Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Zealand not messing about 21:30 - Aug 11 with 3432 viewsSwansea_Blue

Four new cases in Auckland and bam - whole City in lockdown plus other measures across the country. Four cases.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53741091

We're having about 1,000 per day (passed 1,000 a couple of days ago for the first time since June).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New Zealand not messing about on 21:51 - Aug 11 with 3006 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

None of whom had travelled huh.

Considering their borders are shut to non citizens it Just goes to show how many A-Symptomatic cases there are. Complete lock down rather than just tracing who these 4 have been in contact with seems a bit ridiculous.
New Zealand not messing about on 21:53 - Aug 11 with 2989 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 21:51 - Aug 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

None of whom had travelled huh.

Considering their borders are shut to non citizens it Just goes to show how many A-Symptomatic cases there are. Complete lock down rather than just tracing who these 4 have been in contact with seems a bit ridiculous.

Not sure someone in the US who has made some excuses for your own shambolic approach is well placed to criticise NZ's approach as ridiculous, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

New Zealand not messing about on 21:55 - Aug 11 with 2973 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New Zealand not messing about on 21:53 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Not sure someone in the US who has made some excuses for your own shambolic approach is well placed to criticise NZ's approach as ridiculous, mate.

My approach? Excuses? Please explain.

Surely when you have eradicated the virus and have so few cases then you have the ability to contact trace and isolate. That's the point of contact tracing isn't it?
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 21:57]
New Zealand not messing about on 22:00 - Aug 11 with 2938 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 21:55 - Aug 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

My approach? Excuses? Please explain.

Surely when you have eradicated the virus and have so few cases then you have the ability to contact trace and isolate. That's the point of contact tracing isn't it?
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 21:57]

But as you pointed out there is the issue of asymptomatic cases and transmission, so whilst they've picked up on four cases there may well be more in circulation. Hence the lockdown, which isn't really a full blown lockdown and is only in place for 3 days.

New Zealand not messing about on 22:06 - Aug 11 with 2914 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New Zealand not messing about on 22:00 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

But as you pointed out there is the issue of asymptomatic cases and transmission, so whilst they've picked up on four cases there may well be more in circulation. Hence the lockdown, which isn't really a full blown lockdown and is only in place for 3 days.

So that's the point, we have no idea how many people have got it and even when you claim it's defeated it's likely there somewhere. So you go along as normal (at least out there, as they have had no known cases for so long) and then if a few cases come up you isolate them and contact trace.

Otherwise by the asymptomatic logic you'd just be in total lock down all the time as assuming it is there?

My general point was NZ is in the position where they can attempt to do what WHO/CDC etc have said everyone should have done from the start. Just seems a bit bizarre to stop everything for 72 hours, not sure what that really achieves.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 22:10]
New Zealand not messing about on 22:10 - Aug 11 with 2878 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 22:06 - Aug 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

So that's the point, we have no idea how many people have got it and even when you claim it's defeated it's likely there somewhere. So you go along as normal (at least out there, as they have had no known cases for so long) and then if a few cases come up you isolate them and contact trace.

Otherwise by the asymptomatic logic you'd just be in total lock down all the time as assuming it is there?

My general point was NZ is in the position where they can attempt to do what WHO/CDC etc have said everyone should have done from the start. Just seems a bit bizarre to stop everything for 72 hours, not sure what that really achieves.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 22:10]

It gives them three days to see whether anymore cases come up that might then help them to identify a cluster. It should mean three days where, if there are other cases, the risk of spread is reduced. I don't see why anyone would have an issue with this approach. They've been getting it very right so far, I think I'd put some faith in them on this one.

New Zealand not messing about on 22:15 - Aug 11 with 2845 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New Zealand not messing about on 22:10 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

It gives them three days to see whether anymore cases come up that might then help them to identify a cluster. It should mean three days where, if there are other cases, the risk of spread is reduced. I don't see why anyone would have an issue with this approach. They've been getting it very right so far, I think I'd put some faith in them on this one.

Possibly but with 4 cases and a city of 1.6M it seems quite weird. It probably makes more people rush out and mix together to get essentials from supermarkets etc. I guess they thought they had it beat so are not going to let up now.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 22:15]
New Zealand not messing about on 22:21 - Aug 11 with 2797 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 22:15 - Aug 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Possibly but with 4 cases and a city of 1.6M it seems quite weird. It probably makes more people rush out and mix together to get essentials from supermarkets etc. I guess they thought they had it beat so are not going to let up now.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 22:15]

I'm not sure the New Zealanders respond to these things in the same irrational, selfish ways many in the UK and US do, mate. That's part of the reason they managed to more or less eliminate it for weeks and weeks and could go back to a fairly normal existence.

Login to get fewer ads

New Zealand not messing about on 22:26 - Aug 11 with 2771 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New Zealand not messing about on 22:21 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

I'm not sure the New Zealanders respond to these things in the same irrational, selfish ways many in the UK and US do, mate. That's part of the reason they managed to more or less eliminate it for weeks and weeks and could go back to a fairly normal existence.

