Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last year it was postponing games...... 09:31 - Jan 15 with 2012 viewsitfcjoe

.....at every opportunity and the relentless negativity brought with it.

Now it's Covid, wanting the season stopped.

It's a football manager who doesn't want to play football - it sucks the life out of everything. Football is supposed to be a release from things.

Would it kill Lambert to try and be positive and bullish about things, we follow football to escape the monotony life has become with Covid - we don't want it rammed down our throat. We want to continue playing and get this season done as we are in a privileged position to be allowed to do so.

He's gone on for months on end (and rightly) that we should be being tested more with help from the authorities. That has now been put in place and he wants it cancelled.

If PL doesn't want to play, then step aside. He's financially comfortable and surely has no pressure to work - plenty of other people have taken an early retirement through choice due to this.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:34 - Jan 15 with 1470 viewsreusersfreekicks

Hmm, though no supporter of his with hospitals at critical levels i think he is right in this case
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 11:03]
Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:36 - Jan 15 with 1447 viewsdavblue

The message he sends to the players isn't great either.

In some ways i can see why he's saying it but are players going to want to postpone their careers for 12 - 18 months potentially.

Plus i suspect it would finish a lot of football clubs without a lot of financial help.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 9:40]
Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:36 - Jan 15 with 1431 viewsSitfcB

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:34 - Jan 15 by reusersfreekicks

Hmm, though no supporter of his with hospitals at critical levels i think he is right in this case

Although cases have risen a little in the football world, it’s surely one of the most controlled places around at the moment with all the procedures and twice weekly testing?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:37 - Jan 15 with 1416 viewsBluefish

You can't blame him for not believing in himself. No one has been closer to his repeated failure than him

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:37 - Jan 15 with 1433 viewsitfcjoe

How many of those cases are from football though? The reality is it should be effectively existing in a bubble now with the twice weekly testing stopping things at source.

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:38 - Jan 15 with 1406 viewsSomethingBlue

It's difficult. I think everyone involved in football is very fortunate to be working to some sort of normality at the moment and, while I'd disagree, can totally see the arguments for it pausing. As PL has clearly been hit hard-ish by his own infection I can see why he wouldn't wish it on others too.

But as you say it just gives off a certain impression: that we aren't really going for it, aren't really focused on making the best of the situation and aren't aware that this very weird season is nonetheless perhaps our most important ever. It's all so, so negative. Say the stuff he has said, but then caveat it with "but this is where we are, and as long as the season is on we're desperate to put things right here".
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 9:39]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:39 - Jan 15 with 1407 viewsDinnernotTea

So why did he want to carry on in March?

He and his agent aren't stupid (hence that 5 year deal). He knows if the season carries on there's every chance Evans pulls the trigger. Stop it now and he's likely to be here after the summer as well.

Make no mistake about it, it's Paul Lambert looking after Paul Lambert.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:39 - Jan 15 with 1402 viewsitfcjoe

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:36 - Jan 15 by davblue

The message he sends to the players isn't great either.

In some ways i can see why he's saying it but are players going to want to postpone their careers for 12 - 18 months potentially.

Plus i suspect it would finish a lot of football clubs without a lot of financial help.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 9:40]

It will end players careers, most of the playing squad doesn't have the luxury of 4 years left on their contract, and certainly aren't getting paid £10k+ a week.

Login to get fewer ads

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:41 - Jan 15 with 1359 viewsStokieBlue

It's a great gambit from his perspective though.

He looks like he cares about he pandemic and it's issues (which perhaps he does) but he also gets to not manage and thus not lose and keep taking those pay cheques.

Win-Win for PL.

I expected him to say nothing less.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:43 - Jan 15 with 1336 viewsitfcjoe

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:38 - Jan 15 by SomethingBlue

It's difficult. I think everyone involved in football is very fortunate to be working to some sort of normality at the moment and, while I'd disagree, can totally see the arguments for it pausing. As PL has clearly been hit hard-ish by his own infection I can see why he wouldn't wish it on others too.

But as you say it just gives off a certain impression: that we aren't really going for it, aren't really focused on making the best of the situation and aren't aware that this very weird season is nonetheless perhaps our most important ever. It's all so, so negative. Say the stuff he has said, but then caveat it with "but this is where we are, and as long as the season is on we're desperate to put things right here".
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 9:39]

It's just relentless negativity, and has been for months on end.

Most people have this negativity in their private and professional life to an extent, football is supposed to be something that boosts moral, and whilst results may not make that happen, taking a doom view on everything certainly doesn't either.

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:51 - Jan 15 with 1271 viewstractorboy1978

It was the same with O'Neill's interview last week. Talking about how it may affect players longer term, can they play professional sport for 90 minutes etc, rather than saying 'they've all trained well this week and are showing no ill effects, we can't wait to get going again'.

