Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 17:47 - May 18 with 2858 viewshype313

I was at the home game and thought we should have won by a couple, didn't go to the away leg, were we that bad? Seen posts on a video today saying it looked like we hadn't played for 6 months etc

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 17:52 - May 18 with 2489 viewsgainsboroughblue

I didn't get that impression at the time. From memory, Bent had a one on one before half time that could/should have put us 2 up overall and may have helped quieten the crowd, which at that point hadn't cranked up to full volume.

Even right at the end, Westlake hit the post. Small margins etc.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 18:09 - May 18 with 2455 viewsLibero

Weird you mention this, I actually watched the entire game the other day as wanted to see what it was like in retrospect. Whole game below...

[Post edited 18 May 2020 18:09]
West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 18:19 - May 18 with 2419 viewshype313

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 18:09 - May 18 by Libero

Weird you mention this, I actually watched the entire game the other day as wanted to see what it was like in retrospect. Whole game below...

Cheers, the atmosphere at PR was brilliant that day, just such a shame we couldn't go into the 2nd with more of a cusion

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 18:21 - May 18 with 2421 viewsSomethingBlue

Don't think I have watched any of it back since. I seem to remember we were pretty flat and not exactly knocking at the door towards the end, but then Westlake hit the post right in front of us with virtually the final kick. I also recall Pardew running down the touchline high-fiving the fans when Dailly scored and it being one of those lovely, balmy play-off evenings that felt perfect til the match actually began.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 19:09 - May 18 with 2351 viewsSwansea_Blue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 18:09 - May 18 by Libero

Some cracking players on the pitch, on both sides. The intensity and commitment was soooo much higher than we've got used to seeing since. Makes me want to weep.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 19:51 - May 18 with 2279 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 17:52 - May 18 by gainsboroughblue

I didn't get that impression at the time. From memory, Bent had a one on one before half time that could/should have put us 2 up overall and may have helped quieten the crowd, which at that point hadn't cranked up to full volume.

Wasn’t Bent’s one on one pretty much in the first minute?

I’m wondering if the OP has got his West Ham playoff ties mixed up here. I recall the away leg being fairly hard fought and ultimately the crowd really carrying them that night (well that and Westlake not putting his effort at the end an inch to the right). Whereas the following year when we had the second leg at home we were atrocious, and completely failed to show up

I may be completely wrong on the first, as I was a bit merry, not to mention atrociously dressed it seems as my appearance on the Sky camera pre-match testifies! 🙈
[Post edited 18 May 2020 19:52]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:05 - May 18 with 2251 viewsTrequartista

Darren Bent was on fire in the first game, Royle blundered by subbing him with 20 minutes left.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:09 - May 18 with 2239 viewsBlueBadger

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:05 - May 18 by Trequartista

Darren Bent was on fire in the first game, Royle blundered by subbing him with 20 minutes left.

After the Upton Park leg, Drissa Diallo should have been set on fire.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:16 - May 18 with 2189 viewsStNeotsBlue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:09 - May 18 by BlueBadger

Think you've got this wrong, Diallo got torn apart in the 2nd leg at PR in 2005.
Edit - I may he wrong here.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 0:38]
West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:18 - May 18 with 2180 viewshype313

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 19:51 - May 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m wondering if the OP has got his West Ham playoff ties mixed up here. I recall the away leg being fairly hard fought and ultimately the crowd really carrying them that night (well that and Westlake not putting his effort at the end an inch to the right). Whereas the following year when we had the second leg at home we were atrocious, and completely failed to show up

I may be completely wrong on the first, as I was a bit merry, not to mention atrociously dressed it seems as my appearance on the Sky camera pre-match testifies! 🙈

Wasn't me saying we were bad, I just watched today andots of comments bemoaning our 2nd leg performance, I wasn't there so can't comment, but just remember reading we gave a fist of it, rather than looking hopeless.

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:19 - May 18 with 2179 viewshype313

Lol, he was a real marmite player

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:20 - May 18 with 2172 viewsTrequartista

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:19 - May 18 by hype313

The opposition had him on toast?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:21 - May 18 with 2163 viewsBlueBadger

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:19 - May 18 by hype313

Slow-moving, thick and only liked by masochists?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:21 - May 18 with 2161 viewshype313

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:21 - May 18 by BlueBadger

Slow-moving, thick and only liked by masochists?

