Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Legendary games of the Evans era 21:02 - Feb 12 with 1663 viewspointofblue

Marcus Evans has been in charge of Ipswich for over 12 years now. Can anyone remember many stand out games from that period - ones where fans say "I was ther" with pride rather than embarrassment?

I'd probably go with:
19/04/09: Ipswich 3-2 Norwich (Jim's final game and the last time we've defeated Norwich to date)
25/04/09: Cardiff 0-3 Ipswich (Keane's first and the last match to be held at Ninian Park)
18/12/10: Ipswich 3-0 Leicester (snow game)
12/01/11: Ipswich 1-0 Arsenal (League Cup semi final)
05/11/11: Ipswich 2-3 Doncaster (due to the fans reaction to Billy Sharp)
31/01/12: Ipswich 5-1 West Ham (a bit of punishment for the play off defeats but not nearly enough)
16/12/14: Brentford 2-4 Ipswich (laying a marker down at one of the promotion contenders)
21/03/15: Watford 0-1 Ipswich (Chaplow's last minute winner)
15/08/17: Millwall 3-4 Ipswich (absolute thriller)
05/05/19: Ipswich 3-2 Leeds (for the atmosphere - was electric)

Not even one a year unless I've missed anything obvious?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:15 - Feb 12 with 1622 viewsSteve_M

Plenty more under MM:

- Derby away in 2013, crap game but Edwards win it in injury time;
- Brighton away and Derby home in the same week in 2014, two great games but the second especially was brilliant;
- Watford at PR in late 2015, Williams getting kicked out of the game but Tommy Smith forcing the ball home for a deserved win;
- Boro, Leeds & Charlton at home Dec 2014. Brentford was the stand-out performance but those three were the supporting cast.
- Forest April 2015. The first goal at the end of a minute of applause due a fan, the winner very late on, big crowd;
- the whole day of the home play-off against that lot. I think every publican in Ipswich enjoyed that day;
- Sunderland 5-2 in Sep 2017, we played some great football that day, could have scored more;
- Forest 4-2 in Dec 17. Fun game, good goals all round.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:17 - Feb 12 with 1606 viewschrismakin

Peterborough 2 ipswich 1

Such a close game

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:18 - Feb 12 with 1599 viewshomer_123

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:21 - Feb 12 with 1589 viewsistanblue

You're stretching the term 'legendary' quite a bit. Nevertheless, given some of the games you've mentioned not being that good/important, you'd also have to include:

26/09/09: Ipswich 0-4 Newcastle (Great atmosphere for SBR tribute game which saw the North Stand officially renamed the Sir Bobby Robson Stand. Shame about the terrible performance and result)

10/12/11: Barnsley 3-5 Ipswich (We'd lost 7 on the bounce and Jewell seemed certain to be gone if we lost. Were 2-0 down at HT and then scored 5 to comeback and win 5-3 at Oakwell)

17/04/17: Ipswich 3-1 Newcastle (Nothing to play for from our perspective but Newcastle were going for automatic promotion and to put in such a good performance was great. Huws scored a stunner as well, with Murphy returning and scoring against us)
Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:22 - Feb 12 with 1584 viewspointofblue

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:15 - Feb 12 by Steve_M

Plenty more under MM:

- Derby away in 2013, crap game but Edwards win it in injury time;
- Brighton away and Derby home in the same week in 2014, two great games but the second especially was brilliant;
- Watford at PR in late 2015, Williams getting kicked out of the game but Tommy Smith forcing the ball home for a deserved win;
- Boro, Leeds & Charlton at home Dec 2014. Brentford was the stand-out performance but those three were the supporting cast.
- Forest April 2015. The first goal at the end of a minute of applause due a fan, the winner very late on, big crowd;
- the whole day of the home play-off against that lot. I think every publican in Ipswich enjoyed that day;
- Sunderland 5-2 in Sep 2017, we played some great football that day, could have scored more;
- Forest 4-2 in Dec 17. Fun game, good goals all round.

Forgot about the minute's applause which led to a goal - that was really special. I agree, the home game against Norwich was pretty good and we went toe-to-toe with them that day.

Didn't we score another last minute winner away at Charlton in 2014? Seem to remember Noel Hunt netted very late on.

The Sunderland win was very entertaining and after the 4-2 v Forest we were seventh - I don't think anyone could sense what was going to happen over the next few months even if the tension was slowly growing.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:23 - Feb 12 with 1566 viewsgainsboroughblue

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:17 - Feb 12 by chrismakin

Peterborough 2 ipswich 1

Such a close game

More than deserved a point out of that.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:33 - Feb 12 with 1541 viewspointofblue

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:21 - Feb 12 by istanblue

You're stretching the term 'legendary' quite a bit. Nevertheless, given some of the games you've mentioned not being that good/important, you'd also have to include:

26/09/09: Ipswich 0-4 Newcastle (Great atmosphere for SBR tribute game which saw the North Stand officially renamed the Sir Bobby Robson Stand. Shame about the terrible performance and result)

10/12/11: Barnsley 3-5 Ipswich (We'd lost 7 on the bounce and Jewell seemed certain to be gone if we lost. Were 2-0 down at HT and then scored 5 to comeback and win 5-3 at Oakwell)

17/04/17: Ipswich 3-1 Newcastle (Nothing to play for from our perspective but Newcastle were going for automatic promotion and to put in such a good performance was great. Huws scored a stunner as well, with Murphy returning and scoring against us)

I suppose the Newcastle defeat counts in a similar way as the Doncaster defeat noted though the crowd were really restless for much of that game. The club did everything right off the pitch but was a mess on it.

