Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today was my... 18:20 - Oct 5 with 1697 viewsTIB

first day being self-employed. Technically it was Thursday last week, but today felt more real and the first day I could finally just focus solely on AWAY DAYS!!!

Nearly nine years I worked at a private mental healthcare hospital, first brought in to develop a music based therapy service before moving into the Education department which I ended up leading for the last two years. We found out the hospital was being sold to the NHS just before lockdown so it was a bit of a double whammy once covid hit but we got through and last Wednesday was my final day...I waved off the final service user, sent my last emails, handed in my belt and alarm and that was that.

I've seen and heard some things in my time there...the amount of times I said "I've seen it all now" and then something would come along and make me repeat the phrase. I had a lad try and stab me with a "shank" two years back...luckily his prison art and craft skills weren't up to scratch so it was only a few cuts to my arm and a cut lip and eye I was left with. Overall though, a real life experience the last nine years, with highs and low and leaving with some friends for life.

Back to the title though...today was my first day being self-employed with Away Days. I started the day at 6am with a 2.5 mile walk to layout my goals for the day then jumped onto social media to post some bits. I've got social media training Wednesday which should be interesting...I guess it's more than just GIFs and hashtags!?! The rest of the day has been emails and phone calls as I'm busy preparing to launch new beers and a new subscription / online ordering aspect to Away Days so it's been a bit of a shock to the system just sitting in silence!!!

I'd be interested to hear from other self-employed folk / people that work from home and how they go about their days? I know I'll be out and about more once the new look Away Days is live, but today at one point was bizarre as I realised I've gone from chatting and teaching all day, banter in the office...to sat on my sofa with the dog, just emailing away!?! A bit of a shock.

Any advice would be much appreciated though.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Today was my... on 18:59 - Oct 5 with 1622 viewsjeera

Hello mate, well done you.

I have no experience in your field but wish you well.

I was/have been self-employed for much of my life though and if there's one thing that applies to everyone, it is keep on top of your books. It's easy to put them to one side and tell yourself you'll do them later. Make time and stick to it.

It doesn't matter how hard you work, how successful you become. If you mess your books up it'll cost you dearly in the long run.

Sorry if that sounds obvious, but I cannot stress how important it is.

Good luck to you.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Today was my... on 19:30 - Oct 5 with 1588 viewsfactual_blue

The key points for using social media are to include lots of clips of Cats Falling Off Things, and Pandas On A Slide.

All the very best with Away Days

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Today was my... on 20:04 - Oct 5 with 1549 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Today was my... on 20:17 - Oct 5 with 1532 viewsCBBlue

Good luck. It's such a liberating feeling doing what you love and knowing you only have yourself to answer to - and because you know the buck stops with you you don't mind putting in all those extra hours.

When I left work to go self employed and work from home I found an online forum in the area my business was and the other members almost became my new 'work colleagues'. I ended up moderating on there and the other moderators became friends (we even met up a few times even though we were spread out across the UK). I guess you could use TWTD as your social hangout but it's pretty easy to get dragged into 10-pagers here and lose half your working day!

You'll probably find you end up on first name terms with the lady at the post office and all the courier guys especially if they're the only humans you see IRL and your dog will wonder why you keep talking to him constantly....or maybe that's just me

Enjoy your social media training, you just have to look at PureGym today to see how important it is. Also, the number of people we ended up banning on the forum as they didn't understand the difference between organic 'advertising' and spamming was unreal - be helpful and friendly and people will naturally want to do business with you, you come across that way on here anyway so don't think you'll have a problem there.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Today was my... on 20:30 - Oct 5 with 1511 viewsTIB

Today was my... on 18:59 - Oct 5 by jeera

I was/have been self-employed for much of my life though and if there's one thing that applies to everyone, it is keep on top of your books. It's easy to put them to one side and tell yourself you'll do them later. Make time and stick to it.

It doesn't matter how hard you work, how successful you become. If you mess your books up it'll cost you dearly in the long run.

Good luck to you.

Cheers Jeera. This was a lesson I learned pretty early on...and still need reminding of!!! It's so easy to say "I'll do it tomorrow" and it just slips down pecking order.

Today was my... on 20:35 - Oct 5 with 1501 viewssyntaxerror

Website looks great, but when will you create an online shop?
Your margins are increased by selling direct to consumer then via shops etc.

Even look at local deliveries. Our local craft brewer in Brighton made a lot of money during lock-down with a local home delivery service for orders over £25.00

Also keep it updated - currently you have this:

Having launched in August 2018 with three different tipples, we are soon to launch two more in the run up to Christmas before 2019 will see the launch of a limited series of beers which we are incredibly excited to announce in the coming months.

Its the run up to Christmas 2020 and still just the 3.

Small details like that are important
[Post edited 5 Oct 2020 20:38]
Today was my... on 20:38 - Oct 5 with 1488 viewsTIB

Today was my... on 20:17 - Oct 5 by CBBlue

Good luck. It's such a liberating feeling doing what you love and knowing you only have yourself to answer to - and because you know the buck stops with you you don't mind putting in all those extra hours.

