s the first time I’ve genuinely thought someone might be a bot.
Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:56 - May 10 with 1230 viewsfooters

He is an odd poster.

Never actually engages with anything either. Just posts C&P drivel and goes.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:00 - May 10 with 1220 viewsBlueBadger

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:56 - May 10 by m14_blue

It’s the first time I’ve genuinely thought someone might be a bot.

balls

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:08 - May 10 with 1209 viewsBlueBadger

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 14:56 - May 10 by Tommyparker

Glasgow is the most populous city in Scotland, and the third most populous city in the United Kingdom, as of the 2019 estimated city population of 611,748. Historically part of Lanarkshire, the city now forms the Glasgow City council area, one of the 32 council areas of Scotland; the local authority is Glasgow City Council. Glasgow is situated on the River Clyde in the country's West Central Lowlands. It is the fifth most visited city in the UK.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:12 - May 10 with 1176 viewseireblue

Hmmm, lives in Glasgow, likes to cut and paste.

Do you have an older relative that likes sanding, and talking about his time as a Tory councillor, and reframing your comments when you talk about the SNP?
Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:30 - May 10 with 1135 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:12 - May 10 by eireblue

Hmmm, lives in Glasgow, likes to cut and paste.

Do you have an older relative that likes sanding, and talking about his time as a Tory councillor, and reframing your comments when you talk about the SNP?

And another tedious bore to join Jaykay and a Herbiebore on the div list.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:31 - May 10 with 1126 viewsfooters

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:30 - May 10 by GlasgowBlue

Pop me on too please, luv.

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:36 - May 10 with 1108 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:31 - May 10 by footers

Edit. Unwarranted pop at footers for which I apologise.
[Post edited 10 May 2020 16:19]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:39 - May 10 with 1100 viewsfooters

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:36 - May 10 by GlasgowBlue

Edit. Unwarranted pop at footers for which I apologise.
[Post edited 10 May 2020 16:19]

I'll be speaking to Mel Hazelwood about this, you mark my words.

P.S. You doxed yourself on here just a couple of weeks ago. Lol. Hope you're OK.

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 16:13 - May 10 with 1050 viewsWeWereZombies

So these cut and pastes are from 'The National'?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 16:18 - May 10 with 1041 viewsEwan_Oozami

If Labour promised a 2nd Indyref, would you vote Labour rather than SNP?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 16:54 - May 10 with 994 viewseireblue

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:30 - May 10 by GlasgowBlue

Someone, that likes to make jokes and cutting comments about other posters, can’t take a joke/cutting remark.

Who’d a thunk it.
Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 18:00 - May 10 with 950 viewsmonytowbray

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 15:31 - May 10 by footers

Oh can I join the club too?

How are those “Herd immunity”, “Political Point Scoring” and “Oh so you know more than the scientists” arguments working out for you these days? Noticed you’ve been quiet lately.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 18:11 - May 10 with 924 viewsHerbivore

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 16:54 - May 10 by eireblue

Someone, that likes to make jokes and cutting comments about other posters, can’t take a joke/cutting remark.

Who’d a thunk it.

He's incredibly thin skinned. Anyone who gives a bit back in his much loved cut and thrust of political debate ends up going on ignore.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 18:14 - May 10 with 918 viewsmonytowbray

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 18:11 - May 10 by Herbivore

He's incredibly thin skinned. Anyone who gives a bit back in his much loved cut and thrust of political debate ends up going on ignore.

Called me a "d1ck" multiple times a few weeks back. Name dropped me as if I was some kind of leader of an anti-Tory brigade. Still hasn't admitted that maybe I had a point and it wasn't just "political point scoring".

Not that it f*cking matters now we have such a huge death toll, a f*cked economy and a lockdown that will last longer. But my whole narrative was just the fact I hate Tories apparently.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Labour's electoral challenge in the 2020's on 19:22 - May 10 with 860 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour has no chance in Scotland - and certainly not with a right-of-centre vibe that may play well in other areas of the country.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024