I nearly did put the 5-3 at Barnsley but it caused more problems than it solved. In isolation it was a legendary match, true.

The 3-1 win over the Magpies was good but they helped by resting a few of their key players.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:36 - Feb 12 with 1537 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A few more good ones off the top of my head, legendary is stretching it but then by definition you only get a legendary game now and then IMO...

6-0 at Doncaster under Jewell

1-0 Charlton away - Noel HUNT

2-0 Middlesbrough, possibly the second best performance under McCarthy behind Brentford away

2-1 Derby in the playoff season, Berra last minute winner

5-2 Sunderland at home

But yes, it’s been pretty cack generally
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 21:37]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:49 - Feb 12 with 1505 viewspointofblue

Legendary games of the Evans era on 21:36 - Feb 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A few more good ones off the top of my head, legendary is stretching it but then by definition you only get a legendary game now and then IMO...

6-0 at Doncaster under Jewell

1-0 Charlton away - Noel HUNT

2-0 Middlesbrough, possibly the second best performance under McCarthy behind Brentford away

2-1 Derby in the playoff season, Berra last minute winner

5-2 Sunderland at home

But yes, it’s been pretty cack generally
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 21:37]

Forgot about the Middlesbrough 2-0; I was sure after that game we were going up automatically, we were so much better than them.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:15 - Feb 12 with 1455 viewsChurchman

Charlton 0-1 Ipswich. Went with a buddy who is a Sunderland supporter and we spent the afternoon in a pub near Charlton by the river then Borough Market pubs starting there with the Barrow Boy. Messy.

Middlesbrough 2-0 home that season. We played really well. Rare for a /MM team.

Derby 2-1 at home when Jonny Williams scored that wonderful goal.
Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:41 - Feb 12 with 1419 viewsBlueBadger

I like the bit where you chose a game in which we were already relegated and won an entirely meaningless game, but people cheered a bit, so it was OK.

Peak banter era.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:43 - Feb 12 with 1414 viewspointofblue

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:41 - Feb 12 by BlueBadger

I like the bit where you chose a game in which we were already relegated and won an entirely meaningless game, but people cheered a bit, so it was OK.

Peak banter era.

True but it is a game that sticks in my head for the right reasons.

If we played like that more often than not in 19/20 we'd be back in the Championship this season. But it's clear it's an exception rather than rule.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:45 - Feb 12 with 1407 viewsJ2BLUE

Legendary? Beating Norwich at home by one goal is legendary?

Holy fook.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:54 - Feb 12 with 1387 viewspointofblue

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:45 - Feb 12 by J2BLUE

Holy fook.

It's the only time we've beaten them under Evans.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:55 - Feb 12 with 1378 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:15 - Feb 12 by Churchman

Charlton 0-1 Ipswich. Went with a buddy who is a Sunderland supporter and we spent the afternoon in a pub near Charlton by the river then Borough Market pubs starting there with the Barrow Boy. Messy.

Middlesbrough 2-0 home that season. We played really well. Rare for a /MM team.

Derby 2-1 at home when Jonny Williams scored that wonderful goal.

Copycat

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:58 - Feb 12 with 1372 viewsBlueBadger

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:43 - Feb 12 by pointofblue

True but it is a game that sticks in my head for the right reasons.

If we played like that more often than not in 19/20 we'd be back in the Championship this season. But it's clear it's an exception rather than rule.

In classic Lambert fashion, he pulled it out when it was needed most - to keep him in a job by selling season tickets.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:58 - Feb 12 with 1371 viewspointofblue

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:58 - Feb 12 by BlueBadger

In classic Lambert fashion, he pulled it out when it was needed most - to keep him in a job by selling season tickets.

We'll probably win tomorrow then.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 06:47 - Feb 13 with 1257 viewsBlueBadger

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:58 - Feb 12 by pointofblue

We'll probably win tomorrow then.

Shrews Away Predictions by BlueBadger 12 Feb 2021 10:55
Weirdly, I think we will get a win that keeps Lambert in a job for another few weeks ala Jewell, because he'll claim that 'the new lads are gelling and improving the side'.

On the grounds that we're perfectly competent flat-track bullies and they seem like exactly the sort of side that we should be beating.

Although Shrewsbury's recent good form may skew this.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 07:05 - Feb 13 with 1252 viewsBlueBadger

Legendary games of the Evans era on 22:45 - Feb 12 by J2BLUE

Holy fook.

Low bars Jitters, the secret to success in the Evans years.

Legendary games of the Evans era on 07:11 - Feb 13 with 1242 viewsgordon

Last minute winner at home to Shrewsbury under lockdown earlier this season. Absolute scenes on Ifollow.
Legendary games of the Evans era on 10:03 - Feb 13 with 1086 viewsGarv

West Ham away 0-1 - Bowyer?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Legendary games of the Evans era on 10:12 - Feb 13 with 1061 viewsnoggin

I don't know how you lot remember this stuff. I can barely remember what I had for dinner yesterday.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Legendary games of the Evans era on 10:18 - Feb 13 with 1050 viewsPinewoodblue

09/11/13 Blackpool away 2-3. Dramatic late winner, sadly one fans last game.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024