PL talks about media negativity but there is a negative slant put on everything every time PL/LO'N/ME (rarely) open their mouths. It is a constant managing and downplaying of expectations, looking for excuses that may be needed at a later date. It's an attitude that permeates from the top right throughout the club and it has done for years.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 9:52]
Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:53 - Jan 15 with 1249 viewsthebooks

I reckon you’re being a bit unfair. He was obviously knocked for six by COVID, and I think this is just a genuine opinion 🤷🏻‍♂️
Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:56 - Jan 15 with 1247 viewsitfcjoe

Some more positivity here this morning:

Asked if Downes and Norwood might be ready to start at the Pirelli Stadium tomorrow, Lambert said: “Err... I don’t know. Those guys have been out for a long time. I know they did well when they came on. They gave us that bit of enthusiasm which was badly needed on Saturday. "

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/lambert-gives-fitness-update-pre-burto

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:57 - Jan 15 with 1232 viewsGarv

The bloke's giving his opinion on a global issue, and if that's that football shouldn't be continuing because people are dying and that the health system is struggling to cope, then you can't really fault him. Obviously there are arguments both ways, which is why it is continuing, but he obviously thinks it's unwise. At the same time, he's employed whether you like it or not, so I imagine while that's the case he'll still turn up every day.

You only want him to be bullish if he's saying things you agree with.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I remember when he first joined.... on 10:01 - Jan 15 with 1190 viewsBloots

....and whilst I (obviously) knew he would be hopeless I had to admire his enthusiasm.

He was running up and down the line, practically kicking every ball, shouting (hopeless tactics) at the players, trying (but failing) to organise them.

At least he was making an effort.

But now he literally doesn't give one single toss.

It's embarrassing.

I despise him for what he is doing to our club.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:04 - Jan 15 with 1155 viewsBlueBadger

In all fairness, it's possibly a rare moment of self-awareness from him - he's recognised that sport should uplift people and that his particular brand of it isn't uplifting in any way.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:05 - Jan 15 with 1148 viewstextbackup

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:57 - Jan 15 by Garv

The bloke's giving his opinion on a global issue, and if that's that football shouldn't be continuing because people are dying and that the health system is struggling to cope, then you can't really fault him. Obviously there are arguments both ways, which is why it is continuing, but he obviously thinks it's unwise. At the same time, he's employed whether you like it or not, so I imagine while that's the case he'll still turn up every day.

to confirm, do you support him as staying as our manager?

if so, what exactly are you seeing that hundreds of other aren't?

if lambert spent more time looking at where we go wrong instead of talking bullsht about world issues or big clubs we might not be 8th in L1

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I remember when he first joined.... on 10:12 - Jan 15 with 1105 viewsitfcjoe

I remember when he first joined.... on 10:01 - Jan 15 by Bloots

....and whilst I (obviously) knew he would be hopeless I had to admire his enthusiasm.

He was running up and down the line, practically kicking every ball, shouting (hopeless tactics) at the players, trying (but failing) to organise them.

At least he was making an effort.

But now he literally doesn't give one single toss.

It's embarrassing.

I despise him for what he is doing to our club.

Yep, when we went down we looked in decent shape to bounce back in my view (as evidenced by the start?)

He's a shadow of that man who walked in, it's dire to watch. The only time he had that enthusiasm again was in the wake of the new contract in January - he was bouncing around again (and we put a run of decent form together)

As pointless as his red was at Norwich, and I personally found the behaviour embarrassing, he at least had a bit of something about him

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:13 - Jan 15 with 1084 viewsGarv

Last year it was postponing games...... on 09:56 - Jan 15 by itfcjoe

Some more positivity here this morning:

Asked if Downes and Norwood might be ready to start at the Pirelli Stadium tomorrow, Lambert said: “Err... I don’t know. Those guys have been out for a long time. I know they did well when they came on. They gave us that bit of enthusiasm which was badly needed on Saturday. "

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/lambert-gives-fitness-update-pre-burto

He's hardly going to say "yeah, they'll play, 100%" is he?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:13 - Jan 15 with 1079 viewsBlueBadger

I was just surprised he didn't mention how they're doing things in Germany.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 10:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:14 - Jan 15 with 1069 viewsBlueBadger

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:13 - Jan 15 by Garv

He's hardly going to say "yeah, they'll play, 100%" is he?

It's literally his job to know..
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 10:54]

The thing is Paul.... on 10:16 - Jan 15 with 1066 viewsBloots

....you are employed to do a job.

Your job is to win enough football matches to get us promoted out of the 3rd Division.

You aren't doing that.

You are entitled to your opinion on the pandemic, but it's not your first priority.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:16 - Jan 15 with 1057 viewsSitfcB

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:13 - Jan 15 by BlueBadger

I was just surprised he didn't mention how they're doing things in Germany.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 10:14]

I was fully expecting to read something about Germany when I was reading that story about what he said on 5 live yesterday!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:19 - Jan 15 with 1041 viewsBlueBadger

Last year it was postponing games...... on 10:16 - Jan 15 by SitfcB

I was fully expecting to read something about Germany when I was reading that story about what he said on 5 live yesterday!

The other thing here is, back last March he was desperate to carry on because he was trying to run with the whole 'we can still make the playoffs' thing.

Essentially, he's doing the PRP thing and trying to find a way of making himself look good whilst also pushing the angle that's mostly likely to keep him in a job that he hasn't deserved to keep since May 2019.

I remember when he first joined.... on 10:20 - Jan 15 with 1035 viewsBlueBadger

I remember when he first joined.... on 10:12 - Jan 15 by itfcjoe

Yep, when we went down we looked in decent shape to bounce back in my view (as evidenced by the start?)

He's a shadow of that man who walked in, it's dire to watch. The only time he had that enthusiasm again was in the wake of the new contract in January - he was bouncing around again (and we put a run of decent form together)

As pointless as his red was at Norwich, and I personally found the behaviour embarrassing, he at least had a bit of something about him

Lambert when he first came in...

Vs how he is now

[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 10:21]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024