When I left work to go self employed and work from home I found an online forum in the area my business was and the other members almost became my new 'work colleagues'. I ended up moderating on there and the other moderators became friends (we even met up a few times even though we were spread out across the UK). I guess you could use TWTD as your social hangout but it's pretty easy to get dragged into 10-pagers here and lose half your working day!

You'll probably find you end up on first name terms with the lady at the post office and all the courier guys especially if they're the only humans you see IRL and your dog will wonder why you keep talking to him constantly....or maybe that's just me

Enjoy your social media training, you just have to look at PureGym today to see how important it is. Also, the number of people we ended up banning on the forum as they didn't understand the difference between organic 'advertising' and spamming was unreal - be helpful and friendly and people will naturally want to do business with you, you come across that way on here anyway so don't think you'll have a problem there.

Yeah it's been a long time coming to this point. I never really knew what I wanted to do...teaching was never on the agenda until I learned about teaching in secure settings. Glad to be trying something different though and giving a drunken idea a real go!!!

I did used to be more active on here but with work and Away Days, I'm not on quite as much...TWTD and Ipswich fans were a big help originally though when I first toyed with idea setting up Away Days...maybe in time I'll drop a TWTD Tribute beer..."10 Pager Pale".

I'm excited about the social media training, in general I'm trying to create more than just a beer company, I'm looking to roll in a "zine" each month talking about beer and football and add in a vlog aspect, talking about beer, football and life in general. Lots to think about and pursue.

Today was my... on 20:42 - Oct 5 with 1485 viewsTIB

Today was my... on 20:35 - Oct 5 by syntaxerror

Website looks great, but when will you create an online shop?
Your margins are increased by selling direct to consumer then via shops etc.

Even look at local deliveries. Our local craft brewer in Brighton made a lot of money during lock-down with a local home delivery service for orders over £25.00

Also keep it updated - currently you have this:

Having launched in August 2018 with three different tipples, we are soon to launch two more in the run up to Christmas before 2019 will see the launch of a limited series of beers which we are incredibly excited to announce in the coming months.

Its the run up to Christmas 2020 and still just the 3.

Small details like that are important
[Post edited 5 Oct 2020 20:38]

Cheers Error. The website has been a nightmare as the original creator was trying to charge me a lot of money for "updates" that when speaking to other web knowledgeable folk, weren't required. I've managed to find a new guy who is currently redoing it with the shop element, latest beers, etc.

Login to get fewer ads

Today was my... on 21:04 - Oct 5 with 1458 viewssyntaxerror

Today was my... on 20:42 - Oct 5 by TIB

Cheers Error. The website has been a nightmare as the original creator was trying to charge me a lot of money for "updates" that when speaking to other web knowledgeable folk, weren't required. I've managed to find a new guy who is currently redoing it with the shop element, latest beers, etc.

Nice!
If Phil doesn't mind, let us know when its updated.

Any thought of branching out into Sours and Hazy IPAs?

Contacts are so important.

Two Tribes Brewing was started by people I know, who used to work in the music industry, and they are always doing music based collabs, same with Signature Brew.

Your hook is football, how are your contact networks for collaborations?

And bloggers - like this one:
https://insidethecask.com/2019/08/13/beer-and-football/
Today was my... on 21:13 - Oct 5 with 1439 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Today was my... on 18:59 - Oct 5 by jeera

Good luck to you.

Oh sh1t.....25 days. Really should take that advice one year!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Today was my... on 22:21 - Oct 5 with 1369 viewscatch74

Brilliant stuff TIB - is echo Jeera, books in order. We got an accountant which was a huge weight off my shoulders. Think doing your own is so much easier now with quick books etc.

The world is now your Oyston Stout.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Today was my... on 08:43 - Oct 6 with 1257 viewsTIB

Today was my... on 21:04 - Oct 5 by syntaxerror

Nice!
If Phil doesn't mind, let us know when its updated.

Any thought of branching out into Sours and Hazy IPAs?

Contacts are so important.

Two Tribes Brewing was started by people I know, who used to work in the music industry, and they are always doing music based collabs, same with Signature Brew.

Your hook is football, how are your contact networks for collaborations?

And bloggers - like this one:
https://insidethecask.com/2019/08/13/beer-and-football/

Some of the new beers coming out definitely have a more "craft" edge to them such "Schemichale" (
...bigger flavours...and bigger designs!!!

..a Sour style is something for the future...maybe saved for Mr Mourinho.

As for collabs, nothing as such. I had Kammy DM the other week though about one of my latest designs and he subsequently gave his approval of the design so I'm hoping to get some to him for a plug. Last year I managed to get some Ale'N Shearer to the man himself and I sold out within a few days. Madness that one photo can do that, but I've come understand that 1) it puts it in spotlight and 2) it creates consumer confidence seeing someone like that endorse it.

