Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early ITFC history 10:07 - Sep 29 with 5050 viewsitfcjoe

Sure not news to most, but interesting enough and was sent round to me this morning in a newsletter

Here is a brief history for you on how Ipswich School was instrumental in the formation of ITFC.

At the end of the 19th century, Ipswich School were playing Association Football. In 1878, George Sherrington (Old Ipswichian) aged 17, loved football but realised he would no longer be able to play the game after he left school.

So, he and other Ipswichians including brothers William (OI) and Sir Charles Sherrington (OI), Nobel prize winner and President of the Royal Society, formed the Ipswich Association Football Club. Exactly 100 years later Ipswich Town won the FA Cup at Wembley.

At the time rugby was played at Portman Road, so the club played at land on Broom Hill owned by their Sherrington family, which is why the road from there to Norwich Road is called Sherrington Road.

The club’s changing rooms were the Inkerman Public House on Norwich Road, which later became Sir Alf Ramsey’s local when he lived in Valley Road. Sir Alf’s house was but a stone throw from where Sir Charles Sherrington lived in Valley Road.

In 1888, the football and rugby clubs merged to become Ipswich Town Football Club.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Early ITFC history on 10:12 - Sep 29 with 2460 viewshype313

Cheers Joe, always interesting reading stuff like this, If I recall didn't we play our home games at Foxhall Stadium at one point?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Early ITFC history on 10:14 - Sep 29 with 2434 viewsclive_baker

Interesting bit of history, that. Perhaps explains why we're blue & white.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Early ITFC history on 10:17 - Sep 29 with 2427 viewsitfcjoe

Early ITFC history on 10:12 - Sep 29 by hype313

Cheers Joe, always interesting reading stuff like this, If I recall didn't we play our home games at Foxhall Stadium at one point?

Quite possibly, I need to read Susan Gardiner's history book at some point - but it wouldn't surprise me

Early ITFC history on 10:17 - Sep 29 with 2428 viewstextbackup

funny enough only yesterday we drove by the inkerman and I told my missus that it was the dressing rooms for when Town began...... she didn't give a single toss

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Early ITFC history on 10:17 - Sep 29 with 2426 viewsPJH

Not that I know of, although you could be right.

The old East Stand ('Chicken Run') ended up there though.

I remember seeing an 'All Stars' footie match at Foxhall Stadium with various pop stars playing but cannot remember who (no don't think it was Roger Daltrey)
Early ITFC history on 10:18 - Sep 29 with 2419 viewsitfcjoe

Early ITFC history on 10:17 - Sep 29 by textbackup

funny enough only yesterday we drove by the inkerman and I told my missus that it was the dressing rooms for when Town began...... she didn't give a single toss

Sir Alf's old house was on the market after his wife died a couple of years ago - still had some memorabilia up on the Rightmove listing - couldn't talk my wife into moving down that way!

Early ITFC history on 11:03 - Sep 29 with 2303 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Glad we kicked the egg chasers out of our club!
Early ITFC history on 11:06 - Sep 29 with 2303 viewsWeWereZombies

The information boards outside Broom Hill swimming pool and by the pavement side of Ipswich School are a good read on this if you happen to be passing.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Early ITFC history on 11:10 - Sep 29 with 2291 viewsclive_baker

Early ITFC history on 11:06 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

The information boards outside Broom Hill swimming pool and by the pavement side of Ipswich School are a good read on this if you happen to be passing.

I liked Ipswich School because whenever we used to play them at sports they would lay on a lovely spread in the Harry Potter-esque banqueting hall. They came to our gaff in the reverse fixture and were lucky if they got a cheese roll.

Early ITFC history on 11:11 - Sep 29 with 2282 viewsKieran_Knows

Early ITFC history on 10:18 - Sep 29 by itfcjoe

Sir Alf's old house was on the market after his wife died a couple of years ago - still had some memorabilia up on the Rightmove listing - couldn't talk my wife into moving down that way!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=64822288&sale=

Wonderful!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Early ITFC history on 11:12 - Sep 29 with 2280 viewsitfcjoe

Early ITFC history on 11:10 - Sep 29 by clive_baker

I liked Ipswich School because whenever we used to play them at sports they would lay on a lovely spread in the Harry Potter-esque banqueting hall. They came to our gaff in the reverse fixture and were lucky if they got a cheese roll.