Ahh, vegemite then, the poor man's version.

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:24 - May 18 with 2151 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:18 - May 18 by hype313

Wasn't me saying we were bad, I just watched today andots of comments bemoaning our 2nd leg performance, I wasn't there so can't comment, but just remember reading we gave a fist of it, rather than looking hopeless.

Ah sorry only skimread the OP, in that case either they’re misremembering or your typical knee jerk internet commenters. IMO of course

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:26 - May 18 with 2151 viewsSteve_M

He wasn't fit, rushed back street injury because Unsworth's loan had finished. He wasn't very good but there are mitigating circumstances for that match. Naylor was also blatantly fouled before one of the goals.

There's a good argument that had Royle bought a full back instead of Darren Currie then we might have gone up automatically. Full back cost us a lot: Karbasiyoon at Reading, Diallo as above, Richards in the second leg.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:31 - May 18 with 2122 viewshype313

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:24 - May 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ah sorry only skimread the OP, in that case either they’re misremembering or your typical knee jerk internet commenters. IMO of course

Hmm, the latter then..

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:32 - May 18 with 2126 viewsBlueBadger

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:26 - May 18 by Steve_M

He wasn't fit, rushed back street injury because Unsworth's loan had finished. He wasn't very good but there are mitigating circumstances for that match. Naylor was also blatantly fouled before one of the goals.

There's a good argument that had Royle bought a full back instead of Darren Currie then we might have gone up automatically. Full back cost us a lot: Karbasiyoon at Reading, Diallo as above, Richards in the second leg.

I feel like 'crap full backs' has been a big feature of the last 20 years. We haven't had good ones on BOTH flanks since Burley.

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:33 - May 18 with 2121 viewsgainsboroughblue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 19:51 - May 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It may well have been. Sketchy memory.

That second leg at Portman Road the next year was horrific though. I didn't go to the game but came back from London that day after a training course and the journey took 2 and a half hours as the train stopped at every station in Essex to allow more and more Hammers on.

I watched in the Plough and swore a lot at what was a pretty diabolical performance given the occassion.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 20:38]

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 21:00 - May 18 with 2057 viewsEastTownBlue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:16 - May 18 by StNeotsBlue

Think you've got this wrong, Diallo got torn apart in the 2nd leg at PR in 2005.
Edit - I may he wrong here.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 0:38]

It was the first leg in 2005. He was an unused sub for the second leg.
West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 21:39 - May 18 with 1991 viewsSwansea_Blue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 20:32 - May 18 by BlueBadger

I feel like 'crap full backs' has been a big feature of the last 20 years. We haven't had good ones on BOTH flanks since Burley.

Fab and Hermann? I'd gladly have them both back now (in their current condition!).

Ah I thought you were talking about Burley's time as a player, but you probably weren't. Ignore me.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 21:40]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 22:58 - May 18 with 1898 viewsNthQldITFC

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 18:19 - May 18 by hype313

Cheers, the atmosphere at PR was brilliant that day, just such a shame we couldn't go into the 2nd with more of a cusion

It was, but to be honest the noise at Upton Park in the second leg was something else. Unbelievable atmosphere, never heard anything like it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 23:01 - May 18 with 1891 viewsgainsboroughblue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 22:58 - May 18 by NthQldITFC

It was, but to be honest the noise at Upton Park in the second leg was something else. Unbelievable atmosphere, never heard anything like it.

Quite. I always say though that we made a hell of a din in the away end which would have come across brilliantly on TV. Trouble is, it was drowned out. Fair play to West Ham fans that night, I actually think they were the difference in that second half. Well, and the ballboys.

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 23:06 - May 18 with 1880 viewsbournemouthblue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 17:52 - May 18 by gainsboroughblue

It was very early on, that could have killed the game off

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 23:11 - May 18 with 1870 viewsgainsboroughblue

West ham 2nd leg play off 2004 on 23:06 - May 18 by bournemouthblue

It was very early on, that could have killed the game off

Yeah. I've been corrected on that. At least I was right saying it was before half time!

And yes, could and should have been a different story. I'd have fancied us against Palace in the final.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024