Learning so much each day. Yesterday I learned a lot about gazebos and vector files...today, time will tell!!!

Today was my... on 09:07 - Oct 6 with 1227 viewsKeno

good luck there Tibby!!

I echo what others have said about book keeping, and you will find an accountant can be useful.

Also, if it helps, I tend to use TWTD to me sane ...... oh

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Today was my... on 09:33 - Oct 6 with 1205 viewsclive_baker

Congratulations TIB!

I've never been self employed other than a bit of consulting on the side, so I can't give you too much advice in that respect, but the nature of your venture is very much in my wheelhouse (I think we exchanged PM's previously) and always here if a fellow town fan needed to run anything past me.

There's definitely merit in going D2C, especially in these times we're living in, but you might find that margins are more challenging. What you 'save' by way of retailer margins you'll likely invest back in delivery...and some. Especially with a product of that nature that's not a typical D2C proposition. It's relatively big, and relatively heavy, at a relatively low retail price, which can make the commercials difficult. It's not insurmountable, just be careful you're either charging some of that delivery back to the consumer or you're setting a minimum order value that makes each sale profitable. I've seen too many people focus on the top line online and come a cropper when they've seen the bill from Royal Mail. An ideal D2C product is light, 'letter box friendly' and a higher price point -condoms / pregnancy test / contact lenses etc. It can be really difficult with beer and such like as the cost of getting it to the customer is so high, so bare that in mind.

The other benefit of selling through retail is each distribution point is a touch point for your brand and as a marketing exercise that's valuable. You need to get the brand in as many people's hands as possible so a multi channel approach is still valid. It essentially becomes a door knocking exercise, building up distribution 1 store at a time. Talk to distributors too, who could be able to open doors. It adds another layer of margin into the chain, but can unlock volume.

I hope you keep enjoying it, I really admire people that carve out an income from their passions, what's life about if you can't do that? Football + Beer, you're a man after my own heart, Sir!

GL with it all.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Today was my... on 10:00 - Oct 6 with 1182 viewsTIB

Today was my... on 09:33 - Oct 6 by clive_baker

Congratulations TIB!

I've never been self employed other than a bit of consulting on the side, so I can't give you too much advice in that respect, but the nature of your venture is very much in my wheelhouse (I think we exchanged PM's previously) and always here if a fellow town fan needed to run anything past me.

There's definitely merit in going D2C, especially in these times we're living in, but you might find that margins are more challenging. What you 'save' by way of retailer margins you'll likely invest back in delivery...and some. Especially with a product of that nature that's not a typical D2C proposition. It's relatively big, and relatively heavy, at a relatively low retail price, which can make the commercials difficult. It's not insurmountable, just be careful you're either charging some of that delivery back to the consumer or you're setting a minimum order value that makes each sale profitable. I've seen too many people focus on the top line online and come a cropper when they've seen the bill from Royal Mail. An ideal D2C product is light, 'letter box friendly' and a higher price point -condoms / pregnancy test / contact lenses etc. It can be really difficult with beer and such like as the cost of getting it to the customer is so high, so bare that in mind.

The other benefit of selling through retail is each distribution point is a touch point for your brand and as a marketing exercise that's valuable. You need to get the brand in as many people's hands as possible so a multi channel approach is still valid. It essentially becomes a door knocking exercise, building up distribution 1 store at a time. Talk to distributors too, who could be able to open doors. It adds another layer of margin into the chain, but can unlock volume.

I hope you keep enjoying it, I really admire people that carve out an income from their passions, what's life about if you can't do that? Football + Beer, you're a man after my own heart, Sir!

GL with it all.

Thanks for that Clive. A lot of people like beer, and a lot of people like football so here's to hoping they'll like Away Days!!! Maybe Away Days condoms are one for the future.

Delivery and pricing in general have been a sticking point the last few weeks. I've found one courier who will take the products...like you say though, a cost comes with that due to the size and no one likes paying a big bill for postage etc.

Hopsters and Beers Of Europe have been huge in helping me get to this point...getting into other places has been tough. Pubs especially, as so many are tied. Others that aren't normally say "but we don't show football so why do we want your beer"!?! I was in with a nationwide wholesaler before the pandemic so I'm hoping when the pubs get back up to full speed I'll have more going to them as that really helped get my beers nationwide. Like you say, it's a door knocking / networking exercise, building one step at a time. One focal point at minute is to add another stop or two when I do Suffolk runs...Brantham Bull, Dove and Gladstone have been great since I started...would just be good to have some of the ITFC beers in more pubs across the county.

After the last nine years, I'm definitely welcoming this venture. No more mandatory training, people hounding me for reports, being called down to deal with incidents on ward etc. I just want to sell well crafted, reasonably priced, novelty football beers. Which reminds me, I will be doing the Trinity Park xmas fair this year...Pablo's Pale, The Beat and the rest will all be available!!!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 10:03]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024