Yes you probably have a point but it's hardly apples to apples either.
New Zealand not messing about on 22:30 - Aug 11 with 2763 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 22:26 - Aug 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Yes you probably have a point but it's hardly apples to apples either.

You're right, can't really compare a grown up country with two that have childish sociopaths in charge.

New Zealand not messing about on 22:33 - Aug 11 with 2726 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New Zealand not messing about on 22:30 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

You're right, can't really compare a grown up country with two that have childish sociopaths in charge.

Get a room you two.

But wear face masks, and don't kiss.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New Zealand not messing about on 22:35 - Aug 11 with 2719 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New Zealand not messing about on 22:30 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Or an island in the southwest pacific with a population of under 5M and much less international traffic.
New Zealand not messing about on 22:35 - Aug 11 with 2713 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 22:33 - Aug 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Get a room you two.

But wear face masks, and don't kiss.

It's just a bit of flanter, mate, we don't need a chaperone.

New Zealand not messing about on 22:35 - Aug 11 with 2701 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New Zealand not messing about on 22:35 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

It's just a bit of flanter, mate, we don't need a chaperone.

Threes company.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New Zealand not messing about on 22:37 - Aug 11 with 2695 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New Zealand not messing about on 22:35 - Aug 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Threes company.

Not in a pandemic.
New Zealand not messing about on 22:40 - Aug 11 with 2670 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 22:35 - Aug 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Or an island in the southwest pacific with a population of under 5M and much less international traffic.

The attitude to the international traffic is probably more relevant than the volume, mate.

New Zealand not messing about on 22:47 - Aug 11 with 2650 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New Zealand not messing about on 22:40 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

The attitude to the international traffic is probably more relevant than the volume, mate.

Sure because international flights land in AKL just like they do at LHR/JFK/LAX/DFW/ATL etc oh wait!

NZ also stopped everything on March 19th, US restrictions came earlier but anyway the point is moot as much as the damage had been done. It was what happened afterwards where the battle was probably won and lost.

The UK policy on international arrivals has been bizarre throughout MATE.
New Zealand not messing about on 22:56 - Aug 11 with 2615 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 22:47 - Aug 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Sure because international flights land in AKL just like they do at LHR/JFK/LAX/DFW/ATL etc oh wait!

NZ also stopped everything on March 19th, US restrictions came earlier but anyway the point is moot as much as the damage had been done. It was what happened afterwards where the battle was probably won and lost.

The UK policy on international arrivals has been bizarre throughout MATE.

Yeah, international flights arrive there. It's not a local airport, mate.

Agreed. We've been at least as shambolic as the US in our response to this, to our eternal shame.

Nope on 06:56 - Aug 12 with 2410 viewsJonBlue

New Zealand not messing about on 22:21 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

From last 24 hours - "Covid-19 panic buying: PM calls for calm as hundreds queue outside supermarkets"

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/423310/covid-19-panic-buying-pm-calls-for-ca

The New Zealand government has handled it better but people are selfish the world over.
New Zealand not messing about on 06:56 - Aug 12 with 2407 viewsLibero

Sensible move, New Zealand have dealt with all this with distinction.
New Zealand not messing about on 07:59 - Aug 12 with 2324 viewsTractorWood

New Zealand not messing about on 06:56 - Aug 12 by Libero

Sensible move, New Zealand have dealt with all this with distinction.

Agree but a young and sparsely populated country at the end of the earth has a lot going for it. Notwithstanding early decisive action is to be applauded anywhere.

Vietnam's stats are amazing. 100 million population in SE Asia and they've not even had a 1,000 cases and have had 17 deaths. They are battling a few cases recently though.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

New Zealand not messing about on 08:45 - Aug 12 with 2278 viewsLibero

New Zealand not messing about on 07:59 - Aug 12 by TractorWood

Agree but a young and sparsely populated country at the end of the earth has a lot going for it. Notwithstanding early decisive action is to be applauded anywhere.

Vietnam's stats are amazing. 100 million population in SE Asia and they've not even had a 1,000 cases and have had 17 deaths. They are battling a few cases recently though.

I'm glad you agree, but I can't believe someone reported my original comment for abuse, lol.
New Zealand not messing about on 08:48 - Aug 12 with 2273 viewsTractorWood

New Zealand not messing about on 08:45 - Aug 12 by Libero

I'm glad you agree, but I can't believe someone reported my original comment for abuse, lol.

Don't think it was me but I've definitely fat fingered an abuse report or two.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

New Zealand not messing about on 08:50 - Aug 12 with 2270 viewsHerbivore

New Zealand not messing about on 08:45 - Aug 12 by Libero

That was me. I found your praise for New Zealand to be your usual lefty, anti-UK, unpatriotic claptrap. I'm calling for a ban at this point.

New Zealand not messing about on 08:52 - Aug 12 with 2263 viewsLibero

New Zealand not messing about on 08:50 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

That was me. I found your praise for New Zealand to be your usual lefty, anti-UK, unpatriotic claptrap. I'm calling for a ban at this point.

One of the more reasonable imaginary card wavings that I've experienced in the last month or so on here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024