Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent 10:28 - May 26 with 1264 viewsSteve_M

Well worth a few minutes of your morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/25/world-cup-questions-why-did-eng

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 10:44 - May 26 with 1215 viewsPendejo

Gazza would have made a massive difference

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 10:51 - May 26 with 1207 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 10:44 - May 26 by Pendejo

Gazza had played a star role alongside Paul Ince when we qualified v Italy.

I know Gazza had his issues, but I still don't understand his omission.

I often wonder whether Hoddle made the decision based on personal rather than professional grounds.
[Post edited 26 May 2020 10:52]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 11:58 - May 26 with 1147 viewsdavblue

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 10:51 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Gazza had played a star role alongside Paul Ince when we qualified v Italy.

I know Gazza had his issues, but I still don't understand his omission.

I often wonder whether Hoddle made the decision based on personal rather than professional grounds.
[Post edited 26 May 2020 10:52]

Wasn't Gazza an Alcoholic at this point or very much verging on it? If i recall correctly.

Depends how much of a bad influence he was also, he was always one that needed to be managed and needed alot of monitoring.

I think we was finished at this point, i don't recall him doing anything of note.
Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 12:00 - May 26 with 1136 viewsdavblue

That Argentinian team had some serious talent.

Batistuta, Simeone, Zanetti, Veron, Crespo, Ayala, Ortega was a very good player to name a few.
Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 12:02 - May 26 with 1135 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 11:58 - May 26 by davblue

Wasn't Gazza an Alcoholic at this point or very much verging on it? If i recall correctly.

Depends how much of a bad influence he was also, he was always one that needed to be managed and needed alot of monitoring.

I think we was finished at this point, i don't recall him doing anything of note.

He played a key role in qualifying against a very strong Italian side a few months earlier.

At this point he had probably been a functioning alcoholic for a few years, not sure anything changed between Italy and final squad selection.

I've never heard any England players suggest that Gazza was a negative influence.

He was past his peak, but he always turned up at finals for England when selected.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 12:09 - May 26 with 1116 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 12:00 - May 26 by davblue

That Argentinian team had some serious talent.

Batistuta, Simeone, Zanetti, Veron, Crespo, Ayala, Ortega was a very good player to name a few.

Veron was immense in that period.

Ortega was a champ legend!

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 13:05 - May 26 with 1086 viewsFtnfwest

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 11:58 - May 26 by davblue

The decision to exclude him certainly nearly finished him although you can't lay the consequences at Hoddle's door of course. Mind you with ET to play having the option to bring him on instead of Lee or Batty could well have had a difference. It was all very odd, they made him play more of the warm up games than anyone else to prove his fitness, played very well in one of them as i recall, and then dropped him anyway.
Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 16:47 - May 26 with 996 viewsfactual_blue

Rob Smyth taking a fresh look at England - Argentina on 98 is excellent on 10:44 - May 26 by Pendejo

Has he visited Barnard Castle though?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024