I went to Ipswich, and compared to most of the other schools we went to on the Private School circuit we were the poor relations for the banqueting hall and spread put on.....some were unbelievable, mostly those that were nearly fully boarding schools. I especially liked having chocolate milkshake on tap at Framlingham College

Early ITFC history on 11:14 - Sep 29 with 2262 viewsclive_baker

Early ITFC history on 11:11 - Sep 29 by Kieran_Knows

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=64822288&sale=

Wonderful!

That's class. I hope that offer of £430k was conditional on the portrait on the stairs being included in the fixtures & fittings.

Early ITFC history on 11:16 - Sep 29 with 2252 viewsITFC_Forever

I can't believe Sir Alf used to pop in to the Inkerman for a few beers.

And I would say the Dales was closer and therefore his local.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Early ITFC history on 11:17 - Sep 29 with 2247 viewsDouble_Dutch

Early ITFC history on 11:10 - Sep 29 by clive_baker

We used to play our Saturday fixtures at the Ipswich School playing fields on Valley Road, never did know why and, from memory, don't ever recall playing Ipswich School.
Early ITFC history on 11:20 - Sep 29 with 2246 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure I've heard that before. Here's a bit I did on the formation on the 140th anniversary.

Town 140 Years Old Today 16th Oct 2018 10:11
Today, October 16th, marks the 140th anniversary of the formation of Ipswich Town Football Club. 8

Early ITFC history on 11:22 - Sep 29 with 2235 viewsPhilTWTD

Early ITFC history on 10:17 - Sep 29 by PJH

Not that I know of, although you could be right.

The old East Stand ('Chicken Run') ended up there though.

I remember seeing an 'All Stars' footie match at Foxhall Stadium with various pop stars playing but cannot remember who (no don't think it was Roger Daltrey)

I was there, was about 1976, wasn't it? Didn't Lenny Henry, who I would guess had just hit fame, commentated over the PA?
Early ITFC history on 11:23 - Sep 29 with 2228 viewsclive_baker

Early ITFC history on 11:12 - Sep 29 by itfcjoe

I went to Ipswich, and compared to most of the other schools we went to on the Private School circuit we were the poor relations for the banqueting hall and spread put on.....some were unbelievable, mostly those that were nearly fully boarding schools. I especially liked having chocolate milkshake on tap at Framlingham College

Oh really? Gutted we never got to go to those! Most of the places we went to you were lucky to get out without a black eye.

Norwich School was nice, I remember going there once for a tournament once. I thought Ipswich School was old, that place was established in 11th Century. Bonkers.

Early ITFC history on 11:27 - Sep 29 with 2204 viewsWeWereZombies

Early ITFC history on 11:16 - Sep 29 by ITFC_Forever

I can't believe Sir Alf used to pop in to the Inkerman for a few beers.

And I would say the Dales was closer and therefore his local.

The Inkerman is closer to Sir Alf's former home I would say, just the quiet walk down Westwood Avenue parallel to Valley Road and then across Norwich Road by the double roundabout. The Dales would either be an uphill slog along Valley Road and then hang a left at the top for a down and up along Dale Hall Lane to the pub and shops; or hop over the garden fence and meander across Broom Hill Park before snaking through Pine View Road, Park View Road and Cotswold Avenue onto Dale Hall Lane.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Early ITFC history on 11:28 - Sep 29 with 2203 viewsSomethingBlue

Early ITFC history on 10:18 - Sep 29 by itfcjoe

A primary school (and later at IS come to think of it) mate of mine lived next door and a couple of times as I kid I remember being on the climbing frame and peering over seeing SAR mowing his lawn. Was really too young to understand how famous he was when told!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Early ITFC history on 11:33 - Sep 29 with 2162 viewsPJH

Early ITFC history on 11:22 - Sep 29 by PhilTWTD

I was there, was about 1976, wasn't it? Didn't Lenny Henry, who I would guess had just hit fame, commentated over the PA?

It was no doubt sometime in the 1970's.

I have an idea that Tommy Steele was playing (football not music) and just maybe Ray and Dave Davies.

I (obviously) do not remember much about it but I do remember being thee.

You may well be right about Lenny Henry.

edit-I have just googled 'celebrity football match Foxhall Stadium' and one in 1959 between a Show Biz XI and an All Stars team comes up.
It is possible that that is the one that I am thinking of and would explain Tommy Steele but would rule out Ray and Dave Davies.
Bit of a difference between 1959 and mid 1970's though
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 11:41]
Early ITFC history on 11:34 - Sep 29 with 2149 viewshype313

Early ITFC history on 11:20 - Sep 29 by PhilTWTD

Not sure I've heard that before. Here's a bit I did on the formation on the 140th anniversary.

Town 140 Years Old Today 16th Oct 2018 10:11
Today, October 16th, marks the 140th anniversary of the formation of Ipswich Town Football Club. 8

Cheers Phil, decent read, I might have got that mixed up, or perhaps someone told me we may have played a couple of games at Foxhall around the War time?

Early ITFC history on 11:35 - Sep 29 with 2146 viewsITFC_Forever

Early ITFC history on 11:27 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

The Inkerman is closer to Sir Alf's former home I would say, just the quiet walk down Westwood Avenue parallel to Valley Road and then across Norwich Road by the double roundabout. The Dales would either be an uphill slog along Valley Road and then hang a left at the top for a down and up along Dale Hall Lane to the pub and shops; or hop over the garden fence and meander across Broom Hill Park before snaking through Pine View Road, Park View Road and Cotswold Avenue onto Dale Hall Lane.

I'm pretty sure SAR's house was nearer the top of the Valley Road hill, nearer the Dale Hall Lane junction than you're thinking?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Early ITFC history on 11:35 - Sep 29 with 2152 viewsBarcaBlue

Early ITFC history on 11:23 - Sep 29 by clive_baker

Oh really? Gutted we never got to go to those! Most of the places we went to you were lucky to get out without a black eye.

Norwich School was nice, I remember going there once for a tournament once. I thought Ipswich School was old, that place was established in 11th Century. Bonkers.

Bizarrely Nortgate arranged cricket matches almost exclusively against public schools, I remember going to Wymondham College, Culford, Holbrook and playing against one of the Offiah brothers at Woolverstone (I think it was). We always batted second so matches would last more than half an hour. Don't recall getting more than orange squash and cucumber sandwiches - guess the good stuff was reserved for the non-plebs.
Early ITFC history on 11:37 - Sep 29 with 2139 viewsPhilTWTD

Early ITFC history on 11:33 - Sep 29 by PJH

It was no doubt sometime in the 1970's.

I have an idea that Tommy Steele was playing (football not music) and just maybe Ray and Dave Davies.

I (obviously) do not remember much about it but I do remember being thee.

You may well be right about Lenny Henry.

edit-I have just googled 'celebrity football match Foxhall Stadium' and one in 1959 between a Show Biz XI and an All Stars team comes up.
It is possible that that is the one that I am thinking of and would explain Tommy Steele but would rule out Ray and Dave Davies.
Bit of a difference between 1959 and mid 1970's though
[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 11:41]

I have got the programme somewhere but not where I'd be able to lay my hands on it today. I believe Bobby Robson played and maybe some speedway riders as well. I can remember sitting watching it but nothing about the game itself. The programme I have has an unidentified autograph on it, if I remember rightly.
Early ITFC history on 11:38 - Sep 29 with 2129 viewshype313

Early ITFC history on 11:35 - Sep 29 by ITFC_Forever

I'm pretty sure SAR's house was nearer the top of the Valley Road hill, nearer the Dale Hall Lane junction than you're thinking?

It was 41 Valley Road

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024